"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I've really enjoyed The Abs Diet by David Zinczeno.

It's the basic mesage they all give you. Eat smaller meals more often. Eat whole grains, fruit veggies, lean protein. Don't eat processed junk....exercise...

Old 01-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Wow, there are a lot of good books on healthy eating out there. Have you been to Barnes & Noble or your trainer? They might have some recommendations. Make sure though that whatever book you get they have a balance of carbs and proteins for each recipe.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Senior Cook

China Study

The China Study is a book that shows tons of scientific data on large populations over decades of time. The technical research shows how unhealthy a western diet is for anyone. It makes a very compelling case that our heavy use of dairy and meat is making us sick. MDW just got done reading it and it was a book she couldn't put down. Definitely a must read book.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I agree, you should probably find a healthy eating guide first, cookbook second. I recall learning quite a bit from the original anti-inflammation book (by Jack someone, sorry, can't remember at the moment).

Once you get the basics down, you might want to venture books that focus on whole foods.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyeating View Post
I am interesten in the topic of healthy eating and living, and I am writing a blog on the topic, but I need some more info on nutrients and health in general. I started the blog to help me live healthier and to help others, while I learn. Soo.. Does anybody know of any good health books?
Here's a list of nutrition books by the American Dietetic Association: Nutrition and Lifestyle

I bought the ADA Food and Nutrition Guide years ago - it's packed with great information.

Another helpful site is The World's Healthiest Foods.

Check the footnotes on the individual pages for more resources. HTH.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Mark Bittmans new book is good, and so is Ellie Kriegers book, I love all things cooking light.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #17
Master Chef

I think that the best type of book you can get to help you to a healthier eating style is to find a good comprehensive book that gives nutritional information on a lot of different foods. I used to have a web site to look these things up, but recently they started to charge membership fees. Nope, too many people have my credit card # already. But remember, and I cannot say it enough, every body is different. For some, losing weight is a priority. Some have diabetic issues. Some heart disease issues. As the king said, etc & etc & etc. When you have multiple health issues, you sometimes have to decide which takes priority, or you won't get to eat at all, much less enjoy food. So a good source of nutritional counts, after a visit to your doctor to ascertain what your nutritional needs are, is primary.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #18
Senior Cook

"The Eat-Clean Diet" and the "The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook" both by Tosca Reno (They are not "diet book", it teaches you about eating the way we should and has recipes in it. I think there is also a 'Eat Clean Recipe Book').
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite
by David Kessler
amazon.com/End-Overeating-Insatiable-American-Appetite/dp/1605297852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241132156&sr=1-1

It is by the head of the FDA, David Kessler, and warns of the dangers of mixing high concentrates of sugar, fat & salt and the neuro-paths which are created in our brain from the unhealthy combination. Not a cookbook, but sincerely recommended! If every American were aware, I'm sure at least some of the obisity problem would swell, education is the first step..

-peace
Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

College Bookstore

A college bookstore could be the best place for finding a book on nutrition. You don't have to be a student to buy them. Just ask at the desk for their nutrition class section and which one they have for the beginning nutrition classes. Get the background first and then you are better prepared to find a cookbook that works for you.