"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Our bodies need salt. I do not worry about salt or soy sauce or even the salty oyster sauce. Use in moderation, salt is good for you. and so is garlic and lots of herbs. Instead of using salt, sometimes I use bacon or ham, they are salty already without adding more salt to your food. Moderation. Besides there is yogurt with live cultures in it to help absorb excess salt from your body...if you live here in the US there is a product called "Promise".

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
Head Chef

In hot weather I need to take salt tablets--low blood pressure. I use salt to where it tastes right, and don't worry about it. BTJM.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
Head Chef

I have high BP and take meds, but I do love my salty snacks (chips, cheese, etc). I try to avoid salty foods and not overdo it. But it is hard. I love salty stuff.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
While I love salt in certain foods I am very conscious about the salt content in products I buy and recipes I make. I usually will substitute herbs or use half the salt in recipes and I always buy the reduced sodium or low sodium variety of whatever packaged product I am buying.
Generally I prefer to make it from "scratch" so I know the exact ingredients and how much of them is in , what I am eating , than to buy the packaged version.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
Master Chef

While I'm not "phobic" about salt in my food, except for baked goods, I never add it while cooking. Not even to pasta water (that business of the salt flavoring the pasta is a huge crock of bs anyway). If a dish needs salt, everyone can add what they want at the table. No reason to force it on them.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I've never used salt in cooking veggies, but it's on the table if you need it. To be honest nobody has ever remarked "there's no salt in this"
I have started using Himalayan salt though, have a look at the link...let me know what you think.

Himalayan Salts-natural himalayan crystal salt for eating
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
While I'm not "phobic" about salt in my food, except for baked goods, I never add it while cooking. Not even to pasta water (that business of the salt flavoring the pasta is a huge crock of bs anyway). If a dish needs salt, everyone can add what they want at the table. No reason to force it on them.

I bow to your much respected cooking knowledge. But YOU crossed the line on not supporting the rights of your pasta. They deserve to be flavored anyway they want. Mostly, they tell me to add oil to avoid sticking together, and to add salt so they can swim better in the lighter water (well, not really, but they do taste better).

But I do not often add salt to works in progress in general knowing it usually will be tasty only on the plate where everyone can choose for themselves
Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #18
Sous Chef

From my childhood I never take extra salt in my food. ( my mom tell me that I dont have the ability to taste salt because I can eat food without salt and sometime I don't even notice)
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #19
Head Chef

Salt is a non-issue for us. I salt as I cook. I add salt at the table after I've cooked if needed. /shrug But we don't eat out of boxes or cans or frozen containers much at all.

I can't imagine not cooking with salt ... it ties every other flavor together! That's why it is part of baking. A food unsalted is a food that's pretty much flavorless to my taste buds.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I am very conscious about salt and my foods, I add it to virtually everything I cook. It all depends on were your foods come from. Since I raise the majority of the foods we eat, the addition of a bit of salt to most\all foods really enhances the flavors. Today I am making a 3 pound batch of granola and will add 1 t. of salt. Fresh vegetables, like asparagus, green beans, corn on the cob, just taste better with a bit of salt to bring out flavors. I used to can my vegetables in water only, but the past 5 years or so, I add salt to the quart jars. The older a person gets, their taste sensations diminish, requiring greater seasonings to get foods to taste their best.

Salt is good

I mainly use a course flaked salt these days.