"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
My wife is about 6 months away from her Phd in botanical genetic engineering. She is
not involved in the "frankenfood" area of genetics at all, but is VERY interested in it.
Therefore, she is pretty savvy and knowledgeable in the field.

She isn't worried about it, therefore I am not either.

Knowledge is key.

Invite her to join us and share any expertise.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I think, at the very least, any GM food that is sold should have a label so those opposed can avoid it. If people don't want it, they don't have to buy it. In this way, the market will decide if it is something that is accepted or rejected by consumers.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
I think, at the very least, any GM food that is sold should have a label so those opposed can avoid it. If people don't want it, they don't have to buy it. In this way, the market will decide if it is something that is accepted or rejected by consumers.
My objections with GM foods is not with eating them. I have not given one thought to eating the stuff. My concerns lay with the environment. What are/will these crops do to the air, water, soil, birds, worms, microbes, neighbors, etc.

I do not think it is realistic to think people will reject/avoid buying GM products based on the environmental issues. Have you even known anyone who purchases beef or eggs at a grocery store? Do they take into account the conditions of feed lot finished beef or the life of cage layer chickens? I would say the vast majority of food purchasers do not.

Here is a quote from an organic food source:

"Organic farmers continue to report problems with "genetic trespass" from genetically modified crops. Some say the problem is getting worse, but no one knows how bad it is. Research is needed to determine the extent of the problem and to alert stakeholders.

In the Midwest, where millions of acres of GM corn and soybeans are grown, the impacts were much greater with up to 80% of organic farmers reporting direct costs or damages. "If this trend continues, what we're seeing now will prove tobe just the tip of the iceberg," said Bob Scowcroft, OFRF executive director"

Here is a link to some scientific research regarding the organic movements concerns.
Links to Recent Outstanding Research on the Hazards of Genetically Engineered Foods
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Grillingfool I would also like to hear what your wife has to say on the matter. This subject is way over my pay grade, so I would be interested in any comments she can add. Right now I am following the $$$$ Money. There seems to be two distinct $$$$ paths to explore.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Executive Chef

While we are at it let me open another can of worms.
Final U.S. decision expected on food from clones - Yahoo! News
Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
Executive Chef

FDA says food from cloned animals safe to eat - Yahoo! News
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Master Chef

People used to be afraid of vitamin enriched flour, too.

If corn can be engineered to resist corn worms without being sprayed with chemicals, therefore feeding many more hungry people from the same acreage, is that not a good thing?
If rice can be bred to have more protein in it, making it more nutritious for the millions who depend on it for the mainstay of their diets, is that not a good thing, too?
In my opinion, the answer is yes.

Here is an informative article about genetic engineering.

Agriculture
Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Final U.S. decision expected on food from clones - Yahoo! News
thread drift/hijack

not a can of worms here. We've had this discussion before and the scientific concensus was that there are no problems eating cloned meat. But due to the extremely high costs of cloning animals, we will not be faced with that option any time soon.

Now, may we please hear from the few folks who actually seem to know what they are talking about regarding GM foods?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
...Now, may we please hear from the few folks who actually seem to know what they are talking about regarding GM foods?

...and from anyone who just wants to express an opinion
Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Were these worms genetically engineered to fit inside that can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
People used to be afraid of vitamin enriched flour, too.
Some of them are STILL afraid of flouridated water, no matter how many cavities they didn't get because of it.