"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2019, 04:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can Food Help Quit Smoking?

Hi forum members!

I have a quite strange question: can food help quit smoking? After I found out my son started smoking I've been looking for additional information on quitting. Sure, he doesn't want even to hear about it. But yesterday, I found an article on VapingDaily which says there are foods that may help alleviate cigarette cravings or even make the taste of cigarettes repulsive even for the most avid of smokers. For example, drinking milk prior to smoking makes cigarettes taste unappealing and potato chips, salted nuts, or popcorn with loads of salt and real butter, salty snacks have shown to reduce nicotine and tobacco cravings.

Have you ever heard of this? Or maybe you have such experience? I'd be very appreciated for any advice!

Lisa445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Smoking is an addiction. If he doesn't want to quit he won't and no food will help - if it doesn't agree with his smoking he just won't eat them.

I'm truly sorry there is no quick and easy answer.

Also please be keep in mind that often an addict (of anything!) never really gets rid of their addiction - they just change it for an addiction to something else.

You don't want to switch your addiction from one thing that is bad for you to another which could be just as bad in another way.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! I hope for you he will quit before he becomes truly addicted.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I smoked cigarettes for over 40 years. Quit a couple times but always went back to smoking. Patches, gum and Zyban did nothing to help.
I had heard about a medication that helped people quit. So I brought it up with my doctor. He had a coupon for a month supply for free. The drug was Chantix.

There were some unpleasant side effects like vivid dreams and my wife said I was very grouchy. But I took the medicine as prescribed on the packaging and within three weeks I was wondering how I was going to smoke the rest of the carton I bought.

By the time my last week arrived, smoking had become a chore. A nuisance. Something almost foreign. It had become as if I had never smoked before. It just became something others did. I have not had one cigarette in 10 years.
I have never had any urge and there are no triggers. Other people smoking does not bother me at all.

If your son is an adult. He may want to consider this approach. It worked for me.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Roll Bones, I too smoked for 45 years, it has been 15 years since I quit. But I don't think that matters when it comes to quitting - you still have to want to.

Chantix wasn't around at the time. My daughter has used it and has had her ups and downs with it. She does still recommends it. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If you give a smoker foods that make smoking less enjoyable, they will stop eating those foods so they can continue to smoke.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi !!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I was addicted to smoking for most of my adult life until I quit 8 years ago. If someone is addicted there is no food that will help with the addiction. That's really a prime example of junk science.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you give a smoker foods that make smoking less enjoyable, they will stop eating those foods so they can continue to smoke.
Yep.
Linda0818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Head Chef

Food help me stop, a night on the drink and then I went home and ate a packet of cashew nuts, didn't chew properly and part of the nut nicked a hole in my oesophagus, ruptured it resulting in a life saving operation. 10 days in a coma. Never wanted to smoke again. That was 13 years ago. Prior I was 40 a day.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Food help me stop, a night on the drink and then I went home and ate a packet of cashew nuts, didn't chew properly and part of the nut nicked a hole in my oesophagus, ruptured it resulting in a life saving operation. 10 days in a coma. Never wanted to smoke again. That was 13 years ago. Prior I was 40 a day.

Russ
Ouchie. I think that would make me want to stop drinking as well.

Glad you were able to quit smoking. I can tell you right now that's a habit I wish I had never started.

Linda0818 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
food