"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-11-2006, 02:04 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
While not per se for lunch I do try to have some live culture yogurt every day (I love yogurt!) It does a lot to help keep the natural, helpful bacteria (gut flora) in your digestive track healthy and provides calcium, something that is so important for women (I hear my mom's voice when I say that ).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Some recent research has shown that a diet high in calcium (which is just as important for men as well as women) can also help weight loss mainly by limiting fat absorption by the body (your eliminate more fat in faecal waste) as well as (it is thought) that calcium can have a positive affect on a person's metabolism.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

You have no idea what this person eats at any other time of day. Maybe this is a convenience. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about it--good source of calcium, complex carbs. Is this person a friend/family member? Why is it of concern to you specifically?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I need to eat a lot of yogurt to compensate for antibiotics that I have to take sometimes that kill a lot of natural bacteria, causing me a lot of problems! I'm pretty sure eating yogurt every day is good for most people, and at least you can vary the flavors.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
Executive Chef

grumblebee

I do so appreciate your advice. I made this post some time ago and often wondered if this was really good? Now that you tell me english muffin better I will remember to tell this person. I just hope they don't take it the wrong way when I try to change their habits. My mother in law always served bagels with margerine. I never ate them because of the margarine now I would tell her to eat english muffins. Her own son would not say anything about margarine knowing that he felt the same way I did about margarine. You think if it is your mother y ou would want the best for her too. Thanks grumblebee for sharing.

Caine, it is sure strange how we get into habits from the way we are raised. My family ate nothing but oatmeal for breakfast. As time progressed, we knew that others ate bacon and eggs. My mother didn't mind fixing something different for breakfast if that was our wish. Just interesting that your mom never tired of same meal every week. Guess I am just spoiled and she probably grateful to have something to eat. I do like variety in everything. Do you continue to do the same way your mom did or you t rying variet y?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
You have no idea what this person eats at any other time of day. Maybe this is a convenience. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about it--good source of calcium, complex carbs. Is this person a friend/family member? Why is it of concern to you specifically?
Happens to be very good friend and I asked them why they do this? Want to lose weight and money issue. I would rather have them eat something beneficial if I could. guess you might say it is do unto others kind of thing. If I do something that is not good for me, I would like someone to consider informing me. I meant no harm in asking benefits.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:44 AM   #17
Senior Cook

It wasn't until I went away to uni and started cooking for myself that mum started cooking differently at home. When I was back at home during my holidays we would all take in turns cooking dinner. My dad now even eats fancy foreign food (ie pasta and rice!).
..I usually have a sandwhich with wholemeal wholegrain bread, cold meat and salad.....I don't know about the kj but it is tasty, filling and high in fibre....and that and a piece of fruit will get me through until i finish work!

I couldn't have a bagal if i wanted to...i don't know how to make them and I can't buy them where I live.......2 cups of yoghurt..isn't that a lot? for one meal?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:17 AM   #18
Executive Chef

My thinking is that many people eat worse lunches. What about the fast food stuff that surely isn't as healthy. I agree it seems boring and not a good choice for every day. Perhaps the person needs lots of calcium or has another problem that yogurt helps. It isn't reasonable calorie-wise either, but many people eat more calories than that. If we all ate wisely all the time, none of us would be overweight from overeating.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
Master Chef

I'm always astonished by the number of people who are in such eating ruts (OK, habits) that they eat the same thing, day after day. I would go crazy. I usually look in the fridge and find what needs to be used up and eat it. Lots of salads in the summer, lots of pasta whatever veggies need to go in the winter. When I was gainfully employed, it was soups, salads, or stews ... either purchased or leftovers from the night before. But then as now, rarely the same thing twice. I really dislike cereal, and have a problem eating sandwiches (don't ask me why, but I always make a mess). I also like to make healthy pizzas using a whole grain flat bread, slices of tomato, sprinkle of a good strong cheese, olives, etc.