"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! Pita pockets. A zippie of roasted chicken breast, another with veggies, e.g., tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, bean sprouts, shredded cheese to stuff in the pita pockets. Carrot and celery sticks. Hard boiled eggs. A can of smoked oysters or mussels. A mix of almonds and other nuts, raisins. I mix peanuts or pumpkin seeds, chex cereal, choc chips, raisins when I travel on the train for a snack food. If you have access to a cooler, a container of yogurt is always a good idea. I'm a protein person. I eat hb eggs as a snack. I don't eat a lot of carbs, but bring on the protein. Working construction, eggs or other protein would get you from one break to another more than a carb snack/meal will.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk
I see you have gotten lots of help but may I offer this? I think that you will find that unprocessed foods will stick with you longer than processed things. Fresh fruits and veggies are often portion controlled by nature. A tomatoe eaten like an apple with a small amount of salt can be a real treat in the late summer. A big cucumber can give you a satisfying crunch, and there are apples for wvery kind of taste preference. The biggest thing is remembering that you need food to live and not the other way around. Maybe for just one meal a day eat what is good for you. I find it easiest to do that at lunch especially when I am busy. Then at the other meals when I have time to enjoy them I allow myself to be a little more free with my eating. Hope this helps.
I agree with the unprocessed food 110% but as with all the lighter meals I'm not sure it's enough for the energy level I need to complete a day.

With my job its hard to covey the level of labor I put out every day. We are a trench-less sewer and storm line rehabilitation company. Using a resin soaked felt liner we install it by inverting it with water pressure and cure it in place (CIPP) cured in place pipe. So it's tons, and tons of heavy lifting, hot weather, I live and work on Florida's west coast so heat and humidity play a huge part in my day to day. So I look at it as I'm a body builder that works out all day in a sauna.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Welcome to DC! Pita pockets. A zippie of roasted chicken breast, another with veggies, e.g., tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, bean sprouts, shredded cheese to stuff in the pita pockets. Carrot and celery sticks. Hard boiled eggs. A can of smoked oysters or mussels. A mix of almonds and other nuts, raisins. I mix peanuts or pumpkin seeds, chex cereal, choc chips, raisins when I travel on the train for a snack food. If you have access to a cooler, a container of yogurt is always a good idea. I'm a protein person. I eat hb eggs as a snack. I don't eat a lot of carbs, but bring on the protein. Working construction, eggs or other protein would get you from one break to another more than a carb snack/meal will.
I really like this idea. Sounds pretty balanced with enough protein for the work I do.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Pretty much i'm up at 0430 and off to work by 0500, I ride 4 miles to work on my bike which is about 25/30 min. It's go go go for about 12 to 18 hours a day, then another 4 miles home. That may give some people a better idea of my life right now lol.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I see you have gotten lots of help but may I offer this? I think that you will find that unprocessed foods will stick with you longer than processed things. Fresh fruits and veggies are often portion controlled by nature. A tomatoe eaten like an apple with a small amount of salt can be a real treat in the late summer. A big cucumber can give you a satisfying crunch, and there are apples for wvery kind of taste preference. The biggest thing is remembering that you need food to live and not the other way around. Maybe for just one meal a day eat what is good for you. I find it easiest to do that at lunch especially when I am busy. Then at the other meals when I have time to enjoy them I allow myself to be a little more free with my eating. Hope this helps.
Are you saying that you think eating what's good for you is less enjoyable or less tasty?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #26
Head Chef

No, I'm saying that I often skip things that I can manage without when I am really busy and don't have the time to enjoy the full flavor of them. In other words I just eat for the energy I get from the food. I may just do some sliced meat (chicken etc) and some sliced veggies on the run, just to get the energy I need and to fill the hole in my belly. When I have the time to savor my food I make myself something that takes more time to prepare. This gentleman has specified that he is very busy and works at a very physically stressful job. IMHO what he needs is to take care of the basics at lunch and save the rest for when he has the time and energy to really enjoy them. I mean he could do donuts and soda for lunch, no work, fast energy, but what would that gain him? He would be hungry again in minutes and he just doesn't have that kind of luxury. I think it's key to get the essential nutrients in even if he has to forgo the cooking and prepping to do it. But of course I am sure that you realized that when you made your last post.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
No, I'm saying that I often skip things that I can manage without when I am really busy and don't have the time to enjoy the full flavor of them. In other words I just eat for the energy I get from the food. I may just do some sliced meat (chicken etc) and some sliced veggies on the run, just to get the energy I need and to fill the hole in my belly. When I have the time to savor my food I make myself something that takes more time to prepare. This gentleman has specified that he is very busy and works at a very physically stressful job. IMHO what he needs is to take care of the basics at lunch and save the rest for when he has the time and energy to really enjoy them. I mean he could do donuts and soda for lunch, no work, fast energy, but what would that gain him? He would be hungry again in minutes and he just doesn't have that kind of luxury. I think it's key to get the essential nutrients in even if he has to forgo the cooking and prepping to do it. But of course I am sure that you realized that when you made your last post.
Okay, when you explain it that way it makes perfect sense.

I'm always concerned when I hear something that makes me think someone thinks healthy food doesn't taste good.

While I was visiting a friend, one of her friends kept telling her child to eat various foods on his plate because, "It's good for you." Well, this poor child certainly thought that "good for you" meant it was something he didn't want to eat. When it was time for strawberries for dessert, I told the little brat, "Those strawberries are good for you." He wouldn't eat them, though he had been happily eating them until I told him. His mother was furious with me.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slkylo View Post
Pretty much i'm up at 0430 and off to work by 0500, I ride 4 miles to work on my bike which is about 25/30 min. It's go go go for about 12 to 18 hours a day, then another 4 miles home. That may give some people a better idea of my life right now lol.
Sounds like you would burn lots of carbs. Are you overweight? "cus with lifestyle like that you shouldn't be. Lots of cold, lean meats and greens for protein and vitamins(roughage too). Fruit for carbs, 64 oz of water a day. I would stay away from bread products if you can. At least for on a daily basis. Are broth soups in a thermos bottle possible? Put more fruit and fruit juice than you could eat and drink in your lunch box. If energy levels feel like they are getting low, eat or drink some quickly. .
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slkylo View Post

I don't understand where yer gut came from, I worked up a sweat and lost three pounds just reading this!

I think rocklobster is on the right track, cut out the bread, pasta, beer and mayo for a couple weeks.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea

I don't understand where yer gut came from, I worked up a sweat and lost three pounds just reading this!

I think rocklobster is on the right track, cut out the bread, pasta, beer and mayo for a couple weeks.
Yep, i eat lots of rice, pasta, breads. I don't like sweets. Beer is only a weekend thing.

Tags
healthy