"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I agree, you should consult an internal medicine doctor. Not sure if a physiotherapist (isn't that for injuries; sports medicine) doctor is the right doctor for internal disorders.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
Head Chef

I'm lactose intolerant, but as long as I don't drink milk by the glassful, I can deal with it. My doctor diagnosed it many years ago while I was just into my 30's. I was drinking a lot of milk and having all sorts of issues because of it. When I quit doing that, the issues went away. Now I drink about 80 ounces of water daily and only take in what dairy I get when it's incorporated in other foods.

I use only lactose free milk so I can have cereal for breakfast a few times a week, and I use it for cooking sauces and other recipes requiring milk. Cheese doesn't seem to bother me, but I don't usually eat a lot of it. Although I love it, I don't eat a lot of ice cream more because of it's negative effect on my waistline. As long as I eat dairy products sensibly, it's not a huge problem.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

There's other ways to get protein - I use a really good product called "Garden of Life" Meal replacement

It has 20g of Protein - it is fairly filling & is organic (USDA certified).

You shd keep a Food diary [then, you can TRACK how you do ] - I've done this B4 myself, & am starting one again.

It probably wouldn't hurt for you to at least try to go off some dairy products (and/or use 'reduced fat' stuff.) *Track it day by day - maybe even set up some GOALS for yrself.

I intend to set a few goals - am going to use this online Goal tracker called Joesgoals.com. You simply enter your goal, & check it off as you finish the task. You can determine what days of the week appear for which goals. (it's simple, super-straightforward)

Then there's Goal-buddy.com - which is more detailed, and has more to it. For instance, u can have an accountability partner.

That one product can be found @ Amzn (the "Raw Meal" by "Garden of Life"). I like to use it & also kefir (which keeps my stomach in good shape)

I wish u luck .
P.S. I would think you can keep drinking milk, though. If not, take a high quality calcium pill.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:49 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Yeah, I do understand your point of view : why ask for "non-qualified" internet users to find an issue to my problem ? But the fact is that all the medical doctor I have seen until now have different views and no real explanations about it....

That's why I thought to speak about it in that forum, to find, perhaps, people like me, who could help me deal with my dairy issue ^^"
Old 09-19-2015, 12:58 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Actually, after 4 visits to my physio, I seem to get pretty better... I don't really now how he does : he massages my stomach, up and down, makes me do breath excercises (for instance, when I expire, I have to push his fingers, placed on different spots on my stomach - yeah, quite weird ! lol). Seems to work, 'cause I have no headache anymore and my nose runs much less !

(I'm really really sorry about my poor abilities in writing english ! :x)
Old 09-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Sounds like acupressure. I learned a number of acupressure points in a yoga class I took years ago. It really does work.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Acu-stuff doesn't really work. The placebo effect does, though.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Since when were dairy products controversial?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's more than placebo. you're very mistaken about it being fake.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It may often be placebo effect, but I had an experience where it worked. One of my ovaries was in the wrong place and was stuck there with adhesions according to several MDs. I spoke to my tai chi teacher who was a doctor of Chinese medicine. He told me, "Elastic that hold up egg house is tired. Needs blood." He did some acupressure massage. He told me which spots on my spine needed stimulating and told me to have my boyfriend do that every day for a few weeks. He told me to think my "egg-house" up every time I did an upward movement with my hands in tai chi. I thought it sounded pretty hokey and not likely to work. However, the next time I went for a gynecological exam the doctor wouldn't believe me that my ovary had ever been in the wrong place. It also alleviated all the symptoms.

Tags
dairy product, health, other