"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
Head Chef

I read the article as well and I still don't approve of the Atkins Diet.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Actually, the most recent version of the diet as outlined in Dr. Atkins' last book - Atkins For Life - is a far cry from the original. You really can't make any assumptions about the healthiness or workability of this diet unless you've read it.

It is definitely NOT a carb-free diet. It simply makes a distinction between good & bad carbs, as in refined flours, sugars, white pasta, potatoes, etc., versus whole grain flours, beans, whole grains, fruits, & vegetables. In fact, the current Atkins' diet is virtually the same as other diets of this type (South Beach). It does not recommend or advocate eating nothing but protein or fatty meats like bacon, etc. - something everyone seems to associate with the original version.

Frankly, I found it extremely easy to follow, felt great, never hungry, & lost 20 pounds (which I kept off). My husband did even better, losing about 34 pounds, which he also kept off.

While we do enjoy regular potatoes, white pastas, & breads occasionally, we do so in moderation.

I don't remember anyone saying that it's a carb-free diet.

I think ALL of those low-carb diets are met with scorn and controversy though.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Senior Cook

As always, Caine, excellent advice. You broke it down to a very simple level, while not including too much detail to confuse everyone.

I have not read Atkins' books so I can't be sure exactly what he advocates, but I have seen this time and time again: a person wants to lose weight so they begin the Atkins diet. For some reason, they believe that fat they are supposed to be eating should come from terribly saturated sources, i.e. bacon, sour cream, cheese, fatty pork, fatty beef, etc. Unfortunately those fat sources DO taste excellent. These people might lose some weight intially from the drastic reduction in carbohydrates, but the ratio of protien:fat is out of whack, and the fat sources set them up for an early heart attack. That being said, saturated fats (in small amounts) are good for the body in the sense that they regulate hormones and other processes in the body. Cutting them out completely is not the best option, but eating a higher percentage of fats from monos and polys than sats is a good idea.

The body needs carbohydrates -- this is a fact. However, eating the RIGHT carbs in the RIGHT amounts at the RIGHT times and with the RIGHT combination of other foods is the key. Sometimes if I'm looking to drop fat in a hurry I will exclude as much carbs as possible. That is very effective, but its not a lifelong way of eating. If someone's metabolism is running fine and they do not desire to lose fat quickly then a diet that includes carbohydrates would be a wise choice. That's all I feel like sharing right now...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Ok i have been on adkins before and i can say without a dought that it works very well. I lost the most body weight on this diet than anything else. I don't think it should be a life long diet though. You loose your weight on it then you return to eating healthy. Some people stick with it for life. I would not do this but when you go on it WOW the results. I can tell you one thing its the hardest diet to stay on. When i first started it i will get headaches when your body switches over from carbs to ketones for its energy. After 2-3 weeks this passes though. I could never go on it now because im a runner. As a runner there is no way i could eliminate carbs like this from my diet.

Ncage
Old 03-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #15
Head Chef

My mother and I went on Atkins at the same time a couple of years ago. Interestingly it suited her very very well, she felt good and pound were shedding quickly. Interestingly she did not ahere presisely and upped the salad amount. Meanwhile I stuck the the thing precisely and was eating more eggs and lean meat than anything else and I was miserable and felt seriously unhealthy. At the end of a month my mother had done well, I had gained 2 pounds! Is it simply a case of horses for courses?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
Everymom

Holy cow Caine, RELAX! As I said in my post I get my information from nutritionists and registered dieticians. I certainly didn't mean to inspire a rant from you or to upset Breezy or anyone else who successfully used the diet either. My apologies, sometimes I'm a bit flip and my humour doesn't translate well.

I would however like to address a few of your comments Caine. I'm Canadian, and we have a Food Guide here not a food pyramid as they do in the US. I'm unfamiliar with the amounts recommended on that pyramid. If you follow the Canada Food Guide you will find that you take in all the nutrients you need in the correct fashion and amounts. There is NO NEED to eliminate carbs from your diet to lose weight. The fact that it works for people does not mean its a healthy alternative. Changing from simple to complex carbs (as you said) is key. Eliminating most of the carbs from your diet impairs brain function over the long term. Especially memory function. I am not saying that a short term elimination of carbs doesn't have the desired effect of weight loss. I'm saying that in the long term, you need to follow a correct and balanced diet to be healthy. Resetting your endocrine system is interesting, but not necessary for most of us. Changing your habits is what is required. Following a recommended diet and exercise program will have you losing weight gradually. You won't lose it as quickly as on a carb restricted diet, but you WILL lose the weight.

Geez, I rattled on and on there. Sorry. All I'm saying is Atkins isn't necessary. Fewer calories in, (and better food choices) and more calories expended in exercise is the safest and best way to lose weight.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
...Fewer calories in, (and better food choices) and more calories expended in exercise is the safest and best way to lose weight.

Alix, you're forgetting liposuction...
Old 03-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
Everymom

ROFL! DOH!!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #19
Master Chef

Alix - no offense taken. I just take offense at folks who see the word "Atkins" & automatically think "bacon, butter, fatty meat, etc." Nothing could be further from the truth. I just want people to do the research before being critical of a diet that has not only allowed people to lose weight, but has also lowered their blood pressure & cholesterol - as this recent published study of 300 women has shown the Atkins diet has accomplished. And the study was completely independent.

The point I (& the study published in the Washington Post yesterday) was trying to make was that the the Atkins Diet works, & works healthily, because it discriminates between "good" & "bad" carbs. Not only that, but the study showed that the Atkins diet actually, in some cases, increased "good" cholesterol. Go figure.

Lean meats, lots of veggies, & whole-grain carbs cannot by any way or means be found to be unhealthy.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #20
Everymom

Quote:
Lean meats, lots of veggies, & whole-grain carbs cannot by any way or means be found to be unhealthy.
Nope, you are absolutely right on that one. And we are clearly on the same page about changing habits and making better food choices. I suspect the only piece that we disagree about is the initial couple of weeks where the carbs are gone. I am sure it does exactly what Caine is saying about "resetting your endocrine system", and it does give you a jump start on the weight loss. My point is just that it is unnecessary, and there is a potential for abuse there. Does that make sense?

(Oh, and again, Washington Post is a bit outside my normal scope of reading. I'd have to go look that up. Globe and Mail is more what I'd be looking for. )