Clean Eating- Guardian Newspaper Article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the article GG. I think the crux of it is in this paragraph:

I certainly have neither the training nor the time, to acquire "an objective review of a vast literature." Nor to "search the literature comprehensively" myself to find out "how often the six papers convincing cited are at odds with 6,000 papers that are not." So like most of us, I must rely on a consensus judgment of the vast majority of professionals who have devoted years of study and experience to acquiring the expertise to make those judgments.

So when I hear somebody, in any field, say that the experts or elites have all got it wrong and I alone have the experience, revelation or common sense to see the truth which, believe me, I'm not sharing with you because of all the money I'm making off it, I cover my wallet and head for the exit.
Ditto on all counts! Which is also why I laugh and laugh when people say, "I did my own research!" or "Do your own research!" :ROFLMAO: Because neither I nor they have a research lab or the education needed to read and understand dozens of scientific papers written by people with PhD or MD or DO (or more than one) after their names with 10 or more years of schooling in their specialty.

Thanks for the article GG. I think the crux of it is in this paragraph:

I certainly have neither the training nor the time, to acquire "an objective review of a vast literature." Nor to "search the literature comprehensively" myself to find out "how often the six papers convincing cited are at odds with 6,000 papers that are not." So like most of us, I must rely on a consensus judgment of the vast majority of professionals who have devoted years of study and experience to acquiring the expertise to make those judgments.

Hogwash. If there's one thing consistent about so-called "experts," it's that they're consistently wrong. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ua-WVg1SsA

Hogwash. If there's one thing consistent about so-called "experts," it's that they're consistently wrong. :rolleyes:

A lot of that problem is exaggeration and misreporting of scientific research by the media. People often take popular articles much more seriously than they deserve, and then the food production industry capitalizes on that and distorts it further.

Science moves slowly and incrementally for the most part. I think the takeaway from the article I posted is that what to do really has not changed all that much: eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean meats and dairy; few highly processed foods; in reasonable portions. Get enough sleep and exercise. For medical reasons, some may need to vary this a little, or some may choose to for various reasons, but it works pretty well for most people.

Last edited:
Science moves slowly and incrementally for the most part. I think the takeaway from the article I posted is that what to do really has not changed all that much: eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean meats and dairy; few highly processed foods; in reasonable portions. Get enough sleep and exercise. For medical reasons, some may need to vary this a little, but it works pretty well for most people.

Or some may need to vary it a lot. I ate the way you describe for most of my adult life, but still ended up diabetic, overweight, and lethargic. These days, I eat all the "wrong" foods (according to the experts)... no fruits or grains whatsoever, limited vegetables, and moderate amounts of fatty dairy and meat. The first thing that happened is that I lost almost 100 pounds, gained energy I didn't know I had, and got my blood sugar and cholesterol under control. Even my doctor was completely taken aback, and told me to keep up whatever it was I was doing.

And yes, I also get plenty of exercise, fresh air, and sleep.

One needs to keep an open mind, and not necessarily poo-poo what works for some of us.

Last edited:

This video is why I don't listen to what people say about what I should and shouldn't eat. I eat what I like in moderate amounts and I feel great. Maybe I won't feel great as long as I could, but I feel great right now.

When you show me your PH.D in nutrition and other health related subjects, then maybe I will pay attention to what you say.

I would no more to have the nerve to tell anyone how to live their life or even what foods to eat. I know what works for me. I haven't a clue to what works for others. Nor is it my business.

Bloggers? They are folks who have too much time on their hands. There is only one blog I follow. I have read a couple of others but didn't keep up with them. They became very repetitive. Nor have I read any book on what to eat by an untrained or non-educated person on the subject. I prefer to read the latest and greatest on diabetes. Articles my son Poo sends to me that is not readily available to the public. But that doesn't mean I am going to post any advice from those articles here. It is not my place to tell you what you should do about your health problems. And I certainly do not need anyone to share their information with me. I have a health team and my son who keeps a close watch on my health, to do that. He stays in touch with my doctor regarding my health. And I think I am sure in saying that most of you folks have your own health team.

I worked for three years at Wyeth Pharmaceutical looking at patient reports regarding their well being, or not, for new drugs. That doesn't qualify me to dispense any information that I learned about a lot of those drugs that made it to market.

Or some may need to vary it a lot. I ate the way you describe for most of my adult life, but still ended up diabetic, overweight, and lethargic. These days, I eat all the "wrong" foods (according to the experts)... no fruits or grains whatsoever, limited vegetables, and moderate amounts of fatty dairy and meat. The first thing that happened is that I lost almost 100 pounds, gained energy I didn't know I had, and got my blood sugar and cholesterol under control. Even my doctor was completely taken aback, and told me to keep up whatever it was I was doing.

And yes, I also get plenty of exercise, fresh air, and sleep.

One needs to keep an open mind, and not necessarily poo-poo what works for some of us.

Yes, I know. You've been talking about it for two years (or so it seems). I'm not poo poo-ing what you're doing; I'm glad it's working for you. I'm saying that for most people, it's not that complicated to figure out what or how much to eat. Don't take it so personally.

Last edited:
When you show me your PH.D in nutrition and other health related subjects, then maybe I will pay attention to what you say.

I would no more to have the nerve to tell anyone how to live their life or even what foods to eat. I know what works for me. I haven't a clue to what works for others. Nor is it my business.

Bloggers? They are folks who have too much time on their hands. There is only one blog I follow. I have read a couple of others but didn't keep up with them...

You clearly did not read the article. Blogging is the least of it.

I did read the WHOLE article. I wasn't impressed with the subject matter in the least. I don't need other folks telling what is fit to eat and what isn't.
It's not about you. It's about a real cultural phenomenon that is causing serious problems for a lot of people. It's not surprising that doesn't "impress" you.

So, if it's laughable about doing one's own research, and it's not about an individual, and it's not that complicated, but again, it's a cultural phenomenon, who should dictate what we should eat?

Do we need a dictator?

So, if it's laughable about doing one's own research, and it's not about an individual, and it's not that complicated, but again, it's a cultural phenomenon, who should dictate what we should eat?

Do we need a dictator?

Great idea! I recommend a pot smoking leader from France. He would be the French fried 'tater.

Absurd | Define Absurd at Dictionary.com
Absurd | Define Absurd at Dictionary.com
1. Absurd, ridiculous, preposterous all mean inconsistent with reason or common sense. Absurd means utterly opposed to truth or reason: an absurd claim. Ridiculous implies that something is fit only to be laughed at, perhaps contemptuously: a ridiculous.
‎Absurdly · ‎Ad absurdum · ‎Absurdist · ‎Absurd, theater of the
Steve, I wish you realized the absurdity of that statement. The creators of the intentionally absurd comedic video that you use to support it would be amused.
Addie said:
Addie, is someone in DC telling you what to eat? I'm certainly not. The author of the Huffington Post article isn't either.
buckytom said:
Each of us makes our own choices, of course. Just beware. There are people and institutions who do not give a whit about our welfare, that are, for profit, prestige, or power, trying to influence our decisions. Deceptive scientific and academic references are often used. If that fails, attacks on science and rational thought are employed.
buckytom said:
Do we need a dictator?
Much can be said about that question, Tom. But I am forbidden by the forum ban on politics from discussing it.

Steve, I wish you realized the absurdity of that statement. The creators of the intentionally absurd comedic video that you use to support it would be amused.

Addie, is someone in DC telling you what to eat? I'm certainly not. The author of the Huffington Post article isn't either.

Each of us makes our own choices, of course. Just beware. There are people and institutions who do not give a whit about our welfare, that are, for profit, prestige, or power, trying to influence our decisions. Deceptive scientific and academic references are often used. If that fails, attacks on science and rational thought are employed.

Much can be said about that question, Tom. But I am forbidden by the forum ban on politics from discussing it.

+1..

Back
Top Bottom