Best diet snacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
What are the best things that I can use to snack on??
I will explain more later, but, I'm in a race about the weight loss with my nephew in law. I'm on my way to the grocery store. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carrots... cherry tomatoes... lots of water.... celery....

My wonderful hubby got on the internet this morning and according to which ever site he was on, he's decided I'm 15 pounds short of being OBESE. So.. I'm racing right along side of you ( at least for today, I'm NOT good at dieting lol)

The most important thing to remember when you are dieting is to eat 6 small meals instead of 3 larger ones. The obvious veggies and fruits are things to buy. Things that you can get that are either fat free or just a percentage of fat. Stay away from sugar. Buy splenda or another sweetener candy, for sweets but make sure you don't eat a lot of it because most have more fat to make up for the lack of sugar. I love pig skins, they are salty, nice and crunchy and don't have a lot of calories.

If I had more time I would elaborate, but time for me to go home for the day!!! YIPPEE ITS FRIDAY!!!!!!!

I'd love to do the six meal a day thing, but it just isn't possible with my schedule! I snack on apples, they are so filling and there are so many varieties, fresh berries (frozen ones are great when it's hot), occasionally rice cakes, but being high GI they can make your blood sugar peak, and you feel hungry again quite quickly. Veggies are great, I love cucumber with low fat cucumber yoghurt dressing. I can't see pig skins fitting into my diet, they are high in saturated fat and cholesterol.

The pig skins I eat saturated fat is 1g and cholesterol is 10mg. Not sure if that is really a lot or not, but since I try and stay away from most fatty foods, this is my way of cheating without too much of a problem. Pig skins....yummy. :)

don't forget fat-free yogurt and cottage cheese, light bread spread with fat-free cream cheese, salads with fat-free dressing, and beans.

ok, I bought carrots, cottage cheese and pears{love the combo} salad mix, fat free yogurt and apples.

Our family reunion is July 22nd. I made a bet with my nieces husband because she is worried about the extra 50 lbs because of family diseases. She has tried to get him to do stuff with her, but, not working. So, I thought that if we both were doing this on a bet, then it would be incentive enough for us both to get off our butts and do something about our weight :eek:)
Whoever loses the most by the reunion, wins. If he wins, I buy him 18 holes of golf and if I win, the same $$ on smirnoff twisted watermelon and apple.
Hopefully, this will work for us both.
Thanks for your help!!!

middie said:
someone told me to steer clear of carrots cause there's alot of sugar in them. is that true?

Carrots do have a lot of sugar FOR A VEGETABLE, but an average sized carrot only has about 30 calories.

I'd be careful with labeling. Just because something is fat free doesn't mean it's low in calories.

Almonds. Roasted or raw, plain or smoked, salt free if possible.

Yes, carrots are high in sugar, but you would have to eat an entire bushel to get a blood sugar spike, and then you'd have an additional problem because eating that many carrots can turn your skin orange.

Last edited:
As Oprah says, no one ever got fat eating carrots. I don't like carrots very much, don't know why!!! Maybe that will be my next task, I used to not like apples, now I eat one every day!!!

How about cherries and grapes. I have been eating FF Jello Pudding Snacks to cut the sugar cravings. Oprah recommended the ff, sugar free fudgcicles (sp?)-they aren't so bad. For me the cravings subside when I stop eating the bad foods, but as soon as I eat them it's back to the outrageous cravings!!! They also make jello pudding pops, but I haven't checked out the nutritional information on them yet.

honestly if you're trying to lose weight... drink about 10 glasses of water a day, and don't snack, but have several small, light, healthy meals throughout the day. And workout if at all possible.

Carrots are nearly equivalent to small potatoes in starch content, + the added sugar. Cottage cheese is very healthy, esp. if you got the low fat. Pears are sugary as well.

If you've got to have snack foods, cottage cheese is good, with a citrus fruit instead of pears, like fresh pineapple. Try munching on fresh broccoli, or celery. And if when you're hungry, always drink a large glass of water before you eat, b/c you'll feel less hungry. Also, cheese is a good thing to munch on, but only in small portions.

A lot of my diet is based on low-carb/Atkins theory. Starches are ok, but steer clear from processed starches (pastas or white breads) as much as possible. If you are eating any sort of starch, make sure to not eat any fats with it, because the starch triggers a hormone in your pancreas that makes you body immediately store the fat. Eat a lot of salads, but go easy on dressing, b/c they're very sugary and fatty. To add some excitement to salads, try adding grilled chicken, almonds, and a few mandarin orange slices, and maybe a little bit of Parmesan. Stay away from croutons. For meat eat a lot of lean pork, chicken and beef. Best to stay away from bacon and fatty meats unless you're going to have a completely carb-free day. Eggs are good if your cholestrol is in check. I like to have eggs for breakfast 1 or 2 days a week. If you can't do the eggs, try eggbeaters. If you like fresh tomatoes, eat gobs of them. Have them with some cottage cheese and black pepper. They're extremely healthy, and contain lots and lots of anitoxidants.

One more thing I've discovered: No-carb works like a charm, if you don't cheat EVER. I went no-carb for 3 weeks, and dropped about 25 lbs... 10 in the first week. Do not attempt this if you have doubts about your ability to stick with it, though, because it just won't work. Eat meats, and veggies, and as a general rule, stay away from all fruits, and starchy veggies like carrots or potatoes. Nuts are ok in very very small quantities. You can accelerate the process further by eating a lot of fish, especially shellfish, which are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Fatty meats are ok, but stick to lean for slightly better results. And drink water like a fish. Working out daily will also help this plan a lot. I'm not going to lie, this diet is the hardest i've ever been on, but I have to admit, as long as I stayed with it, it worked. I wouldn't reccomend it long term, and you've got to be careful coming off this diet. Make slow transitions into a lower-fat and calorie diet, with lots of greens, and occasional starches. And remember, once you drop the fat, you'll eat less. Fat cells release hormones the make you feel hungry when you're really not.

Low Calorie Dip/Salad Dressing

Miracle Whip Lite has only 25 calories per tablespoon, versus the 90-100 in Mayonnaise (depending on brand).

I spoon some into a bowl, add a squirt of lemon juice, a splash of worchester sauce, a healthy spoonful of horseradish, and dill weed to taste. It's great for dipping fresh broccoli, cauliflower, pepper sticks and the like. It's also good as a salad dressing or served as a sauce for tuna, salmon etc.

You can play around with the flavor if you like...skip the dill weed and add roasted garlic, blue cheese, or whatever.

Hope you like it...we do! :)

If you absolutely have to have something sweet, try Blue Bunny sugar free yogurt and their sugar free ice cream bars are outstanding too.

i used to make these when i went on a health kick in high school. (till my parents flipped out and threw all of my light food out cause i was underweight as it was:)
spray 2 pcs. light bread with spray-on fake butter. i used to use country crock but 'i can't believe it's not butter' makes one. add a slice of kraft fat-free American cheese singles and close the sandwich. grill. you can add tomato or dill pickle slices.
it comes out to 120 calories.
also try puffed rice cereal with splenda and fat-free milk.
water-packed drained tuna, diced celery or peeled and seeded cucumber, a little diced onion, kraft fat-free mayo, and fresh-cracked black pepper make for a good tuna salad. put it on light toasted bread.
sugar free jell-o with fat-free reddi-whip is a good choice. it's only 15 calories per serving.
egg beaters are great, too. add a little black pepper, garlic powder and salt. there's only 30 calories per serving. you can make an egg sammich with these, too.
i used to have half a lender's bagel w/ fat-free cream cheese and sliced bananas or strawberries on top.
i'd also make a salad from steamed chicken breast cooked with poultry seasoning and salt, chopped, and black beans, romaine lettuce and minced garlic.
i ate a lot of fat-free saltines.
this works, i promise. i dropped to 82 pounds (a 26-pound loss) eating these things for a few months, 3 or so, plus anisette cookies, V-8 juice (add garlic powder and worcestershire), diet pop, popsicles, green beans, fat-free yogurt, fat-free milk, salads w/ fat-free dressing, fat-free cottage cheese, cup-a-soup, International Foods flavored instant coffee packets, and beef broth made with beef base.
till my parents put an end to that. i'm still really skinny, though!:LOL:

Last edited:
That 120 cal grilled cheese sounds like it's just up my alley-It's EASY!!lol
You can also use a dry dip mix or soup mix and combine with plain yogurt. I think they have ff and low fat. I used to use Lipton soup mixes, but since I've been selling Watkins it makes more sense to use theirs! I love the garlic & dill seasoning mixed with plain yogurt and spread on pita. You can add meat or veggies to make a wrap for dinner. Another easy recipe!

I have to watch my weight pretty carefully, because I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis. I can't exercise much at all, but I have to be careful with my weight, or I won't be able to walk. That means I have to cut corners where I can.

Sometimes I do the fat-free Kraft slices on Sara Lee whole wheat bread...spray the outer side of bread with butter flavored cooking spray and toast in non-stick skillet.

I also eat a lot of Healthy Choice soup. I can have a whole can, with 8 soda crackers and a cup of skim milk for an under 500 calorie lunch. It's also lower in sodium than most canned soups. You'd be surprised how satisfying and filling a lunch like this can be.
Progresso and Campbell's also make a lot of delicious low calorie soups. Just check the label.

:)

Ouch Constance I simpathize with you. I had arthritis in both my knees at a younger than normal age. It ended up so bad I was an inch away from being in a wheelchair. For a year I was in such pain that at first I took the elevator between floors and then it had gotten worse and I ended up having people come get their documents from me instead of delivering them. I finally got up enough nerve to go and have both my knees operated on. A full year later and I have titanium knees, set off the airport alarms, but walking standing straight up and no pain. Has been a hard road and I do have some nerve damage, but am thankful that I finally can walk up and down the stairs at work.

Back
Top Bottom