"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Exclamation Beware of Irregular or Fast Heart Rate!

To All Members,

Please be aware of your heart rate!! If you notice an irregular or fast heart rate, it could spell serious trouble!!!

For many years, I've noticed my heart beating irregualry at times. The last few months, it really began to rear its ugly head and last week, it had me going to the emergency room to have it looked at!! I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure!!! I was immediately hospitalized for four days. I was a walking time bomb and didn't even know it at the time!!

I got confused on which medicine to stop taking per order of the doc and got myself into some serious trouble! My heart was beating so fast that it also had me gasping for air at night and in the hospital! Fluid was in my lungs! I thought that I was going to die!!!

Long story short, I was ultra-sounded to make sure that I had no blood clots, then I was put to sleep for about 15 minutes and my heart had to be shocked-treated with a defilbrilator to return it back to its regular normal beat - which was successful.

But that means more medicine to help keep it that way. I'm back home now, but I went through something that I wouldn't want anyone else to go through! And a lot of it has to do with the food you eat.

So please, if you notice anything strange with your heart and if it beats strangely, do not hesitate to have it checked out. It could mean the difference between life and death!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I'm glad you have had a diagnosis. It is not a difficult problem to medicate and keep controlled. Unfortunately, with certain types of this, the long time fibrillation leads to an enlarged heart chamber and there is an added problem that can lead to stroke (the ultra-sound/blood clot). So your advice to be diagnosed is, of course, excellent.
If someone is not familiar with the feeling of an irregular heartbeat, it is that sort of "jump" feeling--when you truly feel as if your heart has missed a beat. A sort of "hole in the chest" feeling.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Corey:

Glad to hear you did the smart thing and took action.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yes!!

I noticed it but ignored it for years. Thought nothing of it!!

I was on blood thinners (Heperin and Cumiton) to reduce or eliminate the chance of any blood clots which could cause a stroke, heart attack, or one could get into the lungs, which is also fatal. I'm STILL on them.

A-fibrillation, it is called. And if fluid gets into your lungs, you'll get a tight feeling in your chest and your oxygen will be cut off, making you gasp desparately for air!!! As if someone has their hands around your throat choking you!!!

My chest got sore and my voice had changed from gasping for air so many times!! What an aweful feeling!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Wow Corey - I'm so glad you went to the doctor. How very scary. Take care of yourself!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Yes, thank you!!

I NEVER want to have to go through that again!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Corey, I'm so glad you finally went to the doctor. So what meds are you on right now?

Oh, by the way, one thing you do NOT want to do when you CHF, is smoke. Smoking is a killer as is, with CHF, don't count on lasting too long. My mom had CHF and she smoked.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I stopped smoking over twelve years ago, so I don't have to worry about that at all.

But the docs told me that alcohol is also dangerous for people with CHF as well. It could send the heart back into a relapse.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

If you were on the blood thinners and seeing a doctor regularly then I do not understand why your atrial fibrillation wasn't being treated previously. It is the atrial fib that can cause the stroke--hence the coumadin.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I stopped smoking over twelve years ago, so I don't have to worry about that at all.

But the docs told me that alcohol is also dangerous for people with CHF as well. It could send the heart back into a relapse.
Even a glass of red wine a day? I thought that was supposed to be good for the heart?