"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I've done the dry top Raman thing since I was nine.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I usually go by the uncooked information, because I rarely prepare the meal exactly the way the box says. As Claire just said, I had a box of mac and cheese tonight (blech - but that's all I had) and they called for skim milk, which I don't drink cause again, blech : P I guess they do that to bring the overall number down.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I don't know about anyone else... but I am usually pretty aware of serving sizes and calorie counts of most food that I eat. However, if it be something that I am really craving, it rarely stops me from eating it.

I noticed on a couple of items that it has 2 counts.... for instance, on popcorn..... It has a count for unpopped and a count for prepared. What is that? Do folks actually eat the unpopped popcorn out of the bag? Why list it for both prepared and unprepared? Which one do you use in trying to figure out calorie intake? I noticed Mac and Cheese has the same thing.... I don't eat the stuff myself, but are there people that will dump this stuff out of the box and sprinkle the dry cheese on it and then enjoy????

If anyone knows, please, fill me in on the big secret!!!
Not sure what kind of popcorn your purchasing, but I dont do the microwave versions, I just buy a bag of kernals, throw some in a pot with a tiny bit of canola, put the lid on and let it pop, then throw that in a bowl, then add butter or margarine to the pop and pour it on, with a tiny bit of salt.