"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-29-2005, 01:25 AM   #31
Master Chef

Guess I should have gone on to say that a balanced diet isn't just one meal aday, huh buckytom? One meal a day will cause the "primative" metabolism to kick in and be just as bad as a diet that deprives the body of one essential "something" - just as you described. All I can remember from the research project I was involved with was that there were 3 meals a day and 3 snacks ... the majority of the calories were in the morning and early afternoon ... I haven't seen my books/notes since XW and I divorced about 25 years ago.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

lol michael. i was sure you knew, but i just added it as an fyi (and i got to make a joke using "plateus" ).

i like the term primitive metabolism. i am extremely guilty of triggering mine. i enjoy eating so much that rather than eat a rushed meal or snack, i wait until all work is done for the day so i can sit down, slow down, and savor my meal. then, i don't want to have to get up and do anything afterwards but relax. i should move to europe.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:04 AM   #33
Master Chef

Everytime I get my tummy full, I have to take a nap! That's why I don't eat breakfast...I just munch a few soda crackers with my morning pills. Then I have a light lunch...usually soup...and take a nap. I save my big meal for supper, about 8:00, and am usually in bed by 9:00.

By the way, has anyone suggested popcorn as a light snack? I love to put a good movie in the DVD player and fix a bag of popcorn.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I've started eating 5 mini meals a day, spreading my calories out over the day. Now that I am weight training my previously slow as a wet fortnight metabolism is whizzing along, and I feel hungry often, but eating regular little meals is helping, and a side effect is I don't need to snack!

Blueberries and strawberries are my current favourite snack food. I am still amazed that a punnet of blueberries has 40 calories, and tenth of my favourite chocolate bar, and tastes nicer, and has nutritional value, unlike the chocolate bar!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Wow!! Pita Chips

I heard of tortilla chip but never pita chips,That a wonderful subsitute. I'm always looking for new ideas for healthy snacks while watching television. Thanks CookingGal
Old 07-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to shannon_ball1126 Send a message via MSN to shannon_ball1126
fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
I snack on lots of veggies. I avoid fruits because of the sugar content. I have never been that fond of fruits anyway. Nuts are a great snack, if you eat them in the proper portions. I usually measure out mine in a ziploc bag.

When losing weight make sure you drink lots of water. Also, exercise portion control. Most of us eat way more than we should. It is ok to be hungry and to not totally clean your plate.

Good Luck!!

Do fruit really have that much sugar?? So, would eating veggies or fruit be better?? Or just a bit of both, moderation??

Is the US really the fatest country in the world??

shannon_ball1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Eat 2 pounds of bacon a day.....nothing else.....for 30 days. You should loose 30 pounds.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Peppers eat peppers!!!!! The Hotter the better!!!!

ORRRRRRR.....

You can try one, just one unsalted potato chip as a snack, hehehehe.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:51 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Peppers stuffed and wrapped in bacon.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

On of my favorite snacks when I just have to have something sweet is No Pudge Brownies. Its a mix called No Pudge Fudge Brownie Mix. Its fat free and 90 calories for a 2" square brownie. You can even make individual servings in the microwave. Just mix 2 tablespoons of mix with 1 tablespoon of fat free vanilla yogurt and microwave for 1 minute. Its delicious!