Calculating Sodium Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
DH was recently diagnosed with Liver disease and has been put on a restricted sodium diet. I made pot roast today in the crock pot and used 1 cup of beef broth with a jar of my own tomatoes that I know are low in sodium as cooking liquid (I didn't make gravy).

Here's my question ... how much sodium is absorbed by a food during cooking? If I cook with something that has 100mg of sodium, does the food then take on the 100mg? 50mg? I'm guessing meat is different than say pasta which actually absorbs the liquid.

Thoughts? Just wondering how to calculate sodium for meals like this.

I think you need a dietician to answer that. Maybe Ezil, who is a dietician student knows and will chime in.

You will have to guess on that one. Meat is muscle, if the sodium concentration on the outside is higher it will move by osmosis into the cells of the roast until it balances out, but only on the outside of the roast for about 1/4 inch or less. This is the nature of sodium (and countless other substances). Ask DH's doctor for a dietician consult and both of you go.

When people are diagnosed with serious diseases, their needs can change drastically.

Very true, I am salt sensitive, makes my blood pressure shoot right up. Doesn't stop me from having a treat now and then...but I am aware and drink more water.

To much salt has been my nemesis for a long time. Too much salt and my ankles swell.

I really hate that and often will stop eating something when I get the too salty taste.

I have found that vitamin B12 will help ease the swelling.

To much salt has been my nemesis for a long time. Too much salt and my ankles swell.

I really hate that and often will stop eating something when I get the too salty taste.

I have found that vitamin B12 will help ease the swelling.

-I sometimes get that swelling also and suspected a deficiency of something else rather than blaming salt entirely. When I wasn't adding salt to my food; I got serious throat infections about yearly. -Not one since. I won't take vitamin supplements (too much silicon dioxide explains a lot of disease, and isolated / man made nutrients are more poison than help). I will consider food sources of B12. -Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
-I sometimes get that swelling also and suspected a deficiency of something else rather than blaming salt entirely. When I wasn't adding salt to my food; I got serious throat infections about yearly. -Not one since. I won't take vitamin supplements (too much silicon dioxide explains a lot of disease, and isolated / man made nutrients are more poison than help). I will consider food sources of B12. -Thanks for the tip!

I like B12. There are many varieties to choose from. I prefer the ones from Germany, Holland and Belgium.:angel:

I didn't know there were different versions. How can you tell which are which? I'm not really satisfied with what I can get easily. It's Spring Valley, timed release 1000 mg.

Oh sure. Here are some examples of brand names.

Germany - Becks
Belgium - Stella Artois
Holland - Heineken

:angel:

On the contrary, the original poster was directed to talk to a dietician by a practicing RN, since then it's just been chatter about how salt/sodium effects all of us.

On the contrary, the original poster was directed to talk to a dietician by a practicing RN, since then it's just been chatter about how salt/sodium effects all of us.

And I did :) but didn't get a real firm answer. She recommended that I still calculate what the original liquid contained and record that as different meats and foods absorb differently. It wasn't long after my original post, though, that the situation changed. Still good information though.

Not sure whether you have them over there but we have products such as Lo-Salt which is based on potassium rather than sodium. Might be worth hunting them out (but ask the doctor first).

Just checked Lo-salt is available in USA but there may be other similar products.

Something a lot of people overlook when trying to cut down on sodium is bottled mineral water. Check the analyses of the brands first if buying it

Back
Top Bottom