CDC study finds kale 15th on the list of most nutrient-dense foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the lettuces I've grown become bitter when they start to flower. It doesn't happen once they're picked, so if you buy them, you don't have to worry about it.

I've never grown lettuce, but if I ever do, I'll keep that in mind.

While I like romaine lettuce, I'm still an iceberg junkie. I know, I know, everybody says "Why do eat that? There's no nutritional value."

No, not a lot, but it's not completely void. And anyway, I LOVE iceberg lettuce. The smell, the taste, etc.

I've never grown lettuce, but if I ever do, I'll keep that in mind.

While I like romaine lettuce, I'm still an iceberg junkie. I know, I know, everybody says "Why do eat that? There's no nutritional value."

No, not a lot, but it's not completely void. And anyway, I LOVE iceberg lettuce. The smell, the taste, etc.

I love both romaine and iceberg. Iceberg is very refreshing. It is a good hot summer day lettuce. I really like to toss romaine on a hot grill for a very fast char. It is still crunchy, but that char gives it a new depth of flavor.

CD

I love both romaine and iceberg. Iceberg is very refreshing. It is a good hot summer day lettuce. I really like to toss romaine on a hot grill for a very fast char. It is still crunchy, but that char gives it a new depth of flavor.

CD

It's definitely refreshing.

Your comment about grilling romaine reminds me of a Kitchen Nightmares episode where Gordon Ramsay sees "Grilled Caesar Salad" on the menu and said "You actually grill romaine lettuce?" He'd never heard of that before :LOL:

I love grilled romaine.

It's definitely refreshing.

Your comment about grilling romaine reminds me of a Kitchen Nightmares episode where Gordon Ramsay sees "Grilled Caesar Salad" on the menu and said "You actually grill romaine lettuce?" He'd never heard of that before :LOL:

I love grilled romaine.

Gordon Ramsey needs to tend to his own restaurants, instead of his gigantic ego. I ate at one of his restaurants, and the food sucked.

CD

Iceberg fan here, too. It's a nice summer green.

...100 calories of lettuce is almost seven cups...No one eats that much lettuce at a single sitting, so serving size would give a better comparison...
Have you not noticed how large some of our salads are? :ROFLMAO: OK, maybe not SEVEN cups, but there are times I think that there are probably three.

...I don't think the study is all that useful.
I didn't think it was really useful, but I thought it was funny that the revered kale checked in so low. In our house, the expression "kale no" is used like swear words. :LOL:

Have you not noticed how large some of our salads are? :ROFLMAO: OK, maybe not SEVEN cups, but there are times I think that there are probably three.

Oh yeah! [emoji16] Y'all eat well, for sure!

I didn't think it was really useful, but I thought it was funny that the revered kale checked in so low. In our house, the expression "kale no" is used like swear words. [emoji38]

It makes for an interesting discussion. I'm not a fan of kale, either, and I don't get the fascination people have with it. Apparently you have to "massage" it to make it palatable raw and sorry but I ain't massaging my food :ROFLMAO:

No bitter greens in my house.

I travel a lot, and restaurants that put calorie counts on their menus show most salads to be well over 1,000 calories. 1,300 to 1,500 calories is not unusual.

CD

Gordon Ramsey needs to tend to his own restaurants, instead of his gigantic ego. I ate at one of his restaurants, and the food sucked.

CD

Awww, haha, that's a bummer. I love Gordon. Been a big fan of his for a good while, but I don't like his cooking shows. I just like Kitchen Nightmares and Hotel Hell.

I travel a lot, and restaurants that put calorie counts on their menus show most salads to be well over 1,000 calories. 1,300 to 1,500 calories is not unusual.

CD
That's because of fatty toppings and usually creamy dressings - fats have almost twice the calories of protein and carbs. Homemade salads may or may not include that stuff.

That's because of fatty toppings and usually creamy dressings - fats have almost twice the calories of protein and carbs. Homemade salads may or may not include that stuff.

I'm guessing it is not just fats, but also sugars. Restaurants know the almost addictive power of sugars, and use them. Fats, salt and sugars are staples of the restaurant industry.

CD

I'm guessing it is not just fats, but also sugars. Restaurants know the almost addictive power of sugars, and use them. Fats, salt and sugars are staples of the restaurant industry.

CD
Sugars are carbs and salt has no calories. Yes, they're part of the equation, but not the primary source of calories, which is what you were talking about.

CD
And I make my salad at home. Trust me, our salads don't approach 1000 calories. I'd have to add tons of cheese, bacon, and dressing, but I don't like it when my lettuce can do the backstroke.

And I make my salad at home. Trust me, our salads don't approach 1000 calories. I'd have to add tons of cheese, bacon, and dressing, but I don't like it when my lettuce can do the backstroke.

I do the same. In fact I just put together a salad to take for lunch tomorrow. Chopped iceberg, thin-sliced red onion, salad shrimp, a sliced hard-boiled egg and it will also have diced fresh tomato from the local farm market and diced avocado. But not until I go to actually eat it. I don't like cold tomatoes and I can't slice the avocado now because it will be brown by tomorrow. So I take the tomato and the avocado with me to work and add it when I'm ready to eat.

I don't like my salads swimming in dressing either. I like just enough to taste. Sometimes I like a small amount of bacon, but I never add cheese to my salads. All it does it add more fat and calories and I never miss it, so I don't use it.

Sugars are carbs and salt has no calories. Yes, they're part of the equation, but not the primary source of calories, which is what you were talking about.

The calories in sugars (simple carbs) are stored as fat, instead of being used for nutrition like complex carbohydrates, like you find in vegetables and whole grains.

As for salt, forget the calories, excessive amounts of salt is bad for you. Salt also makes you want to eat more. That effects your calorie intake.

CD

Sometimes I like a small amount of bacon, but I never add cheese to my salads. All it does it add more fat and calories and I never miss it, so I don't use it.

Don't forget that cheese contains a lot of protein and calcium in an easily absorbable form. It's not just fat and a couple tablespoons is not a ton of calories.

When I make a salad at home, I am happy with a dressing of EVOO, vinegar, and some black pepper.

CD

Don't forget that cheese contains a lot of protein and calcium in an easily absorbable form. It's not just fat and a couple tablespoons is not a ton of calories.

I know :)

But truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of cheese. So I don't find it necessary to add it to... well, pretty much anything. I like Swiss cheese in pita sandwiches and that sort of thing, but even when I order tacos from a restaurant, I tell them "no cheese." Pizza included, I don't add a lot of cheese.

So yeah :angel:

I know [emoji2]

But truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of cheese. So I don't find it necessary to add it to... well, pretty much anything. I like Swiss cheese in pita sandwiches and that sort of thing, but even when I order tacos from a restaurant, I tell them "no cheese." Pizza included, I don't add a lot of cheese.

So yeah :angel:
Well, that's a different story [emoji38]

Back
Top Bottom