"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Red face College cooking

Salutations! I've never posted here before.

I have two questions:
First, do any of you have any recipies that are easy to do in a college dorm? I have a hot plate with a pot and a pan, as well as a refrigerator. Furthermore, I am lactose-intollerant.

Secondly, what is a good substitute for oil or butter, which is called for in most bread recipies?
Thank you !
--Erica

A word fitly spoken in like apples of gold in pictures of silver. -- Proverbs 25:11
Spring_Mist18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Welcome Erica! I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out, but I don't thing there is really any substitute for oil or butter, unless it's lard.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Welcome to the Board!

I though all college kids lived off of ramen and hot dogs?.....and the occasional "special water"?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

lol... well I'm personally a "health nut" so I'm just looking for recipies that are simple, and better for you than hot dogs, microwaved food, etc. :)

I already have a tall stack of oranges, as well as some canned organic soups and spinach salad.
So I'm just looking for some newer ideas... the ones I have already started to get SOOO old last year. lol
A word fitly spoken in like apples of gold in pictures of silver. -- Proverbs 25:11
Old 08-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
Senior Cook

How about pasta and meat sauce. You could make the meat sauce, remove from the hot plate, cook the pasta and when it is done reheat the sauce. Serve with a salad and a crusty roll. Chili also comes to mind.
Why do you want to replace the oil or butter?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

As for the oil/butter sub in bread ... fats serve a purpose (keeping qualities, texture and grain, tenderness, flavor, color, etc.) - basically overall quality. Some flat breads and some sourdough breads don't call for fats as an ingredient - but since fats are used in such a small quantity I wouldn't worry about it.

What type of meals are you looking for? There are plenty of pasta, rice, bean recipes - soups, stews, chili - lots of stuff that could be modified from "crock-pot" recipes (if you're going to be in your dorm room for 4-6 hours).
Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Red face

Thanks for the ideas!! They will work :)
I think it also would be a good idea to get crock pot, when I'll be around for 4-6 hours.
Much better than cafe food, that's for sure!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef

breads can be made with olive oil, a healthy choice.
cakes can be made with applesauce, prune preserve etc.

many healthy one pot meals exist. I love red lentil soup with potatoes and kale and sausage or ham. but the meat can be left out. instead of chicken broth use veggy broth. red lentils cook in half an hour no soaking needed, great for you. add parsnips and turnips. delicious.

THe new all purpose joy of cooking will serve you well in the college dorm.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Hello Spring Mist

Good luck in college. Rather than answer your original query (sorry), do permit to me to make a suggestion. I'm assuming you also have a meal plan, yes? Please seek out the dining service office. I promise they, especially the chef, will be very happy to discuss your particular dietary needs with you. Short of making meals especially for you, the chef will be able to point out which foods you can easily tolerate on any given day. The chef will be able to help you plan meals for healthy eating.
Please consider this.

Most campus dining services spend a great deal of time trying to give the customers exactly what they want. Lots of effort is given to vegetarian diets, heart healthy diets, lo-carb diets, high protien diets. More fresh produce than frozen is often used. Breads come in every day. You'll probably find at least three kinds of fruit juice. It's also more cost productive to make food from scratch than buying frozen food, so you can be assured that everything is made fresh. Keep an open mind and communicate with the service. They would appreciate that.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Here are some suggestions:

Pot:

- cook wild rice (if rice can be cooked with the pot) + mushroom sauce from Campbell.
-cook carrots and/or potatoes, and mash them together. With the extra water, you can make pototoe soup
-chicken broth + eggs (1 or 2) + iceberg lettuce + salt (if you wish)
-boiled egg to make egg sandwiches

I can't think of anything to make with a pan just now only with a pot because I had a rice cooker while living in a residence.

Can you use a slow cooker? Never seen a slow cooker in a dorm before , but it's a suggestion.

Hope this helps.