"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It sounds like you're talking about religions rather than diets. You could substitute the word religion for diet and the general intent of the statement would be right on.
I think one could make the same claim about any number of things, including politics or preferred car models. It usually boils down to "I'm right and everyone else is wrong."

By the way, I'm not very religious, but I do like to eat. So maybe food is my religion.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I think one could make the same claim about any number of things, including politics or preferred car models. It usually boils down to "I'm right and everyone else is wrong."

By the way, I'm not very religious, but I do like to eat. So maybe food is my religion.
I like to cook, not that fond of eating!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...By the way, I'm not very religious, but I do like to eat. So maybe food is my religion.

Then going to a restaurant is like going to church. After all, there's bread and wine and you leave money there.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

You're missing the influence of external pressure in this case, which does make it like a religion. People are shamed and made to feel guilty for not doing it right. When she started telling her readers that she had an eating disorder, she was attacked. It wasn't just about her and her choices.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Human beings are amazingly adaptable, when you think about it. Despite being around in our present form for tens of thousands of years, we have many different views on what exactly constitutes the perfect diet. Some say veganism is best. Others stress low carb. Or low fat. Or mostly fish. Others say you need a balance. We seem to be able to survive (although not necessarily thrive) on many different diets.

But the funny thing is - and this seems to be a uniquely human trait - is that every one of us who believes we're eating "healthy" is convinced that our diet is absolutely the best, and that everyone else is wrong.
Yes, humans are omnivores. But it's not as complicated as people make it out to be.

http://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/4472930
Old 08-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
Master Chef

Cute bulldog, GG, but what was the article?

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Cute bulldog, GG, but what was the article?
Oops. Sorry.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4472930
Old 08-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
Head Chef

I ignore the magic diet articles. I eat everything, but also try to keep things in balance. I try to avoid desserts, fatty red meat, deep fried foods, and other things that are generally recognized as not particularly healthy. Otherwise, some of everything is fine, including carbs. I get a fair bit of exercise - a few thousand miles per year on the bike, plus some other activities. Oh, and wine is a grocery.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #19
Head Chef

well hell... I'm doomed.... but happy....

Ross
Old 08-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yes, humans are omnivores. But it's not as complicated as people make it out to be.

http://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/4472930
Thanks for the article GG. I think the crux of it is in this paragraph:
Quote:
To get a grip on the truth about diet and health, it requires an objective review of a vast literature. I know, because I have been obligated to do it. To substantiate a preselected gripe, however, such as “grains are the enemy,” is vastly easier. There is no need to search the literature comprehensively and deal with what you find. You need only decide what you believe in advance, and select out the studies that support it — however few they may be. It doesn’t take many scientific papers to make an argument seem fully substantiated and even erudite. But what you will not know unless you search the literature comprehensively yourself is how often the six papers convincingly cited are at odds with 6,000 papers that are not. Sorry, folks, but pseudo-erudition in support of dietary nonsense really is that easy — and while the authors are the richer, the rest of us are the poorer, fatter and sicker for it.
I certainly have neither the training nor the time, to acquire "an objective review of a vast literature." Nor to "search the literature comprehensively" myself to find out "how often the six papers convincing cited are at odds with 6,000 papers that are not." So like most of us, I must rely on a consensus judgment of the vast majority of professionals who have devoted years of study and experience to acquiring the expertise to make those judgments.

So when I hear somebody, in any field, say that the experts or elites have all got it wrong and I alone have the experience, revelation or common sense to see the truth which, believe me, I'm not sharing with you because of all the money I'm making off it, I cover my wallet and head for the exit.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating