Are you conscious about Salt in your food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little salt in many dishes is absolutely necessary. If this were a voice recording, you'd see me emphasizing the word "little." A lot of people go overboard with it. The real danger, in my mind, is that a lot of processed foods wind up using a ton of the stuff. I'm not on the "ban-anything-that-isn't-homemade" bandwagon, but it is something to consider, especially given the lifestyle changes that have affected the West even in the past twenty years or so. (I NEVER see kids playing outside. Ever.)

I salt some when cooking, but not as much as I'd like. Too many friends, not to mention a spouse, with blood pressure problems. I do salt enough to keep the food from tasting like hospital fare (seriously, I'd rather die than eat like that), but still stop short of making my food taste really, really good, and then have people salt to taste. I know I've done a good job of it when my husband says, "CLaire, a little more salt." I'm a salt-a-holic, he's not and has blood pressure issues.

I read an article recently about the possibility of a link between too much salt and kidney stones. Since I have a niece who has had multiple problems with kidney stones, and tried everything with no good results, I mentioned it to her mother, who said that her daughter did indeed add extra salt to everything. She was trying to get her to slack off on the salt and see if that makes an impact. I don't salt as much as I used to and don't put it on the table.

Because of kidney failure, I have to be very careful of to much water or liquids,and salt..being a saltaholic before it was hard at first, but now boy eating out I make sure to tell them go easy on the salt or add none at all and I don't add to my meals at the table. At home I wait, it depends on what I'm making..somethings need to be layered with seasonings to bring out the full flavor, others I salt at the end and that's it.l I must say eggs do get a light spritz of salt.
kadesma

I have the opposite problem. I tend to have low sodium (and low electrolytes in general), and if it gets too low, I have seizures, so after years of watching my salt intake, the doctor now says to salt my food.

I really don't like my food that salty, so instead I add things to my diet that are supposed to be salty, like dill pickles, olives, popcorn and such.

I have the opposite problem. I tend to have low sodium (and low electrolytes in general), and if it gets too low, I have seizures, so after years of watching my salt intake, the doctor now says to salt my food.

I really don't like my food that salty, so instead I add things to my diet that are supposed to be salty, like dill pickles, olives, popcorn and such.
Yep, had the same problem, Constance.........watched my sodium intake like a hawk.......made my own soups, beans, lived on a very low salt restricted diet, fussed at my son when he snow-stormed the Mexican chips, etc., so when I wanted to rule out diabetes (nevermind what led me to asking for the test---I had good reasons) my doctor ran a screen for electrolytes.........I was quite proud of the fact that I had low blood sodium levels............only when he came by and muttered "that is NOT something to be proud about" and I'm quite worried as your potassium levels are normal........so he advised me to step up the ingestion of salt (believe me when you cut it out of your diet it is really hard to go back) for a week.........after pigging out on more sodium than I had in about 5 years combined.......lo and behold my sodiums levels were back to "normal"..........lesson? everything in moderation.......do have blood tests periodically........don't expect your doctor to handle everything......if you know that you're doing something out of the ordinary (like limiting a particular nutritional requirement) then be tested.........I guess the older I get the "stupider" I get, too:glare:...........

Tip (that worked for me) Switch away from salted butter and use unsalted butter. The reduction in sodium is remarkable. (and painless).

Try this

Natural sea salt contains iodine and no additives. The salt taste is much stronger than the salt you buy at a grocery store, therefore a little bit does the trick. I like Trader's Joe':ROFLMAO:s sea salt. I also buy no-salt added canned veggies. I buy a lot of my food at Aldi's for two reasons [1[ price, and [2] I find the sat fat, cholesterol and sodium are often lower than comparable name brands. I use very little if any salt when I make soup as onions, carots and celery seem to provide enough flavor. If it doesn't I add a little port wine.

BTW, 6-8oz red wine (darker is better) once a day is good for the heart. Sp is gentle exercise.like walking up and down a flight of stairs (12-14 steos) every day.

Where did you get information that natural sea salt containes Iodine? That was an additive to Table Salt (only) years ago for health concerns and continues to this day, though you have the option of buying it without the addition.

The reason sea salt is 'stronger' is because the crystals are larger and does not include the anti-caking and other additions that table salt has for the same amount.

Salt is salt. Na + Cl. I just don't understand how it can be "stronger". Personally, I think the fancy salt thing is just a big high brow event.. "Yes, this is grey salt from the bottom of the Dead Sea gathered by trained octopi, good man. "

Sure, there are contaminants that give it color, but would the amount present really affect flavor?

On topic.. I was quite sad to realize that my beloved canned sardines for my noodle bowl lunches pack an amazing 1600 mg of salt per can. Now I use 1/3 a can
and some healthy lean chicken. Sigh.

The "fancy" salts are used for looks in garnishments on foods and would be a waste if used in foods for flavoring.

Many people are moving over to sea salt because of a slight difference in the taste and texture since they come from difference sources and have different mineral content.

TIP: Switch to unsalted butter and avoid salted butter. One tablespoon of salted butter contains 651Mg of sodium, (27% of recomended daily value)

Sea Salt

The Mayo Clinic in an article written by Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D., says <quote> Sea salt and table salt have the same nutritional value. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste and texture. Sea salt is available in fine or coarse grain. Ithas a slightly different taste than table salt because of different minerals it contains. Many people prefer sea salt to table salt because they claim it has a more subtle flavor. Sea salt doesn't contain iodine or any other additives. However, if you use sea salt you typically don't have to worry about not getting enough iodine in your diet because iodine is available in many other foods, including dairy products, seafood and many processed foods. If you favor foods with fewer additives, you may prefer sea salt. But there's no evidence that the additives in table salt are harmful to your health.
Although your body needs some sodium to function properly, most people eat too much, which can lead to high blood pressure. Whether you use sea salt, table salt or some other type of salt, most experts recommend between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day for healthy adults. <Unquote>

TIP: Switch to unsalted butter and avoid salted butter. One tablespoon of salted butter contains 651Mg of sodium, (27% of recomended daily value)
651 Megagrams (Mg) is a lot of salt for 1 Tbsp of butter. Do you have a website reference to that figure?

Where?

Where did you get information that natural sea salt containes Iodine? That was an additive to Table Salt (only) years ago for health concerns and continues to this day, though you have the option of buying it without the addition.

The reason sea salt is 'stronger' is because the crystals are larger and does not include the anti-caking and other additions that table salt has for the same amount.

The information you question is on the containers of Natrual Sea Salt I buy from Trader Joe's in St. Louis. I buy the fine grind, not the crystals. The label on the Morton Sea Salt crystals included in the grinder I got as a gift clearly lists additives. My personal feeling is if contains additives, then it is not natrual sea salt. My salt contains natural iodine that is not an additive. I read some where that the anti-caking additives can be a problem to some.

Yes you can buy canning salt without idodine; I use it ever summer. However, I was always told Idoine is a necessary dietary requirement.

Last edited:
i find sea salt alot milder than table salt. my mom switched to sea salt all the way back in the early 60's. it is a little better than table salt but salt is still salt in the end. i love salt but i don't over do it in cooking. i add at the table. btw corn does seem to taste better with salt added.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom