"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #51
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Butter may be made in a chemical lab where you are, but not where I live. It's still churned, and it still has the good and bad properties that it's always had.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
So, butter doesn't come from cows where you are? Interesting!
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #52
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 311
As usual, a very lively and interesting debate! To me, using some of the oils available in the market of today would be like cooking with petrol (gasoline?)!! I rigourously stick to butter for certain dishes, mostly cold pressed olive oil, and 50% each extra virgin olive oil and best quality sunflower oil for deep frying, for which I only use the mix of oils once or twice, no more. My criterion for testing when the temperature of the oil for deep frying is ready to use I do by putting a small piece of bread into the oil, and time how long it takes to become crisp and golden. It should be 2 mins. no longer, then it's ready to use. I use extra virgin olive oil for cooking certain dishes, many of them Mediterranean, and butter for others and then sunflower oil for yet others (Anything from countries in Asia to China - probably wrong, but I have to go with what's available here). But in each and every case I look at the pedigree of the fat I'm intending to use, and I ALWAYS check the labels before buying - after all, it's an investment in your good health! - Just like your vegetable garden is!.

My basic rule of thumb is, never buy foods where you don't know the provenance or where the processing is highly industrial.

I might still have a heart attack one day in spite of all these efforts (and in my little book of necessary criteria), but at least I will have lived well in the meatime!


Great read, thanks for that

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I use butter in a different way
__________________

__________________
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #53
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ah, but did you know that pork fat contains less cholesterol than does butter? Lard, of course is made from rendered pork fat.
This fear of cholesterol is another one of those myths that just needs to go away. Dietary cholesterol does not contribute significantly to serum cholesterol. Period.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...terol-in-food/

The Diet-Heart Myth: Cholesterol and Saturated Fat Are Not the Enemy

I'll let you in on a little secret. For breakfast I eat about 30 eggs per week, always fried in bacon fat, butter, or lard. Most days I put cheese in my eggs and full fat cream in my coffee. Furthermore, I haven't eaten a single "heart healthy whole grain" in many moons. According to everything we've been told, I should have keeled over a long time ago.

Guess what? I've been eating this way for almost 2 years now, and my cholesterol (which was never really high to begin with) has actually improved. In fact, my lipid profile is better now than it was back in 1988, when I was 28 years old.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #54
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 311
Just goes to show that animal fats aren't as people think they are. I like your argument, but I think you must be young. My husband and I are in our seventies and diet is crucial to our well being. You too will get there one day and when you do, you'll realise how important diet is. Everyone has his own perspective on daily life and what it is.!!

Wishing you all the best

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
__________________
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #55
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Just goes to show that animal fats aren't as people think they are. I like your argument, but I think you must be young. My husband and I are in our seventies and diet is crucial to our well being. You too will get there one day and when you do, you'll realise how important diet is. Everyone has his own perspective on daily life and what it is.!!
Thanks, but don't patronize me. I don't appreciate it.

I'm 56, so I'm not that young. And I absolutely realize how important diet is. I've lost 100 lbs and reversed my diabetes by eating the kinds of foods that people have eaten for thousands of years, long before the so-called "experts" came along and said we were doing it all wrong. You're welcome to eat however you like, but I fully believe that much of what we've been told for the last 50 years is utter nonsense, and the medical community is only now beginning to realize it.

At the same time, I believe there is no one-size-fits-all diet that works equally well for everyone. But this one works for me.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #56
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 311
Apologies to all for coming over as patronizing - it really wasn't intended at all. I have great respect for all of you, you're all really great in my eyes, and all I was doing was lamenting the fact that now I'm past my best, I can't do the things I used to do without thinking twice about it. Even maintaining the vegetable garden is difficult, but I can still cook, even though both I and my OH are supposed to do the diet that the doctor tells us to stick to. I have to say, however, that the Mediterranean diet really is healthy, and I put it down to that that I don't have wrinkles yet. There's an English saying: a little of what you fancy does you good. As for me, I frequently go 'off piste' as the French say. Now look how many 'I's' have been used in this post - 'I' this, 'I' that - but what really interests me is what YOU all have to say, because there's always a lot more you can learn!

Humbly, di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
__________________
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #57
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Stumbled across this today.

https://munchies.vice.com/en/article...ay-for-decades

The article behind the article:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0412211335.htm

While the article also states that "butter might not be a health food" I feel like it's only a matter of time before research will indicate otherwise.

I'll continue to enjoy it (along with lard) in the meantime. I don't need research to prove that butter definitely makes me feel better.
The "butter isn't as bad for you as you thought" theory has been going the rounds over here for quite some time. It stands to reason it has to be, compared with the mish-mash of chemicals listed on the side of your average pack of margarine (oops "healthy spread"). All butter is is cream and a sometimes bit of salt.

Admittedly, if we consume huge quantities of it it won't do us a lot of good but "a little of what you fancy does you good" as the rather naughty, Edwardian singing comedian, Marie Lloyd, used to sing.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #58
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Apologies to all for coming over as patronizing - it really wasn't intended at all. I have great respect for all of you, you're all really great in my eyes, and all I was doing was lamenting the fact that now I'm past my best, I can't do the things I used to do without thinking twice about it. Even maintaining the vegetable garden is difficult, but I can still cook, even though both I and my OH are supposed to do the diet that the doctor tells us to stick to. I have to say, however, that the Mediterranean diet really is healthy, and I put it down to that that I don't have wrinkles yet. There's an English saying: a little of what you fancy does you good. As for me, I frequently go 'off piste' as the French say. Now look how many 'I's' have been used in this post - 'I' this, 'I' that - but what really interests me is what YOU all have to say, because there's always a lot more you can learn!

Humbly, di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
You absolutely do not owe me an apology. I did not feel you were being patronizing to anyone. I wrote a reply to that effect last night but mistakenly didn't submit it the interest of harmony. Given a choice between following the consensus advice of the medical community or the zealotry that arises over this or that diet craze, I'd go with the Doctor every time.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #59
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie;1468576[B
]My mother told me no one is more special than the members of your family. [/B]As a result once a week and special days we got to set the table with the best china, tablecloth and silverware. If they didn't get put away right after washing them, they got used again the next day.

I don't hate margarine, but I prefer food created naturally. Not a compound of chemicals. At the same time, I do understand the financial need for margarine. Butter can be very pricey. That is why I store up on it when it is on sale. One time Cabot Butter was actually cheaper than the house brand. My favorite brand of butter is Cabot's. I stocked up on it like the cows were going to close down any minute. I had more butter in my freezer than meat.
Here, here, Addie.

I can't remember when I last bought "marge" and we never ate it on bread when I was a little girl despite being on the tail-end of post-war rationing. "Marge" was reserved for baking (usually "Stork" margarine which was marketed in the '50s and '60s as having 10% butter in it) as it was supposed to make the best cakes (more advertising hype even back then).

I almost always bake with butter now as the flavour is better than margarine. Let's face it cake isn't the most healthy food in the world anyway but a little isn't going to kill us on the spot.

When I was very little and I banged my head a little dab of butter was rubbed on the sore part by Grandma - I was convinced that it made me feel better. Even worse was my Aunt who soothed all upsets, whether physical or emotional, with the corner cut off a "tin" loaf of bread and slathered with butter and dipped in sugar! I should be dead but I'm 67 and, in my doctor's words, "disgustingly healthy!
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #60
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,708
Both absorb odors. Before I covered my butter dish, I wondered why my buttered toast tasted strange.
__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.