"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #31
Master Chef

I use them all, each for its own purpose. My husband likes Brummel & Brown, purportedly a yogurt based margarine, for toast & such. For sauteeing and stir frying, I use the oils best suited to the cuisine. Extra virgin olive oil is my mainstay for most European type cooking. Butter, sometimes in combination with oil (helps to keep it from burning). Peanut oil for stir fries. Regular vegetable or canola oil for things like spring rolls. I don't fry that much, so aside from the olive oil (which I use most often) and butter (which freezes well) I buy the least amount I can so it doesn't go rancid. I've only had that happen once, and almost didn't catch it because I was having olfactory issues. My husband came in and rescued me from ruining several hours of painstaking made nege maki I was about to saute!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #32
Head Chef

Margarine is the devil's earwax. Yuck.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Margarine is the devil's earwax. Yuck.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #34
Executive Chef

I haven't purchased margarine in at least 30 years. I use peanut oil for stir-frying, canola oil for deep frying, olive oil for sautéing, and butter mostly as a spread, although I do cook eggs in it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Stay away from margarine, always use olive oil or hemp/rapeseed. I would always choose butter over anything to be honest.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #36
Head Chef

To lazy to read all of this....

What's wrong with margarine? I know butter is better flavor and usually I cook with butter but I scramble my eggs in margarine. I don't like the butter flavor in my eggs...
Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #37
Master Chef

margerine is defintely is at botom of the list.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post

What's wrong with margarine? I know butter is better flavor and usually I cook with butter but I scramble my eggs in margarine. I don't like the butter flavor in my eggs...
For me it is that stick margarine still has trans fats unless you buy the smart balance or something like that, and those are expensive, more so than store brand butter most of the time. Also I don't like using "tub" margarine in cooking since it usually has a lot of water and other things in it.

I do keep a non-hydrogenated tub margarine in the house, because it is easy to spread right out of the fridge, so convenient. I only use the stuff on rolls, biscuits and toast.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post

I've read lots of very scary facts on how awful margarine is for you. You should have a read up on the stuff. It's what my friend calls frankenstein food, and he's quite right when you read up on what it contains.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
For me it is that stick margarine still has trans fats unless you buy the smart balance or something like that, and those are expensive, more so than store brand butter most of the time. Also I don't like using "tub" margarine in cooking since it usually has a lot of water and other things in it.

I do keep a non-hydrogenated tub margarine in the house, because it is easy to spread right out of the fridge, so convenient. I only use the stuff on rolls, biscuits and toast.
You keep your butter in the refrigerator? Why? Butter doesn't see refrigeration anywhere between the manufacturer and the retailer, and even the retailers have been known to leave it sitting on a pallet in the storage area for hours, sometimes days. I buy my butter in a 3 pound package, and I keep one stick in a butter keeper in my pantry, the remaining sticks from one pound in the door of the fridge, and the extra pounds in the freezer.

Tags
butter, oil