"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Since chocolate has cocoa butter, why don't we fry our eggs in melted Hershey bars?
That would give a whole new recipe at the least to Chocolate Eggs!

Old 06-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #32
Head Chef

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10868038_756683737758027_5427786147649668803_n.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	24854  

Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #33
Head Chef

I don't get the hate for margarine. I don't think that I've ever been in a household where it wasn't used for everyday, both for cooking and on the table. We always have a Country Crock in the fridge. People I know usually reserve butter for special dishes or occasions.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I don't get the hate for margarine. I don't think that I've ever been in a household where it wasn't used for everyday, both for cooking and on the table. We always have a Country Crock in the fridge. People I know usually reserve butter for special dishes or occasions.
My mother told me no one is more special than the members of your family. As a result once a week and special days we got to set the table with the best china, tablecloth and silverware. If they didn't get put away right after washing them, they got used again the next day.

I don't hate margarine, but I prefer food created naturally. Not a compound of chemicals. At the same time, I do understand the financial need for margarine. Butter can be very pricey. That is why I store up on it when it is on sale. One time Cabot Butter was actually cheaper than the house brand. My favorite brand of butter is Cabot's. I stocked up on it like the cows were going to close down any minute. I had more butter in my freezer than meat.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Dairy farmers in my family, always had butter, except for my younger years when Dad was a student at University. I don't use margarine because they are made with "vegetable" oils...many of those oils are inflammatory and wreck havoc with my arthritis.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #36
Master Chef

I've used butter for decades - I can't remember the last time I bought margarine. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for using it, though - heck, my youngest daughter always has a tub of Country Crock in the fridge and I'm not sure if she's ever bought butter.

It's not that I'm so much into 'natural' foods - I have pre-packaged foods in the pantry with the best of 'em. I just LOVE the taste of butter. IMO there's nothing better than a spread of slightly cool butter on a slice of warm freshly toasted bread. If I want oil there's a few kinds in my pantry, but for taste and texture it's just gotta be butter.

And butter isn't really THAT much more expensive than margarine, if you watch for the sales and stock up.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I've used butter for decades - I can't remember the last time I bought margarine. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for using it, though - heck, my youngest daughter always has a tub of Country Crock in the fridge and I'm not sure if she's ever bought butter.

It's not that I'm so much into 'natural' foods - I have pre-packaged foods in the pantry with the best of 'em. I just LOVE the taste of butter. IMO there's nothing better than a spread of slightly cool butter on a slice of warm freshly toasted bread. If I want oil there's a few kinds in my pantry, but for taste and texture it's just gotta be butter.

And butter isn't really THAT much more expensive than margarine, if you watch for the sales and stock up.
+1. I love butter and I'm worth it
Old 06-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

When I was on my own during and after my divorce, I switched back to butter. It has stayed with me through thick and thin.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:03 AM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
My parents became margarine users in the 30s and 40s. As a child in the 50s and 60s, I don't remember ever seeing butter in the house.

Among my parent's best friends was a wholesale margarine salesman. His wife refused to allow margarine in her house and would only use butter. Somehow that became a topic of conversation every time we ate at their house. I think they were the only people in my parent's circle of friends who didn't mostly or exclusively use margarine. It was one of the reasons they all said she was such an odd duck.

I moved out in the late 60s. Don't remember when I last bought margarine. Probably sometime in the 80's.
Neither margarine nor butter is healthy food. Butter is all saturated fat and margarine has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and possibly trans fat. I've never seen a butter ad that said our butter tastes almost as good as margarine.

I use less than 2 lbs. of butter a year. The rest of my fats are vegetable oils, mostly olive oil, or reserved animal fats.

Food used to be a cultural thing. We mostly liked what we were used to and grew up with. Nowadays, if we aren't careful, we like what the marketing people tell us to. They have become sneaky son of a guns. Deceptive misrepresentations of science are among their favorite tools.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:37 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Neither margarine nor butter is healthy food. Butter is all saturated fat and margarine has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and possibly trans fat. I've never seen a butter ad that said our butter tastes almost as good as margarine.

I use less than 2 lbs. of butter a year. The rest of my fats are vegetable oils, mostly olive oil, or reserved animal fats.

Food used to be a cultural thing. We mostly liked what we were used to and grew up with. Nowadays, if we aren't careful, we like what the marketing people tell us to. They have become sneaky son of a guns. Deceptive misrepresentations of science are among their favorite tools.
Butter is not all fat; it also contains water, protein, vitamins A and D and potassium. I'm not claiming it's a health food, but as with so many things, it's fine in moderation. I think your reserved animal fats are pretty much just fat, though.

I wrote a paper in college about the psychology of marketing. I'm not easily taken in by that

Tags
butter