"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can anyone recommend any good books on healthy eating?

I am interesten in the topic of healthy eating and living, and I am writing a blog on the topic, but I need some more info on nutrients and health in general. I started the blog to help me live healthier and to help others, while I learn. Soo.. Does anybody know of any good health books?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Everymom

I sort of live by the Canada Food Guide. I think its called the Food Pyramid in the US

Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Here's a really good one:

Amazon.co.uk: Gillian McKeith's Food Bible: The Complete A-Z Guide to a Healthy Life: Gillian McKeith: Books
Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I find "Fresh Choices" by David Joachim and Rochelle Davis really useful. Not only are there tasty and easy recipes, but it explains why some foods are better choices than others, and what subs to make when what you really want (or should have) is out of season.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Head Chef

As a caregiver of two elderly parents, one now deceased, I had to take nutrition classes for both a heart healthy and diabetic diet. Overall, either diet is good for you if you don't have other food allergies. The difference is the number of carbs that someone can eat at a meal. There are lots of cookbooks by the American Heart Association and the American Diabetic Association. In fact, there is a wonderful dessert cookbook written by two doctors, one of which is a cardiologist: The New Dr. Cookie Cookbook: Dessert Your Way to Health with More Than 150 Delicious Low-Fat Cookies, Cakes, and Treats (Paperback) by Dr. Marvin A. Wayne and Stephen R. Yarnall. I especially like their version of mandel bread with mini chocolate chips.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Here are 5 top healthy eating books:
1. The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
2. Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink
3. You: On a Diet by Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz
4. Our Lady of Weight Loss by Janice Taylor
5. The Best Light Recipe by the Editors of Cook's Illustrated
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

The omnivores by michael pollan
Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
Cook

Not sure about "healthy eating" books, but for recipes with less guilt attached I like the Best of Cooking Light book. A lot of their recipes are also aimed at including more veggies, and a lot of the desserts are fruit-based.

Although it probably doesn't help that even in those recipes, I still use full fat dairy ;)
Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I picked up a Betty Crocker Cookbook at Sam's. I will have to look at the exact name. It is bright red, and pretty thick. It has great conversions and list recipes by low fat, low sodium, quick meals, etc. Have been really happy with it. My wife was put on LF & LS diet. I was running out of ideas after about 6 weeks. She has tried several diets before and eventually got off of them. Got her cholesterol from 297 to 165 in a month. She has lost 50 lbs so far, and still happy with her diet.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Cook

If you are looking for a guide on nutrition and diet, you probably aren't looking for a cookbook. One of the most informative books that I have found is "Total Nutrition:The Only Guide You'll Ever Need" from The Mount Sinai School Of Medicine. It covers in depth studies and analysis of everything involved with food, from selection, diet make up, full explanations of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, sugar and salt, just about every kind of diet for every kind of condition. It's probably the most significant book in my cooking library.