"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #41
Chief Eating Officer

All salt is sea salt. Table salt is sea salt. All salt is NaCl. Some salt has trace minerals that could potentially give very slight flavor differences, but I have yet to find that true for myself. The reason some salts seem saltier or less salty than others is the shape and size of the crystals and how they disolve on your tongue. Saltwise they are the same. NaCl is NaCl.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #42
Head Chef

Sorry, that is incorrect that all salt is sea salt. Table salt comes from underground salt mines and is dug out like coal. Wild animals used to find veins of salt at the surface and learned to lick it to supplement their diets. Only a tiny portion of available salt is "sea salt" acquired from evaporation and must be labeled as such.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #43
Chief Eating Officer

Yes it comes from underground salt mines. Those salt mines were once ocean. The salt came from the ocean water that has since receded or evaporated.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Yes it comes from underground salt mines. Those salt mines were once ocean. The salt came from the ocean water that has since receded or evaporated.

Correctamundo!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #45
Head Chef

I wasn't around back then, but I would anticipate it was more the other way around, since the first water on our planet was created by rain and atmospheric conditions. It did not rain salt water. But nonetheless, mined salt is not technically or otherwise defined as sea salt.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #46
Chief Eating Officer

Well you are certainly entitled to believe what you believe.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #47
Senior Cook

The Mediterranean sea salt I buy from Trader Joe's is a product of Sapin. It is naturally snow white. Aaccording to the information on the package, the salt it is dried in small salt fields. It is unrefined and minimally processed to maximize the natural magnesiium and iodine content. Each 1/4 teaspoon contains 18% sodium (440mg). The only ingredient listed in the contents is sea salt.

The Morton Sea Salt found at the grocey store contains Sea Salt, yellow Prussiate of Soda. The container does not contain iodide, nor does it list dietary informatio; for it I must call Morton's.

Morton's sea salt crystals has a more mild flavor when compared to the fine grind Sea Salt I buy from Trader Joe's,
Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #48
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb I love salt

I love salt. I am habituated with it.
Is there any way to get rid of salt by any substitute which I can adapt very easily?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.machado2009 View Post
I love salt. I am habituated with it.
Is there any way to get rid of salt by any substitute which I can adapt very easily?
mrs. dash? they have many varieties.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #50
Master Chef

or salt substitute. i used to use it as a kidddo & liked it. i think it's just potassium?
i keep an eye on my salt, to avoid pufffiness, though i love me some pickles, anchovies, capers, olives, canned soups, & frozen meals & bacon! sheesh, i'm glad i'm on a diet or i'd go assemble pasta puttanesca right now & i'm not really into cooking today.