Beware of Irregular or Fast Heart Rate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy oh boy, Corey123. Sorry to hear what happened, glad you're still here to tell the tale. Take good care of yourself.

Thank you all!

In dealing with CHF, while in the emergency room, the docs had administered a more powerful version of the coumadin in liquid form through IV in small amounts.

When my heart rate reached 110 and was able to stay there, then and only then, was I allowed to be conveyed to a room upstairs for the hospital stay.

Over the weekend, two cardiologists had talked to me about having the shock treatment. They said that it would be the first of many tries to get the heart back in sync. The shock treatment did the trick!

The procedure WAS a success, but in order for the heart to STAY that way, the meds that they had me on while there, have to continue in order for the heart not to go back to the way that it was before it was restored to mormal rythem, in addition to the meds that I was already on.

I also had two shots of morphine plus some valium to ease the anxieties and stop those breathing attacks. One of the meds is to help keep the fluid off my lungs. That fluid was causing the breathing attacks.

The mix-up with the meds came when I had mistakingly stopped taking the cardizem and kept taking coumadin. The cardizem has stopped working and was replaced with a more powerful medicine for the heart and blood pressure to stay normal.

Last edited:
That makes me feel somewhat better--you were being treated for the irregular heartbeat--it hadn't gone unnoticed.

Thank you all!!

That's something that I never want to experience ever again!!

I really thought that I was going to die - and cried for mercy at the same time. It was very frightening and chilling!!

But it's so comfoting and relaxing to know that I can breathe much easier and sleep good at night without those **** breathing attacks and fast heart rate!!!

Last edited:
I just had another relapse last week!!!

Same thing! It began at home when the SOB (shortness of breath) started. Had to call 911 and they rushed me to the nearest hospital!!

Was there for 6 days and was released yesterday. Turns out that the toprol wasn't powerful enough. They had me on amiodorone through IV to help bring the heartrate back down, but that stuff has serious side effects and I

I caused me to have a loss of appitite, weakness and nausea. I got sick and vomitted that night right after having another SOB attack. After that, they took me off the stuff and said that I've suffered enough side effects from it. I'm on the pill version, which should work, but with none of those sickening side effects.

I had an ultrasound to make sure their were no blood clots, and there wern't any, then a cardioversion yesterday. I'm alright now. The heartrate is back where it belongs, but I can't do too much or I'll get too tired easily.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience in early 2005, when I got the flu and it turned into double pneumonia and then sepsis, where all your organs shut down. I was off work for over 3 months while they tried to get everything working again. Somehow, maybe when they did the cardioversion, my vocal chord got damaged and paralyzed too, so I had a funny, whispery high pitched voice for over 7 months. It was frightening. They had to confirm with hubby the DNR request twice while I was hospitalized, because they were sure I would throw a clot and not make it.

I hope they get your medicines straightened out soon, and that you get through it and get better soon.

BC

I'm trying so hard to, but at the same time, I'm scared to death of this and hope that it will eventually go away, even though they say that there is no known cure for it. In drastic cases, a heart transplant seems to be the only way out.

As a result of this latest bout, I'm on 11 different types of medicine to help control diabetes, high blood pressure, CHF, cholesterol and to help eliminate fluid in the lungs.

And BTW, the docs suggested that I not drink any more alcohol, at lease for a while, as it contributes to extra fluid in the body and possibly triggers the heart to have a relapse back to an irregular beat and palipitations. So now if I go out drinking, it can only be beverages with no alcohol.

I practically have to live a clean alcohol-free, very low sodium healthful stress-free life now and avoid too much stress.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
I practically have to live a clean alcohol-free, very low sodium healthful stress-free life now and avoid too much stress.

While that might be hard to swallow right now, it beats the alternative!

BC

I think my alcohol-drinking days are behind me now.

I never was an alcoholic, but I haven't touched any alcohol for a while now. Not since Thanksgiving, and I STILL have liquor and beer in the house and I'm not tempted to drink any!!

I am so sorry that you had to go through such a scare. You better take care of yourself from now on!!!!
Be VERY careful with the Cumatin!!!! It can be very bad news if they don't monitor you. I won't get into it, but, just make sure they watch your blood thinness at regular visits.

Thank you all for your continued support!!

Incidently, I AM going to see the doc today to see how the cumadin is doing. They've once told me to stop with it because the blood was too thin, then the told me to take half a pill.

I AM trying to be more careful this time. And it also looks like some of my strength is returning back to me. As long as I don't overtax myself, I think I'll be fine.

Heart is STILL at the normal beat. No A-fib and no palipitations so far. I was on longer treatment at the hospital this time around and wasn't rushed out.

Yes, it takes time to heal, and hopefully all of my strength will return. But I just can't rush things, or I might end up back in danger again, and I don't want that to happen ever again.

That is the most scariest thing - Not being able to breathe!!! I was deathly afraid to lye down because of that, thinking that I might die!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom