"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 08-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #11
OK, I mostly don't weigh myself, I just judge by how my pants fit. If they are tight, I lay off the goodies a bit.

Now my question is seasonally related. This may sound a bit weird, but does anyone else find themselves putting on a few pounds in the summer and losing them in the winter? I do that, and I joke that my body must be preparing to hibernate. I don't change my eating habits much, but it happens every year. Anyone else?

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I'm the other way around, I lose in summer and put on in winter!!! In my pervious life I was a big Eastern European momma with lots of kids who had to have plenty of insulation!!!! That's my story!!!!

I wish I could lose 9 pounds and drop a dress size. The trouble is when you are really fluffy you have to lose a lot more to drop a dress size.

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by kyles
I wish I could lose 9 pounds and drop a dress size. The trouble is when you are really fluffy you have to lose a lot more to drop a dress size.
It kind of caught me off guard that I went down. Mind you, it still may be a tight fit!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:40 AM   #14
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
You all are doing great! Alix, I'm the oppisite, I usually gain about 10-15 pounds in the winter because I tend to eat more comfort & hearty foods.
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Kyles: 51 pounds! You are my hero! I am now down 42 pounds and gave myself a weekend off from the diet to enjoy some BBQ and some bread baking. I did keep the portion sizes in check but I did eat more than normal and I did have foods I normaly would not, like the fresh baked bread.

Monday it is back to the diet! I have about 32 pounds to reach my initial goal weight of 230. I am a tall fellow so 230 will leave me solid but not chunky! My Ultimate goal is to get to 210. That would represent a loss of 95 pounds from this starting point and 100 pounds from my heaviest ever.

I still find it fairly easy to stay to the diet. I am also increasing the physical activity level. I spend lunch time at work walking around the inside of my factory. I don't know how far ten laps of the plant is but it is a good walk. Of course my employees know I am working at taking of weight and they are very supportive if somewhat amused!

On a side note: I offer my apologies to the members of this thread for my acerbic rejoinder to the posting of another in the old thread that I found to be demeaning to those of us that fight the battle of the waist line. I didn't intend to turn a friendly and supportive thread in to a battle ground.
Where you are is where you belong, it is where you are going that you can change
SpiceUmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #16
Head Chef
Good going, Kyles & Spicey! I've lost a few since I last checked in- I weighed in at 185 today (from my max of 285 two years ago). I haven't been quite as strict as I near my "ideal" range of 170-175.

Keeping the working out going has been a major challenge lately. I was just promoted to chef/kitchen manager of (arguably) the finest restaurant in the state- whether permanently or as an interim assignment, I'm not sure, but it's a sweet job, nonetheless. Unfortunately, I've been putting in 75 hour weeks, and I find it hard to come off a 14 hour shift and bang out 100 Hindu squats and a 3 mile walk. But the schedule should settle down after I get a bit more of a handle on the job.

Anyway, keep it up, Kyles. Just visualize youself as you'll look in whatever dress size you think is ideal. I've promised myself when I hit 180 lbs I'm gonna buy myself a new leather jacket. And I don't want to let myself down!

If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote