"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Head Chef

Salt is salt. Na + Cl. I just don't understand how it can be "stronger". Personally, I think the fancy salt thing is just a big high brow event.. "Yes, this is grey salt from the bottom of the Dead Sea gathered by trained octopi, good man. "

Sure, there are contaminants that give it color, but would the amount present really affect flavor?

On topic.. I was quite sad to realize that my beloved canned sardines for my noodle bowl lunches pack an amazing 1600 mg of salt per can. Now I use 1/3 a can
and some healthy lean chicken. Sigh.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #32
Head Chef

The "fancy" salts are used for looks in garnishments on foods and would be a waste if used in foods for flavoring.

Many people are moving over to sea salt because of a slight difference in the taste and texture since they come from difference sources and have different mineral content.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #33
Senior Cook

TIP: Switch to unsalted butter and avoid salted butter. One tablespoon of salted butter contains 651Mg of sodium, (27% of recomended daily value)
Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Sea Salt

The Mayo Clinic in an article written by Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D., says <quote> Sea salt and table salt have the same nutritional value. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste and texture. Sea salt is available in fine or coarse grain. Ithas a slightly different taste than table salt because of different minerals it contains. Many people prefer sea salt to table salt because they claim it has a more subtle flavor. Sea salt doesn't contain iodine or any other additives. However, if you use sea salt you typically don't have to worry about not getting enough iodine in your diet because iodine is available in many other foods, including dairy products, seafood and many processed foods. If you favor foods with fewer additives, you may prefer sea salt. But there's no evidence that the additives in table salt are harmful to your health.
Although your body needs some sodium to function properly, most people eat too much, which can lead to high blood pressure. Whether you use sea salt, table salt or some other type of salt, most experts recommend between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day for healthy adults. <Unquote>
Old 05-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by advoca View Post
TIP: Switch to unsalted butter and avoid salted butter. One tablespoon of salted butter contains 651Mg of sodium, (27% of recomended daily value)
651 Megagrams (Mg) is a lot of salt for 1 Tbsp of butter. Do you have a website reference to that figure?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
651 Megagrams (Mg) is a lot of salt for 1 Tbsp of butter. Do you have a website reference to that figure?

I'm sure mg (milli) was meant. You can assume that when 27% of the daily recommended total.

Bob
Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #37
Head Chef

Of course, but even 651mg is about 6x higher than what I have and I remain curious for some facts.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Thank you McNerd and Casper for correcting me. I goofed (my records are incorrect.) Apologies.

One tablespoon of butter contains 80.6 Mg of sodium (3% if the daily value)

Source: Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis &ndash; NutritionData.com
Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Where did you get information that natural sea salt containes Iodine? That was an additive to Table Salt (only) years ago for health concerns and continues to this day, though you have the option of buying it without the addition.

The reason sea salt is 'stronger' is because the crystals are larger and does not include the anti-caking and other additions that table salt has for the same amount.
The information you question is on the containers of Natrual Sea Salt I buy from Trader Joe's in St. Louis. I buy the fine grind, not the crystals. The label on the Morton Sea Salt crystals included in the grinder I got as a gift clearly lists additives. My personal feeling is if contains additives, then it is not natrual sea salt. My salt contains natural iodine that is not an additive. I read some where that the anti-caking additives can be a problem to some.

Yes you can buy canning salt without idodine; I use it ever summer. However, I was always told Idoine is a necessary dietary requirement.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #40
Master Chef

i find sea salt alot milder than table salt. my mom switched to sea salt all the way back in the early 60's. it is a little better than table salt but salt is still salt in the end. i love salt but i don't over do it in cooking. i add at the table. btw corn does seem to taste better with salt added.