"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I've got no problem with it. Whether it's modified or cloned, as the latest buzz seemed to be about, the food's not being modified any more than the difference between any two other non-modified specimens.

Now, what if they could combine animal DNA to create super-animals? Think of it. Meat with the health neutralness of chicken with the delicious flavor and cook-to-temperature ability of beef...call it "Cheef" or "Beecken." Eh, leave naming up to marketing.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodi View Post
Read the article here

And do not forget "we are what we eat"
Are You Eating Frankenfood?
Personally, I don't have great confidence in a Web site that doesn't describe the credentials its contributors and sponsors. Anyone and everyone can publish whatever they want on the Internet; that doesn't make it all equally valid.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
... as well as experiments showing a variety of actual and suspected health problems for cows fed genetically engineered hormones and the humans who drink their milk. And this doesn't even consider slow-acting problems that might not show up for years or decades. Who decided this was an acceptable risk?

Read the article here

And do not forget "we are what we eat"
Are You Eating Frankenfood?
Scientists and the government agency charged with ensuring the safety of food decided this.

From Cornel University - BST Fact Sheet :

What is bST?

bST is an abbreviation for bovine somatotropin or what is also called bovine growth hormone. The term rbST has been used to refer to bST that is produced using fermentation technology and injected into dairy cows to increase efficiency of milk production.

Is bST a hormone?

Yes. However, there are two types of hormones: steroids and proteins. bST is a protein hormone. Protein hormones have no activity when taken by mouth, while steroid hormones do have activity. For example, insulin is a protein hormone. Insulin has no activity if taken orally. Therefore, a diabetic has to have injections of insulin. Like insulin, the protein hormone bST has no activity when taken by mouth. In contrast, hormones used in birth control pills are steroids and therefore are effective when taken by mouth. Again, bST has no effect when taken by mouth.

Furthermore, studies were conducted in the 1950's to determine if children suffering from dwarfism could be given direct injections of high levels of bST to stimulate growth. The conclusion of the study was that somatotropin from cows is not active in humans even if injected. Why? The structure of human somatotropin is so different from bovine somatotropin, that injections of high levels of bovine somatotropin into children have no influence on growth and development.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #34
Head Chef

I left this part of my wife's comments out, but they are now relevant...

Quote:
Regarding issues of safety: Genetically engineed plants that produce vegetables are often referred to as "Frankenfoods" by those who would want to scare the general public. This is just more sensationalist journalism that does nothing to further the discussion of the topic, but is designed to inflame fear and worry in a generally uneducated public.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Corn as we know it, would not exist today if it were not genetically modified. My husband saw a show about corn and said it is modified every year. It use to be tiny seeds on top of a few tassels. Its probably true of a lot of vegetables.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #36
Senior Cook

If this is not a credential, what is?

About the Author

Martin Teitel, Ph.D., the author of Rain Forest in Your Kitchen, is Executive Director of the Council for Responsible Genetics, a national nonprofit organization of concerned scientists, doctors, and activists founded in 1983 to foster public debate about the social, ethical, health, economic, and environmental implications of genetic technology. He lives in Boston. Visit the Council for Responsible Genetics's website at Council for Responsible Genetics
Kimberly A. Wilson, former director of the council's program on Commercial Biotechnology and the Environment, works with the Greenpeace biotechnology campaign and lives in San Francisco.

Dodi's Home Page
Dodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
If this is not a credential, what is?

About the Author

Martin Teitel, Ph.D., the author of Rain Forest in Your Kitchen, is Executive Director of the Council for Responsible Genetics, a national nonprofit organization of concerned scientists, doctors, and activists founded in 1983 to foster public debate about the social, ethical, health, economic, and environmental implications of genetic technology. He lives in Boston. Visit the Council for Responsible Genetics's website at Council for Responsible Genetics
Kimberly A. Wilson, former director of the council's program on Commercial Biotechnology and the Environment, works with the Greenpeace biotechnology campaign and lives in San Francisco.
Sorry, I don't know how I missed that, although it would be more impressive if it was a degree in biology or some kind of science, rather than philosophy: http://www.stanford.edu/~boas/other_...m_one_side.pdf

I was also looking for who sponsors or created and edits the site itself and couldn't find it. Do you know?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #38
Head Chef

So I read the article in question.
Where is the science? Where are the facts?
All I see is hype and "OH MY GOD IT'S FRANKENFOOD!!!!"

Hype, calculated to play on emotions.
1." There are changes that could never happen in nature"...
Uhhh, in SOME genetically modified foods, yes. What about all the
others that CAN occur naturally? hmmmm?
2. "..the food is owned." This can also be achieved by using more common
methods of genetic manipulation. I do, however, agree that it could present
a problem should, for example, all but one company's strain of corn were to die off...
3. "the new technology is 'globalized'... Whaaaat? Somehow the genetically modified
plants are being forced by "trade agreements" "worldwide" into use? I don't think so...

See, hype, calculated to inflame, frighten and further an agenda, rather than present
the truth.

Off my soapbox, sorry for the rant.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #39
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Well, there's two strikes against her right there. So, what, exactly are her credentials? Does she have an advanced degree in anything related to biology or health? Does she have any degree in anything? Does she have a high school diploma? GED?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #40
Cook

If you take any form of medication that is not herbal you are putting human made substances in your body. I don't see GM foods as any worse than this.

I would rather eat GM foods than take most of the medications that are FDA approved these days.