Are dairy products harmful for my health?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acu-stuff doesn't really work. The placebo effect does, though.

Works exceptionally well. What is the placebo effect?
Did you have it done by a naturopathic doctor? My primary doctor even endorses it as a helpful way to treat many disorders.

Your blood type has a lot to do with what foods are and are not 'good' for you.
Read the book: 'Eat Right For Your Blood Type'.
Some people don't believe the theory. It's your call.
Different races evolved eating foods available.

Your blood type has a lot to do with what foods are and are not 'good' for you.
Read the book: 'Eat Right For Your Blood Type'.
Some people don't believe the theory. It's your call.
Different races evolved eating foods available.

Maybe in the stone age, but ever since invading military have brought their "availables" with them and returned with new "availables" from the invaded countries.;)

Ancestry has some effect on what foods are good or bad for you. E.g., most Northern Europeans can tolerate dairy; most Latin Americans can't. OTH, most of us have enough mix in our ancestry that it isn't straightforward.

The blood type diet was proven not to work: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140115172246.htm

And the book was written by a naturopath - that should tell you all you need to know: naturopathy - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

So true! My sister went on it for a long time and now has all kinds of problems, same with another relative who got REALLY ill and lost so much weight they didn't know what was wrong. It wasn't until they started eating a balanced diet that their weight returned.

I have the same blood type as she does and NONE of the stuff she said I shouldn't eat, bothers me at all! I never went for it, thank goodness.

Another hyped up fad that needs to go away. IMO

Hi. I can't drink milk except in very small quantities.
I wish it just gave me a runny nose. It gives me digestive problems.
If it was me, I would keep a diary of what you are eating when you get a runny nose. That way you can find the common ingredient.

I follow the BTD fairly closely but I'm not fanatical about it.
I generally avoid eating dairy/oats/corn products and potatoes.
This seems to be a reasonable diet.
Our whole family and extended family keep pretty close to the BTD. We are all very healthy.
The essence of the theory can be seen under a microscope.
Blood cells are on a slide. Certain food types are positioned beside the blood cells. The blood cells either sort of absorb or they do not react at all or they sort of repel the food.
The foods the blood cells absorb are 'beneficial' the ones that have no reaction are 'neutral' and the ones that are sort of repelled are 'avoids.
This is a gross simplification but you get the idea.
As for some 'naturopath' claiming the BTD is BS there are many thousands of Doctors,naturopaths,homeopaths who agree the BTD is beneficial.
My wife's GP claims adamantly that taking vitamins is useless and all a big hoax perpetrated by "Big Pharma". But my wife still takes her daily vitamins.
I don't know if 'Bigfoot' exists but I'm not going to claim it doesn't.

Blood absorbs and releases oxygen. It isn't there to absorb food.
I know that.
I did say my explanation was very simplistic.
I'm not trying to convert anyone to the BTD. I said IMO it makes sense.
There is lots of information available on Google for anyone who's curious.

The essence of the theory can be seen under a microscope.
Blood cells are on a slide. Certain food types are positioned beside the blood cells. The blood cells either sort of absorb or they do not react at all or they sort of repel the food.
The foods the blood cells absorb are 'beneficial' the ones that have no reaction are 'neutral' and the ones that are sort of repelled are 'avoids.
This is a gross simplification but you get the idea.

Taxlady is right - nutrient absorption does not work this way. Even as a simplified explanation, it's incorrect.

http://www.ue.net/body-eng/06intestine.html

As for some 'naturopath' claiming the BTD is BS there are many thousands of Doctors,naturopaths,homeopaths who agree the BTD is beneficial.

You misunderstood my comment. I provided a link to a scientific research article showing that the blood-type diet doesn’t work. I don't care how many people think it does; I care what the research shows.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/blood-type-diet-disproved/

The book about eating for your blood type was written by Peter d'Adamo, who is a naturopath. To me, that makes it unreliable since naturopaths are not real doctors.

Last edited:
I know that.
I did say my explanation was very simplistic.
I'm not trying to convert anyone to the BTD. I said IMO it makes sense.
There is lots of information available on Google for anyone who's curious.

Not every Google result is equally valid. There is lots of bad information out there. You have to learn to distinguish the reliable from the unreliable.

Works exceptionally well. What is the placebo effect?
Did you have it done by a naturopathic doctor? My primary doctor even endorses it as a helpful way to treat many disorders.

Sorry, I missed this before. The placebo effect is where patients exhibit a response to a simulated treatment because they expect it to happen. Scientists use this phenomenon to compare pharmaceutical treatments with placebos to see if they actually work.

No, I wouldn't see a naturopath. They're not real doctors.

Last edited:
Humans seem to be the only animals that rely on milk or milk products as adults, not sure why.

Humans do a lot of things other animals don't do, including cooking ;)

I think it came about as a backup food for babies after people started domesticating animals. Some women can't nurse or don't have enough milk, so animal milk would supplement the supply. It contains a lot of protein and calcium, so it's pretty healthful, in general.

And after cheese was discovered, people had a nice, portable source of preserved protein and other nutrients.

Well now it has been over a decade since I took anatomy and physiology. If I remember correctly, it is the intestines that process and absorb the nutrients. I know the kidneys filter out the toxins.
As far as doctors go, I know several doctors personally that I wouldn't take medical advice from. There is a slight difference between an MD and a PhD. Though some MD's do have PhDs.

Well now it has been over a decade since I took anatomy and physiology. If I remember correctly, it is the intestines that process and absorb the nutrients. I know the kidneys filter out the toxins.
As far as doctors go, I know several doctors personally that I wouldn't take medical advice from. There is a slight difference between an MD and a PhD. Though some MD's do have PhDs.

There is a *huge* difference between MDs and PhDs. Medical doctors diagnose and treat physical diseases. PhDs don't. Some PhDs are psychologists who diagnose and treat mental health problems, but not physical problems. PhDs in the biomedical sciences primarily do research and teach medical and graduate students.

The stomach and intestines process and absorb nutrients, with help from digestive chemicals from the liver and pancreas.

Last edited:
The blood type diet was proven not to work: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140115172246.htm

And the book was written by a naturopath - that should tell you all you need to know: naturopathy - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
After reading your link I can conclude the author believes naturopaths are full of BS. Acupuncture is "not backed up by sound research". I guess he would then have us believe ayurvedic medicine and chinese herbal medicine are also "not backed up by "sound research".

Humans seem to be the only animals that rely on milk or milk products as adults, not sure why.

Humans need most/all of the vitamins and minerals available through foods every day or every other day to maintain optimum health. In order for the body to absorb calcium and phosphorus, these two minerals must be provided in the proper ratio. I don't think it is any coincidence that milk provides these important minerals in the correct ratio for the body to able to absorb them both.

Last edited:
There is a *huge* difference between MDs and PhDs. Medical doctors diagnose and treat physical diseases. PhDs don't. Some PhDs are psychologists who diagnose and treat mental health problems, but not physical problems. PhDs in the biomedical sciences primarily do research and teach medical and graduate students.

The stomach and intestines process and absorb nutrients, with help from digestive chemicals from the liver and pancreas.
The doctors I know had PhDs in subjects like History, Literature, Music and Mathematics. I think one was psychology.
I do know do not ask a doctor of history if his medical doctor father wanted him to become a real doctor. Learned that one the hard way.

After reading your link I can conclude the author believes naturopaths are full of BS. Acupuncture is "not backed up by sound research". I guess he would then have us believe ayurvedic medicine and chinese herbal medicine are also "not backed up by "sound research".

You're right - they're not. The fact that something has been around for a long time doesn't make it true or valid. That's a logical fallacy called the Appeal to Antiquity or Tradition.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/appeals/appeal-to-tradition/

"Appeals to antiquity assume that older ideas are better, that the fact that an idea has been around for a while implies that it is true. This, of course, is not the case; old ideas can be bad ideas, and new ideas can be good ideas. We therefore can’t learn anything about the truth of an idea just by considering how old it is."

That's why the scientific method was developed - to prove or disprove ideas using empirical testing.

Back
Top Bottom