"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Anyone Here Use Stevia Sweetner?

i went to the doctor because of extreme pain & pressure in my urinary tract, and SURPRISE to me... he said that i should back off the SPLENDA!

now, i'm going to use the stevia sweetner...

anyone here got any tips for using this stuff... in cold drinks like tea, in hot drinks like coffee, and for baking????

Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sorry if this is a repost...

Old 12-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Master Chef

The Stevia.Net site has a lot of good information - click on Recipes and Tips at the top of the page. One of the things they point out is that it's hard to give a definative sugar to steiva conversion chart because different suppliers process it in different ways ... some have fillers and some don't, for example.

Baking yeast breads seems to be a big problem since stevia does not feed the yeast. However, quick breads that are not leavened by yeast would work.

A quick Google search for Stevia Recipes found several sites that might give you some ideas.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I don't know about stevia - however, I do know about nutrasweet-just like splenda, stay away! IMO, any artificial sweetener is not worth potential health risks - sugar ain't so bad!
Old 12-25-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I haven't tried Stevia but I just joined Weight Watchers and the group leader is recommending Stevia over other sweetners. Not sure why
Old 12-25-2006, 01:45 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer021
I haven't tried Stevia but I just joined Weight Watchers and the group leader is recommending Stevia over other sweetners. Not sure why
a friend told me that she's seen it at Whole Foods... so when i get back to houston, i'm gonna give it a try.

regardless, i need to back off the Splenda... it actually hurt me, and i don't like that.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
One of the benefits of Stevia is it is a natural product and there is no undesirable side effect for your health. We do have tried it, and used it for our tea and coffee. It is good, and although it may seem very expensive the sweetness is extremely condenced and a tiny bit goes a long way. The aftertaste is almost undetectable with the white version. The brown version has a little, it was better mixed with either honey or brown sugar. We haven't tried in cooking though, I have read that it can be used for cooking as well.
Here is another site with more info, Stevia - The Natural Sweetener - Recipes, Cooking Tips, Articles, and leading Stevia Products
Old 12-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
One of the benefits of Stevia is it is a natural product and there is no undesirable side effect for your health. We do have tried it, and used it for our tea and coffee. It is good, and although it may seem very expensive the sweetness is extremely condenced and a tiny bit goes a long way. The aftertaste is almost undetectable with the white version. The brown version has a little, it was better mixed with either honey or brown sugar. We haven't tried in cooking though, I have read that it can be used for cooking as well.
Here is another site with more info, Stevia - The Natural Sweetener - Recipes, Cooking Tips, Articles, and leading Stevia Products
thx for the links and info...

after going thru my "episode" and reaction from using too much splenda, i'm giving stevia a try.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
Senior Cook

here in japan, stevia is used in a lot of products. i may have supersensitive taste buds or something, but to me it tastes like chewing on aluminum foil.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
i went to the doctor because of extreme pain & pressure in my urinary tract, and SURPRISE to me... he said that i should back off the SPLENDA!

now, i'm going to use the stevia sweetner...
Instead of switching sweeteners, it might be time to switch doctors. In the 100+ splenda studies that have been performed in the last 20 years, not ONE has ever linked splenda with urinary problems. Believe me, if it did cause urinary issues, there's no way it wouldn't have been detected during the testing phase.

You doctor is reaching- big time. I'm surprised he didn't blame your urinary pain/pressure on the alignment of the planets. That's how ridiculous blaming splenda for something like this is.

Is splenda perfectly safe for long term use? The jury's not in. Time will tell. But a direct link between splenda and urinary pressure/pain? That's absolutely ludicrous.

And recommending stevia as a substitute?!?! It sounds like your doctor might need to lay off the self medication.

There's a reason why stevia isn't approved for use in food (and it isn't some sugar lobby conspiracy). The reason is that there are numerous studies that show potential links between steviosides (the sweet component that's extracted from stevia) and both decreased male virility and cancer. CANCER!

Stevia is popular with the holistic crowd because it's 'natural'. They erroneously equate 'natural' with 'safe.'

Uranium
Lead
Arsenic
Cyanide
Hemlock
Strychnine
Opium
Belladonna
Tobacco
Mercury

are all 'natural,' and yet not safe in the slightest. It's truly a twisted society we live in that something so potentially dangerous as stevia would be embraced as a sweetener simply because it's a plant.

Even if someone were to dispute Stevia's carcinogenic/reproductive impact (and some do), it is generally agreed that stevia decreases heart rate and blood pressure. Although on the outside these effects may be perceived as a good thing... it's proof that stevia is impacting physiology to a substantial degree. Do you really want to be altered to that extent (good or bad) by your sweetener?

And lastly, although less processed forms of stevia leaf are considered safer, they taste, across the board, vile. When you get into the more dangerous steviosides, some brands taste better than others, but even the best brand has a noticeable aftertaste (I've tasted all the best selling brands myself and confirmed this).

So, summing everything up:

Splenda- good tasting, approved by the FDA, with no studies proving health issues
Stevia- bad tasting, unapproved by the FDA, with studies proving potential long term health impact

Stick with splenda, get a new doctor.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Head Chef

Black Chef, you might want to find out if you have an allergy or sensitivity to chlorine. If so, Splenda might be the problem but if not, I'm kind of with scott123 on this one. The only people I've heard of having an issue with Splenda are those with Chlorine sensitivity or allergy since Chlorine is part of the processing. Why do I know this? A good friend of mine switched to Splenda after years of Nutrasweet and started getting bad headaches and a scratchy throat, similar to what occured if she went swimming in a pool. When she went to a few doctors (went to hers then got a second opinion), both confirmed that she was allergic to Chlorine and that was the problem with the Splenda.

I would get a second opinion before you switch foods of any kind as it (bad diagnosis) might be hiding a real problem.

Good Luck!