"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Butter is not all fat; it also contains water, protein, vitamins A and D and potassium. I'm not claiming it's a health food, but as with so many things, it's fine in moderation. I think your reserved animal fats are pretty much just fat, though.

I wrote a paper in college about the psychology of marketing. I'm not easily taken in by that
Ah, but did you know that pork fat contains less cholesterol than does butter? Lard, of course is made from rendered pork fat.

And just so we keep things in perspective, cars are more deadly than either butter or animal fat. And I can't' prove it, but mosquitoes are probably more deadly as well. They are on my mind right now because my left wrist and arm are eaching like crazy due to those little buggers. One of the bites is right under my watch band and is irritated by it. With all of the bug bites you get every summer up here in the U.P., you'd think you would develop a resistance. I need to start eating more garlic. It helps keep the mosquitoes away, but not the black flies, no-see-ums, or deer flies. And they all just ignor bug spray.

Ok, eveyone can get back on topic now. I'm through ranting about biting bugs. At least I've not been attacked by horse flies yet.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief, get yourself an aloe plant. Break off a small piece, squeeze out the gel and the itching will stop immediately.

When I lived in Hawaii, Poo got some nasty skeeter bites and they became infected. His pediatrician recommended the aloe. Worked like a charm and the infections cleared up in 24 hours. After that Poo would take a piece off the plant right outside our door and take care of any bites on his own.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Chief, get yourself an aloe plant. Break off a small piece, squeeze out the gel and the itching will stop immediately.

When I lived in Hawaii, Poo got some nasty skeeter bites and they became infected. His pediatrician recommended the aloe. Worked like a charm and the infections cleared up in 24 hours. After that Poo would take a piece off the plant right outside our door and take care of any bites on his own.
I have 3 aloe plants, each of them very large. I never thought of using the juice for bug bites. I know it's good for burns. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My mother told me no one is more special than the members of your family. As a result once a week and special days we got to set the table with the best china, tablecloth and silverware. If they didn't get put away right after washing them, they got used again the next day.

I don't hate margarine, but I prefer food created naturally. Not a compound of chemicals. At the same time, I do understand the financial need for margarine. Butter can be very pricey. That is why I store up on it when it is on sale. One time Cabot Butter was actually cheaper than the house brand. My favorite brand of butter is Cabot's. I stocked up on it like the cows were going to close down any minute. I had more butter in my freezer than meat.
Butter is still created in a chemical lab. That the lab happens to be inside of a cow is just coincidence. Virtually everything you eat and drink is made up of various chemical compounds, even distilled water. Most of those are organic compounds, in the same class as gasoline, kerosene, asphalt, etc. After all, petroleum is mostly just organically repurposed plant and animal material.

Don't get me wrong, I use butter almost daily, but I also use margarine daily. I can't imagine my sunnyside up fried eggs cooked in anything but butter. Same when I do mushrooms sautéed in butter, garlic and white wine. I always keep a pound in the fridge, and another in the freezer for when the first one gets low.

But when I want a quick spread on bread or rolls, I'll grab the crock of soft, spreadable margarine.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Butter is still created in a chemical lab. That the lab happens to be inside of a cow is just coincidence. Virtually everything you eat and drink is made up of various chemical compounds, even distilled water. Most of those are organic compounds, in the same class as gasoline, kerosene, asphalt, etc. After all, petroleum is mostly just organically repurposed plant and animal material.
+1
Old 06-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Butter is still created in a chemical lab. That the lab happens to be inside of a cow is just coincidence. Virtually everything you eat and drink is made up of various chemical compounds, even distilled water. Most of those are organic compounds, in the same class as gasoline, kerosene, asphalt, etc. After all, petroleum is mostly just organically repurposed plant and animal material...

So the natural food movement is a complete waste of time because natural and man-made are all the same??

I'm not ready to make the leap. Margarine was touted as the healthy alternative to butter until health science caught up with the guys in the lab and realized trans fats are a no-no. Now many margarines are trans fat free but who knows what the next discovery about margarine will be?

I use butter over margarine exclusively because I like the way it tastes, cooks and bakes.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I have 3 aloe plants, each of them very large. I never thought of using the juice for bug bites. I know it's good for burns. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

You're welcome. It not only helps burns heal faster, it stops the pain almost immediately. There are times when Mother Nature knows best.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Must have butter for my chocolate chip cookies.
For a quickie cake, I used margarine because all my butter is frozen at the moment.
Saves me from making cookies which would just go to waist.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Butter may be made in a chemical lab where you are, but not where I live. It's still churned, and it still has the good and bad properties that it's always had. At least it doesn't have any of the the noxious ingredients that, say, maragine has, in my opinion. I go for the natural fats such as butter and olive oil. Sometimes sunflower oil. When I deep fry, I use half extra virgin olive oil and half organic sunflower oil. The results are excellent. But I always fry my eggs in butter, and you can't make a hollandaise sauce without butter, and neither can you make a decent cake without pure butter.And many other things besides, like a beurre blanc sauce. Like it or not, butter is indispensible in many classic recipes.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 06-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #50
Head Chef

Margarine most likely will last longer but butter tastes better.

Ancient, still-edible chunk of butter unearthed in Irish bog | Fox News

Tags
butter