Apple Pecan Wild Rice...+ Exchanges
APPLE-PECAN WILD RICE
Serves: 4 (Makes 2 cups)
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth, or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 apple, cored and cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans (optional)
Wash the rice in cold water and drain well. Saute the
onion in the margarine in a medium saucepan until tender,
about 5 minutes.
Add the rice; cook and stir 1 minute. Add the juice, broth,
salt if desired, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil; reduce the
heat. Cover and simmer until the rice is tender and most of
the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
Stir in the apple; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Drain off
any excess liquid before serving. Sprinkle with chopped
pecans, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: (1/2 cup) Calories: 154, Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 53mg, Carbohydrate: 30g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 13g, Protein: 4g ++++ Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Fruit