"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Exclamation Cleaning your grill precautions

Folks, please be careful and be safe!

http://www.canada.com/national/natio...e-cb3457ce535d

Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
Uhhh... It can be painful...
Thanks, Raine!!!.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Master Chef

Okay I couldn’t bring my self to read pass first two paragraphs, but can I bring in an off-topic, it is about cleaning grills.

The other day I was at my friends’ house, he recently bought a beautiful gas grill, and so we were invited for BBQ. So he tells me that sales person told him never to scrub the grill with those brushes, and maybe just spray a bit of oil when starting to grill, but not to clean the old grease at all, it’s better for the flavor, he said. Huh? Am I missing something? Should we then stop doing dishes all together?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Exactly what I say Charlie, when folks say they never clean their grill because that is where the flavor is.

Need flavor, we'll sell you a 5 gallon bucket of it
Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Master Chef

I stopped using those metal brushes for just that reason. Luckily I saw the bristles stuck to the grill and no one ingested them.

I DO clean my grill. I can't stand the smell when someone turns on a grill that has never been cleaned! I've found the easiest way is to bring the grate inside and cover it with wet paper towels. I let them sit on the grate for about 15 minutes to soften up all the gunk and it's then easy to clean with a Scotch-brite type sponge. Seems to work for us!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Clean the Grill

Here's an idea on cleaning the grids on BBQ grills...

Once your food is cooked, removed, and carried to where it will be eaten (and the gas is turned off if it's a gas grill) take a few extra seconds to remove the grids to a large tin bucket and spray them with oven cleaner. Let them sit while you enjoy your meal. When you're done with your meal, come back out and spray them clean with the garden hose. At this time they should be cool enough that any stuck on food can be safely scrubbed off with a standard stiff bristled household scrub brush. Once clean, pick them up, spray rinse them with the hose and put them back on the grill to dry. If you want, you can give them a quick drying off with paper towels and a light spritzing with cooking spray before reinstalling.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

If you crank up the grill and incinerate the residue on the grates, then you can brush off the ashes and hard dry burned residue easily with no risk of leaving bristles behind in the gunk. The gunk has all burned off.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:47 AM   #8
Master Chef

I'm following Andy's line of thinking - the problem is probably technique.

I can see where this "might" happen if someone only gets the grill warm (the baked on grease just gets semi-soft and can act like a glue to hold broken bristles from an old brush that probably should have been retired several years ago) then the meat is slapped on before the residue can burn off.

If I read the story correctly - the brush was several years old. I buy a new one every year or two ... depends on how much I use it. And, I don't leave it hanging out all year to deteriorate ...

I know you're on the circuit Raine - how do you clean your grills???
Old 07-29-2005, 09:00 AM   #9
Head Chef

We clean ours the same way, high heat. And thats a Weber. the hot coals burn everything off.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I am with Andy and Michael on this as well. After I am done cooking I crank up the heat to high (if it is not already there) and let it go for about 5 minutes or more. Everything burns to a crisp. I then take my brush to it and everything just comes right off.

I buy a new brush once or twice a season. I buy a cheapo brush. I don't usually spend more than $2 on them. They may not be cool looking and stainless steel or anything like that, but they get the job done and I don't have to feel bad about trashing then when needed.