"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-29-2005, 09:55 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Well, I used to use an industrial vapor-steam cleaner to clean my BBQ, but so many people went on at me for being too fussy....so now I use the 'burn it to an ash & brush it off' method. After reading this article though, I may just go back to my old method!

Paint.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:03 AM   #12
Executive Chef

We use a weed burner to heat up the grate and loosen the gunk. Then use a steel grill brush to scrap the gunk, then wipe it off with paper towels to get any particles. Every other cleaning, it get sprayed with oven cleaner and hosed off, then the grates are oiled down to prevent rust.

Some people just don't pay attention. Just like some people should never operate a gas grill or turkey fryer.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #13
Executive Chef

We burn then brush ours also, BUT, if it ever does get gunky, I spray oven cleaner on the grates and put them in a large garbage bag - leave for a while and the stuff washes right off. The gunk and bag is tossed in the garbage.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I'm new to this forum, but have lurked for a few times. This is an interesting topic that prompts me to wonder how professional kitchens clean their high octane ranges. I work at a university with several dining halls and kitchens. Once a year we get the word that there will be a steam cleaning of facilities. Is this how it's done? Can you clean your grill grates (after being removed) with one of those small steam cleaners?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site Dorse
My guess (and it is just a guess) is that those small steam machines do not produce enough steam to really do the job.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I do the burning method as well, and never used a wire brush on my grill.

If you follow the directions, usually the manufacturer lists a preferred method of grate seasoning to prevent the use of a wire brush.

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to bettyslp
Raine,
Thanks for sharing 'Cleaning your grill precautions' news article and all the good ideas posted after. I have shared the information with many of my friends and family.

Betty
from Maine
Old 07-29-2005, 01:39 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorse
I'm new to this forum, but have lurked for a few times. This is an interesting topic that prompts me to wonder how professional kitchens clean their high octane ranges. I work at a university with several dining halls and kitchens. Once a year we get the word that there will be a steam cleaning of facilities. Is this how it's done? Can you clean your grill grates (after being removed) with one of those small steam cleaners?
There is a big difference between the small steam cleaners and a proper 'Vapor' cleaner....which is what commercial kitchens use. The small steam cleaners use wet steam, which is usually not under any pressure - it's just like the steam you get from your kettle, but forced through a small hole so that it blasts out, because the steam is not under pressure it doesn't get much above boiling temperature, and it produces very wet steam that condenses easily and drenches the surface you are cleaning. Vapor cleaners on the other hand use steam under pressure (about 5 bars), which superheats the steam to germ-killing temperatures and produces 'dry' steam - i.e. it will not condense and soak surfaces with water very much. You can get quality residential vapor cleaners for around $400 upwards, which are very good. Commercial vapor cleaners are more expensive.

In Europe, residential vapor cleaners are a popular method of cleaning your house - you get germ-killing power without the use of harmful chemicals. I used a 'Polti' vapor cleaner for many years back in England, and now have a continuous fill commercial model over here. I use it for deep cleaning carpets, cabinets, floors, bathrooms, windows, my oven, grill, electrical items that you can't wash easily, killing dust-mites in the furniture, bedding & carpets and anything else that could do with a good deep clean and sanitizing. For more info - look up 'vapor cleaners' on the internet :)

Paint.