Atkins Diet Back in the News.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
No Corey. This is not correct. He did NOT die from his heart attack. Yes he did have a heart attack, but the is not what killed him.

He slipped on ice and suffered major head injuries that put him in a coma. He never recovered from the coma. That is what he died from, not the heart attack.

>Then why did the news media say that the heart attack is what killed him? Looks like the media screwed up again as usual.

And BTW, where did you get that big smiley from? I like that!

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
>Then why did the news media say that the heart attack is what killed him? Looks like the media screwed up again as usual.

And BTW, where did you get that big smiley? I like that!
I can't answer that as I never saw that. I saw he had a heart attack, but not that he died from it.

I got the smiley from an extension for my Firefox browser.

Too funny. You need to check your facts before automatically jumping up to agree with someone Corey123 :LOL: . Atkins decidedly did not die from a diet-related heart attack. It was a fatal head injury involving surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain due to a fall.

Again - diet & exercise doesn't automatically mean that someone won't have a heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc. - it just hedges the bets.

Does anyone here remember Jim Fixx from back in the '70's? He was one of the first "running" gurus & published a couple of books on it, which included diet tips. Although he went from a weight of 220 to 159 & was considered healthy from his diet & running regimen, he ultimately died from heart disease. Go figure.

I'm a BIG fan of the "everything in moderation" diet these days. I don't deprive myself, but I do pay attention to what, & the amounts of "what", I consume. If I want a beer, I have one. If I feel like pizza, I have pizza - just not 3 slices of pizza - lol!! It still satisfies the craving. And since my husband doesn't eat any red meat, our regular meals consist of poultry, seafood, & vegetarian meals, so for the most part I figure I'm eating pretty healthy.

Does this mean that I won't have a heart attack or stroke, etc.? Heck no. But at least I figure I'm doing the best I can while still enjoying myself dining wise.

Feel free to PM me Corey. If you use Firefox I can point you in the direction of that guy.

BreezyCooking said:
Too funny. You need to check your facts before automatically jumping up to agree with someone Corey123 :LOL: . Atkins decidedly did not die from a diet-related heart attack. It was a fatal head injury involving surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain due to a fall.

Again - diet & exercise doesn't automatically mean that someone won't have a heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc. - it just hedges the bets.

Does anyone here remember Jim Fixx from back in the '70's? He was one of the first "running" gurus & published a couple of books on it, which included diet tips. Although he went from a weight of 220 to 159 & was considered healthy from his diet & running regimen, he ultimately died from heart disease. Go figure.

I'm a BIG fan of the "everything in moderation" diet these days. I don't deprive myself, but I do pay attention to what, & the amounts of "what", I consume. If I want a beer, I have one. If I feel like pizza, I have pizza - just not 3 slices of pizza - lol!! It still satisfies the craving. And since my husband doesn't eat any red meat, our regular meals consist of poultry, seafood, & vegetarian meals, so for the most part I figure I'm eating pretty healthy.

Does this mean that I won't have a heart attack or stroke, etc.? Heck no. But at least I figure I'm doing the best I can while still enjoying myself dining wise.

Really?! You don't say! Geez, that sets a whole new light on things. Captain Obvious at work.:rolleyes:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but as for your first paragraph, GB has already told me that. And I didn't argue with him on it.

Read his post, please if you will. No need to keep on harping on that part.

Yes, I remember Jim Fixx, and yes, he DID have heart disease. He used to do the Quaker 100% Natural Cereal commercial. And it all depends on the duration that he spent losing the weight. I've been told that if a person loses weight too fast,
that it's dangerous.

Richard Simmons also became a health and fitness freak. He almost died during his weight loss.

Last edited:
Perhaps not you Corey123, but it's apparent that there's obviously a long-held rumor around that Atkins did die from a diet-related heart attack.

I was just adding another confirmation that that was definitely NOT the case, just as many folks will continue to perpetuate the falsehood that he did.

As far as Jim Fixx goes, he also decidedly did NOT lose his 60+ pounds rapidly. Where did you get that info?? And yes, he did have heart disease, which is what killed him. It ran thoroughly rampant in his family, & he made the mistake of thinking that his newly healthful ways meant he didn't need to consult health professionals.

A healthy diet & exercise doesn't necessarily preclude stupidity.

I never said the Fixx DID lose his weight rapidly.

I said it all depends on the duration that it took him to do it.

And yes, a person's doc should be consulted if and when a person wants to lose weight. Some docs will recommend it, as in the case of mine. My last visit with him, he was quite happy to find out that I'm losing weight!

BreezyCooking said:

/quote]

you bet your bippy I do. I long felt that was one of the most ironic deaths in the health/food/exercise circles.

And you first sentence is right on. I have my genes working against me, have heart disease big time on both sides of my families. So I do all I can to eat fresh, unprocessed, whole grain, and home grown foods.:cool:

Heart disease, cancer, lukemia, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure congestive heart failure, asthma - all of those illnesses have also ravaged on both sides of my family.

I. along with two other bros. were diagnosed with diabetes. We lost one. Most or all of the stuff that I used to gorge on, I had to let go or at least
drastically cut back on.

I thought that diabetes was as far as I'd end up getting, but in October, along came CHF! I was totally devistated, hurt and almost died!!

Back
Top Bottom