"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aww, poor little guy. Almond butter is super easy to make, you just need a good food processor. Same with processing your own baby food from fresh produce. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If you are interested, Cuisinart makes a mini food processor. It's about $40. I have a much older model than the one shown in the link, but it comes in handy for small batches of lots of things. You might want to get one to use for just the foods that your son does not have allergies to. Good luck in whatever you do. It must be hard on the entire family.
1. I have an old mini cuisinart (maybe 5 years old) that's just sitting around. If you want it, just let me know. Works great and I did use it but got gifted a new one for Xmas

2. If he can eat rice that might a good alternative. Esp brown rice. Much healthier than potatoes.

Asian rice noodles and wrappers are dirt cheap and versatile.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #13
Senior Cook

We have a food processor but hes eating more solid foods now that he has teeth. he does like rice. Eats a banana or 2 a day. When he does eat baby food this is his absolute favorite, http://www.diapers.com/p/earths-best...-3-5-oz-769055 HE will suck down 3 in less than 2 minutes. We get thense for when we are in the car. I was trying to figure out how to make them myself. We are kind of out in the middle of nowhere. The nearest wal-mart is an hour away. Omaha is 2 hours away. Thats where his allergist is and the nearest Whole Foods. Small town grocers don't carry much he can have. Finally got them to get almond milk in.
HE loves Wimmers all beef hotdogs. They are a local brand. Unfortunately a big company (Land O, Frost) bought them out and we found out yesterday they are shutting the plant down. So, We will be boycotting them. Darn it. HE can have Hebrew national hotdogs. Havent tried them yet but we will have to shortly. I had no idea so many hot dogs had chicken by products in them.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Thank you all for your posts. Just so you know I am not looking for sympathy i am just sharing our experiences. Wondering if anyone went through the same. I am surprised there is not a food allergy section in this forum under special diets. Got gluten free, Veterinarian, and diabetic.

Food is just one part we are struggling with. He cant have any of what I call smell goods. He has a special cream we put on him. NO regular baby lotions or shampoo. If someone wearing alot of perfume holds him he has a reaction. Per the alergist orders he gets bleach baths. Every other day or so give him a bath and just put in a couple cap fulls of bleach. We looked at all kinds of organic soaps. Most popular seem to be goat milk soap or it has lye in it. He cant have either. We use free and clear shampoo and free and clear laundry detergent and dryer sheets on everyone's clothing. I use to love pulling fresh cloths out of the dryer. They smelled so good. Now they smell like nothing.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Thank you all for your posts. Just so you know I am not looking for sympathy i am just sharing our experiences. Wondering if anyone went through the same. I am surprised there is not a food allergy section in this forum under special diets. Got gluten free, Veterinarian, and diabetic.
Food allergies are too diverse and better dealt with by an allergist, rather than folks who do not have said allergies. They fall under "Special Diets". Here, you are the expert when it comes to the foods your son can eat.

Sorry your boy has such a hard time. I have a nephew who has severe allergies and eczema since babyhood, he has grown out of several of them, but not all. It's a challenge and very frustrating, I know.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
We have a food processor but hes eating more solid foods now that he has teeth. he does like rice. Eats a banana or 2 a day. When he does eat baby food this is his absolute favorite, http://www.diapers.com/p/earths-best...-3-5-oz-769055
Cook and mush sweet potato and beets, you said you have food processor, or just how you would puree the mashed potato. While cooking add seasoning of his liking. Whatever it might be, and whatever he can have. May have to play around with it. Keep the liquid from cooking add as much as you need to make it slushy consistency. put in one of those kiddy cups with a straw. We buy something similar it has bunch of garbage in there check what it is and see what you can add. To make it sweet you can add some fruits.
For my second son I cooked everything, and I mean everything, and then put thru food processor. He never had baby food. Until our daughter was born 5 years latter and he would still her baby food.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Oh yea we have a couple kid cups with a straw. I don't know why I Didn't think of that. I keep thinking of a way to make a pouch.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
...He cant have any of what I call smell goods.... We looked at all kinds of organic soaps. Most popular seem to be goat milk soap or it has lye in it. He cant have either...
Have you tried soap from the "Kiss My Face" company? About five years ago, I had eczema issues that flared up so bad the Physician's Assistant decided to have a staff doctor check me on my next visit. Fresh out of college with a still-wet diploma and totally wet behind the ears, she started recommending all sorts of products that not only didn't help, they seemed to make things worse. I found information online saying that some people find olive oil to provide relief. Other articles said some people had success using lavender oil to reduce itching. I found Kiss My Face's olive oil and lavender soap bars and have had complete relief ever since. You might want to check with your son's doctor next visit to see if he thinks it might be helpful for your boy. You can probably find the soap at Whole Foods, although I was able to buy it at a natural foods, etc. store a few towns over. If all else fails, there is mail order.

All Natural Olive Oil Bar Soaps from Kiss My Face
Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I am going to try that. Its not a bad price either. If he cant use it I will. I have horrible dry skin in the winter.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
I am going to try that. Its not a bad price either. If he cant use it I will. I have horrible dry skin in the winter.
Try a little olive oil for dry skin.

You can also shave with it if you run out of shaving cream or if your skin is sensitive.

Tags
food