Atkins Diet Back in the News.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
The Atkins Diet has been said to be good again. It's a low-carb diet geared at greatly reducing carbs in the body, thereby allowing the user of the diet to shed some weight.

It was on the news this morning. For a while, the diet has been under fire because top health officials have been saying that it wouldn't work and was dangerous.

The inventor of the diet, Dr. Atkins, has died several years ago from a heart attack. Since then, the diet itself has been the subject of controversy, leading many top experts to place a big question mark on the diet.

Now, those same experts who have critisized the diet are saying that it's good again!

Me either redkitty. There is no way something that nearly eliminates an essential part of the food pyramid can be good for you. Every nutritionist/dietician that I have spoken to says that you need every component (carbs, protein, fat, etc) in your diet to stay healthy. The key is of course balance (diet and exercise) and moderation.

The Adkins Diet along with 99.9% of all Fad diets are designed to make money! Period. Will they work? Maybe. But at what costs? They are what I call "Snake Oil"... Reminiscence of the traveling minstrel shows of days gone by where the "magic elixer" was a cure all.
"Step right up ladies and gentleman"......for only $.50... 1 bottle of Dr. Bob's potion will cure..........:LOL:

Uncle Bob said:
"Step right up ladies and gentleman"......for only $.50... 1 bottle of Dr. Bob's potion will cure..........:LOL:

Is there whiskey in that bottle? :LOL:

I couldn't do that diet even if I wanted to.

My landlord was trying to talk me into going on it. But I told him that since I've been diagnosed with diabetes last June, I can't do it on account I need some starch and sugar to keep the glucose level stable so that it does not get too dangerously low.

Actually, the most recent version of the diet as outlined in Dr. Atkins' last book - Atkins For Life - is a far cry from the original. You really can't make any assumptions about the healthiness or workability of this diet unless you've read it.

It is definitely NOT a carb-free diet. It simply makes a distinction between good & bad carbs, as in refined flours, sugars, white pasta, potatoes, etc., versus whole grain flours, beans, whole grains, fruits, & vegetables. In fact, the current Atkins' diet is virtually the same as other diets of this type (South Beach). It does not recommend or advocate eating nothing but protein or fatty meats like bacon, etc. - something everyone seems to associate with the original version.

Frankly, I found it extremely easy to follow, felt great, never hungry, & lost 20 pounds (which I kept off). My husband did even better, losing about 34 pounds, which he also kept off.

While we do enjoy regular potatoes, white pastas, & breads occasionally, we do so in moderation.

Alix said:
There is no way something that nearly eliminates an essential part of the food pyramid can be good for you.

Who told you this? The Atkins diet, the South Beach diet, the Protein Power diet, etc. all eliminate almost all the carbohydrates from your diet, yes. FOR TWO WEEKS, not for the rest of your life! And take it from me, as a personal trainer, sports nutritionist, senior fitness instructor, and all around healthy type person who observes the modern human in its native habitat, most Americans can well afford to eliminate a ton of carbs from their diets. The average American diet contains two to three times the carbs required for good health, and the worst part of it is, they are consuming mostly processed, simple carbs (white bread, white rice, white potatoes, white macaroni), which are being converted almost instantly into sugar, remain unused due to both the failure of their endocrine system and their sedentary lifestyle, and end up being stored as fat. Now pay close attention, because I am going to explain exactly how a low carbohydrate diet is supposed to work, and will work, IF, and only IF you read and follow the instructions (a.k.a RTFM):

The first two weeks, you eliminate almost all carbohydrates, which means starches and sugars, from your diet, except for the small amounts contained in your vegetables, and the vegetables you eat will depend on which diet you choose, with Atkins being the most severe carb reduction. The purpose of this reduction in carbs is to sort of reset your endocrine system so that it stops squirting you full of insulin every time you eat. Because your diet has contained so much processed starch and sugar, your body wasn't capable of excreting enough insulin to process the sugars for delivery to your cells, so it tried producing and exctreting more and more every time you ate, until you are producing way too much insulin, and it still isn't enough to do the job. This is what leads to the condition called insulin resistance, which is the first step towards type II diabetes.

So now, with your carb levels at a new all time low, you are required to excrete very little insulin, giving your endocrine system both a long needed rest, and a sort of reset. You will also be consuming fewer calories, and the calories you do consume will be more useable, so you will begin to lose weight, big time!

Now after the first two weeks, you will start reintroducing carbs into your diet slowly, but this time, it will be only complex carbs, with lots of fiber to go with it, and you will consume it in conjunction with large amounts of lean protein and unsaturated fat, which all act to naturally slow down digestion of the carbs. So now your endocrine system is once again ready to start excreting the correct amount of insulin to process these carbs so that your body may use them as fuel, leaving none behind for your body to slap around your waist, on your butt, on the bottom of your upper arms, under your chin, or anywhere else you are bound to find it embarrassing. You will continue to lose weight, but to a lesser degree.

As you progress with your new lifestyle, learning what substances are good for you (lean protein, mono- and non-saturated fats, and whole grains), and what substances are bad for you (saturated fat-laden meats and dairy products and processed grains), you will control and maintian your weight by ensuring your calorie intake is equal to your calorie requirements.

THAT is how, when administered properly, a low carbohydrate diet works, and it will definitley work. THE FIRST TIME! If you go back to your caveman ways, screw up your body and your endocrine system, and then decide to repeat the low carb process, it isn't going to be half as effective as it was the first time, and it's going to take a LOT longer to get back on track.

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:
Actually, the most recent version of the diet as outlined in Dr. Atkins' last book - Atkins For Life - is a far cry from the original. You really can't make any assumptions about the healthiness or workability of this diet unless you've read it.

It is definitely NOT a carb-free diet. It simply makes a distinction between good & bad carbs, as in refined flours, sugars, white pasta, potatoes, etc., versus whole grain flours, beans, whole grains, fruits, & vegetables. In fact, the current Atkins' diet is virtually the same as other diets of this type (South Beach). It does not recommend or advocate eating nothing but protein or fatty meats like bacon, etc. - something everyone seems to associate with the original version.

Frankly, I found it extremely easy to follow, felt great, never hungry, & lost 20 pounds (which I kept off). My husband did even better, losing about 34 pounds, which he also kept off.

While we do enjoy regular potatoes, white pastas, & breads occasionally, we do so in moderation.

I don't remember anyone saying that it's a carb-free diet.

I think ALL of those low-carb diets are met with scorn and controversy though.

As always, Caine, excellent advice. You broke it down to a very simple level, while not including too much detail to confuse everyone.

I have not read Atkins' books so I can't be sure exactly what he advocates, but I have seen this time and time again: a person wants to lose weight so they begin the Atkins diet. For some reason, they believe that fat they are supposed to be eating should come from terribly saturated sources, i.e. bacon, sour cream, cheese, fatty pork, fatty beef, etc. Unfortunately those fat sources DO taste excellent. These people might lose some weight intially from the drastic reduction in carbohydrates, but the ratio of protien:fat is out of whack, and the fat sources set them up for an early heart attack. That being said, saturated fats (in small amounts) are good for the body in the sense that they regulate hormones and other processes in the body. Cutting them out completely is not the best option, but eating a higher percentage of fats from monos and polys than sats is a good idea.

The body needs carbohydrates -- this is a fact. However, eating the RIGHT carbs in the RIGHT amounts at the RIGHT times and with the RIGHT combination of other foods is the key. Sometimes if I'm looking to drop fat in a hurry I will exclude as much carbs as possible. That is very effective, but its not a lifelong way of eating. If someone's metabolism is running fine and they do not desire to lose fat quickly then a diet that includes carbohydrates would be a wise choice. That's all I feel like sharing right now...

Ok i have been on adkins before and i can say without a dought that it works very well. I lost the most body weight on this diet than anything else. I don't think it should be a life long diet though. You loose your weight on it then you return to eating healthy. Some people stick with it for life. I would not do this but when you go on it WOW the results. I can tell you one thing its the hardest diet to stay on. When i first started it i will get headaches when your body switches over from carbs to ketones for its energy. After 2-3 weeks this passes though. I could never go on it now because im a runner. As a runner there is no way i could eliminate carbs like this from my diet.

Ncage

My mother and I went on Atkins at the same time a couple of years ago. Interestingly it suited her very very well, she felt good and pound were shedding quickly. Interestingly she did not ahere presisely and upped the salad amount. Meanwhile I stuck the the thing precisely and was eating more eggs and lean meat than anything else and I was miserable and felt seriously unhealthy. At the end of a month my mother had done well, I had gained 2 pounds! Is it simply a case of horses for courses?

Holy cow Caine, RELAX! As I said in my post I get my information from nutritionists and registered dieticians. I certainly didn't mean to inspire a rant from you or to upset Breezy or anyone else who successfully used the diet either. My apologies, sometimes I'm a bit flip and my humour doesn't translate well.

I would however like to address a few of your comments Caine. I'm Canadian, and we have a Food Guide here not a food pyramid as they do in the US. I'm unfamiliar with the amounts recommended on that pyramid. If you follow the Canada Food Guide you will find that you take in all the nutrients you need in the correct fashion and amounts. There is NO NEED to eliminate carbs from your diet to lose weight. The fact that it works for people does not mean its a healthy alternative. Changing from simple to complex carbs (as you said) is key. Eliminating most of the carbs from your diet impairs brain function over the long term. Especially memory function. I am not saying that a short term elimination of carbs doesn't have the desired effect of weight loss. I'm saying that in the long term, you need to follow a correct and balanced diet to be healthy. Resetting your endocrine system is interesting, but not necessary for most of us. Changing your habits is what is required. Following a recommended diet and exercise program will have you losing weight gradually. You won't lose it as quickly as on a carb restricted diet, but you WILL lose the weight.

Geez, I rattled on and on there. Sorry. All I'm saying is Atkins isn't necessary. Fewer calories in, (and better food choices) and more calories expended in exercise is the safest and best way to lose weight.

Alix said:
...Fewer calories in, (and better food choices) and more calories expended in exercise is the safest and best way to lose weight.

Alix, you're forgetting liposuction...:-p

ROFL! DOH!!
3.gif

Alix - no offense taken. I just take offense at folks who see the word "Atkins" & automatically think "bacon, butter, fatty meat, etc." Nothing could be further from the truth. I just want people to do the research before being critical of a diet that has not only allowed people to lose weight, but has also lowered their blood pressure & cholesterol - as this recent published study of 300 women has shown the Atkins diet has accomplished. And the study was completely independent.

The point I (& the study published in the Washington Post yesterday) was trying to make was that the the Atkins Diet works, & works healthily, because it discriminates between "good" & "bad" carbs. Not only that, but the study showed that the Atkins diet actually, in some cases, increased "good" cholesterol. Go figure.

Lean meats, lots of veggies, & whole-grain carbs cannot by any way or means be found to be unhealthy.

Lean meats, lots of veggies, & whole-grain carbs cannot by any way or means be found to be unhealthy.

Nope, you are absolutely right on that one. And we are clearly on the same page about changing habits and making better food choices. I suspect the only piece that we disagree about is the initial couple of weeks where the carbs are gone. I am sure it does exactly what Caine is saying about "resetting your endocrine system", and it does give you a jump start on the weight loss. My point is just that it is unnecessary, and there is a potential for abuse there. Does that make sense?

(Oh, and again, Washington Post is a bit outside my normal scope of reading. I'd have to go look that up. Globe and Mail is more what I'd be looking for. ;) )

Back
Top Bottom