"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-01-2016, 05:00 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Real butter is not that bad if consumed in moderation. Stay away from margarine though. I read that it is made from the same compounds as plastic.

http://www.kitchenchatters.com/
Kitchen Chatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Chatters View Post
Real butter is not that bad if consumed in moderation. Stay away from margarine though. I read that it is made from the same compounds as plastic.
Butter is made from animal fat. Margarine is made from vegetable oil (fat). Most plastics are made from petroleum. They are all organic compounds, but they are definitely not the same thing!

Old 06-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Raising my kids, margarine was often the choice due to cost. Then I started to buy butter. I have never gone back.

Margarine can be very difficult to bake with. Because of the high oil content, it tends to change the whole chemical structure of the recipe. If margarine is all a person can afford and wants to bake from scratch, I would suggest going to the site of the brand of margarine and look up recipes from their test kitchens. Some sites don't even have any recipes for baking, such as cakes, cookies, etc.

When making chocolate chip cookies, there is a vast difference. Those made with margarine will spread out to being real thin. Butter, they come out of the oven soft and chewy. You can not substitute margarine for real butter.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Butter is made from animal fat. Margarine is made from vegetable oil (fat). Most plastics are made from petroleum. They are all organic compounds, but they are definitely not the same thing!
+1
I couldn't have said it any better. Concise and accurate you are. Nice.
One more thing though, butter tastes much, much better than petroleum.

Oh, and for those who don't know, we are made from organic compounds as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Oh, and for those who don't know, we are made from organic compounds as well.
I forget stuff learnt in school. Isn't organic compounds a class of chemical compounds. I thought chemicals wuz bad for you.

I try not to jump on bandwagons. In general, I'm convinced monounsaturated fats are healthier than saturated fats. But I still buy butter. Store it in the freezer and move one stick at a time into the fridge where it lasts a long time. Use a lot more olive oil by comparison.

I also save and sparingly use fats from beef, chicken, pork, and bacon.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #26
Head Chef

Sometimes margarine works better than butter though. I have a family cookie recipe that has been made at Christmas for as long as I can remember. Ingredients are margarine, flour, chopped pecans, 10x sugar, vanilla and a bit of water. Shaped into balls, baked and then 2 rolls in 10x sugar. Got the bright idea 1 year after I stopped using margarine to make them with butter. Epic FAIL. They didn't keep shape and tasted nowhere near the same.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I forget stuff learnt in school. Isn't organic compounds a class of chemical compounds. I thought chemicals wuz bad for you.

I try not to jump on bandwagons. In general, I'm convinced monounsaturated fats are healthier than saturated fats. But I still buy butter. Store it in the freezer and move one stick at a time into the fridge where it lasts a long time. Use a lot more olive oil by comparison.

I also save and sparingly use fats from beef, chicken, pork, and bacon.
Organic means carbon based. We are a carbon based life form. And as far as chemicals are concerned, every substance on this planet, and in this universe is a chemical. Water is a chemical compound and has a couple of chemical names, i.e. dihydrogen oxide, water, and oxidane. In chemistry, it is known as a universal solvent as it dissolves most other chemicals, such as mercury, lead, iron, sulpher, etc. It also dissolves chemical compounds such as salt (sodium chloride), and potassium chloride, a different kind of salt.

Margarine is made from plant oils. It is bonded with hydrogen, hydrogenation, to transform it from a liquid to a solid.

The way I see it, the things made from nature are what our bodies were made to utilize. Things made by humans are imperfect because our knowledge is imperfect, and is tempered by the desire to make a profit from what we create, good or bad.

To sum this all up, keep the margarine and pass the butter please.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

I don't use any margarine at all these days and much prefer butter despite the cholesterol problem.
IMO there's a risk with everything we eat in one way and another so moderation in all things!

(Do wish I could remember that when I get a chocolate urge.. )
Old 06-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaline View Post
I don't use any margarine at all these days and much prefer butter despite the cholesterol problem.
IMO there's a risk with everything we eat in one way and another so moderation in all things!

Good news for you. They are finding some very interesting benefits to eating chocolate. Eat away!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaline View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
Good news for you. They are finding some very interesting benefits to eating chocolate. Eat away!
Since chocolate has cocoa butter, why don't we fry our eggs in melted Hershey bars?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butter