CDC study finds kale 15th on the list of most nutrient-dense foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This study wasn't to figure out what fruits and veg are best for you. That's why it isn't useful to consumers, as is. It's for nutrition scientists. They were working out a classification scheme for foods.

As I wrote before:

The purpose of this study was to come up with a classification scheme for "powerhouse fruits and vegetables" based on nutrient and phytochemical constituents.

"This article describes a classification scheme defining PFV on the basis of 17 nutrients of public health importance per the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and Institute of Medicine (ie, potassium, fiber, protein, calcium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, zinc, and vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E, and K)"

My normal belief is that the more vibrant and darker the fruit/vegetable, the better they are for our bodies.

I'm on it.

We've recently been feasting on dark cherries and gobble them up like candy.

Why does this remind me of The Witches of Eastwick? :LOL:

But yeah, I love those things. I bought a bag of Rainier cherries last week and took them into work and we sat there munching on them all day. But the dark ones, I'm assuming, are probably more nutrient-packed. I'd have to look that up.

Another fruit I can pop like candy is blackberries. I enjoy blueberries as well, but blackberries are a favorite of mine. In fact, I'm enjoying a glass of blackberry wine right now.

What....NO pizza? That's just not right!:ohmy:

No, I like pizza. I just like veggie pizzas. Rarely do I ever get meat on a pizza, unless it's ham on a Hawaiian.

Speaking of pizza and vegetables and all that, I've discovered cauliflower pizza crusts. I buy the plain crusts and make my own pizza and they're so amazing.

If you are interested in vitamins, minerals, actual types of proteins, types of fats, carbs, sugars, fiber, in your food, the chronometer is a free app and will estimate those for each food for you.
It won't measure the antioxidants or flavinols or any number of the other good things food has. It's a shame that it doesn't. Considering there are thousands of those types of things in food, it's not really practical.

If you are interested in boosting your antioxidants, you already know to eat all the colors of the rainbow in your vegetables and fruit. Spices and teas are full of them too. At the top of the list is dried ground gooseberries, also called amla, for the most antioxidants anywhere.

https://cronometer.com/

Katie H said: "My normal belief is that the more vibrant and darker the fruit/vegetable, the better they are for our bodies."

Us, too. And so we ate the rainbow tonight.
IMG_20190717_222244049.jpg

If you are interested in vitamins, minerals, actual types of proteins, types of fats, carbs, sugars, fiber, in your food, the chronometer is a free app and will estimate those for each food for you.
It won't measure the antioxidants or flavinols or any number of the other good things food has. It's a shame that it doesn't. Considering there are thousands of those types of things in food, it's not really practical.

If you are interested in boosting your antioxidants, you already know to eat all the colors of the rainbow in your vegetables and fruit. Spices and teas are full of them too. At the top of the list is dried ground gooseberries, also called amla, for the most antioxidants anywhere.

Yes, very interested in this. Thanks for sharing.

Katie H said: "My normal belief is that the more vibrant and darker the fruit/vegetable, the better they are for our bodies."

Us, too. And so we ate the rainbow tonight.
View attachment 35657

Very beautiful. I love eating like that. It makes you feel good, from the inside out. I'm looking forward to my salad today for lunch.

Seafood also makes me feel good eating it. Think I'll have some salmon over the weekend.

I like iceberg on sandwiches (for the crunch) and for tacos. I like mixed baby greens, escarole and arugala for salads (I like the sweet and bitter combo of the mix) and if I have any iceberg I sometimes add to the other greens also for the crunch.

Trackers like this are helpful hints, but they track what's in the food you eat and not how much of each nutrient is absorbed.

Trackers like this are helpful hints, but they track what's in the food you eat and not how much of each nutrient is absorbed.

GG, What system, application, or program are you using to track exactly how much of each nutrient is absorbed?

If been using Cronometer for a couple of years and it is the most effective tool of its type that I've come across so far but would be open to a better way if you have one.

GG, What system, application, or program are you using to track exactly how much of each nutrient is absorbed?

If been using Cronometer for a couple of years and it is the most effective tool of its type that I've come across so far but would be open to a better way if you have one.
For medical reasons, I have my blood tested every two weeks for a variety of nutrients. There is no other way. It doesn't tell you exactly how much is absorbed - I don't know of any way to do that - but it tells you whether you're deficient and if so, by how much.

Also for medical reasons, I can't eat a lot of fiber due to an increased risk of intestinal blockage, so what I eat is not relevant to what most other people can eat. Along the way, though, I've made it a priority to learn as much as I can about nutrition and how digestion works, and the chemistry of making nutrients more bioavailable. That's more for my husband's benefit than mine.

Most people in Western countries who are relatively healthy and don't eat a lot of junk food get all the nutrients they need, and more. If you have a documented deficiency, and you need to supplement it, you need to know how to release as much as possible from your food, like cooking spinach to absorb more iron and to eat it with something that contains vitamin C.

Last edited:
how to release as much as possible from your food, like cooking spinach to absorb more iron and to eat it with something that contains vitamin C.

I knew tomatoes were often more nutritionally better when cooked but I did not know about spinach! Thanks GG!

I eat a fair amount of spinach. During the summer it is often in salads or as a replacement for lettuce type stuff in sandwiches. Winter I cook it more often.
LOL - and as much as I like it (include asparagus) I'm supposed to limit it - good ol'gout and arthritis rear their ugly heads.

Does "wilting" it between something and hot eggs count as "cooking"?

GG, I had to learn a little about the ability or lack of ability of plants to access "available" nutrients under certain conditions and it is a complicated question when focused on basil. How much more so it must be for a human. So I satisfy myself with making sure I'm eating sufficient quantities of a wide enough variety to get to 95% or so. It's interesting and rewarding to be able to see those numbers and the specific sources of particular nutrients on a given day.

Back
Top Bottom