"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Here are my thoughts on how to get good nutrition and still lose weight.

The key is to have lots of fruits, veggies, protein, and fiber. You're gone a good portion of the day so I would say you need lunch and at least two snacks and plenty of drinks.

Snack: Whole Wheat Tortilla spread with a few tablespoons of peanut butter and a big handful of berries. Roll it up and toss it in the lunch box. As the berries get bruised, they make a delightful jam.

Lunch:
Grilled Chicken Sandwich with lots of veggies, an apple, a yogurt and some pretzels

Snack:
String Cheese, baby carrots, and a juice

That should keep you full most of the day, while providing you with energy and it's not too calorie dense. Let me know how your lunches turn out!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Another thing if you LIKE chick peas, kidney beans, etc., is to add some of those to your diet. A 3-bean salad with lemon juice and a bit of EVOO (and some seasoning--I like to add curry to mine) will be very filling and provide protein. If you have a juicer, juicing carrots, beets, greens, cukes, fruits, is a great way to get your vitamins. If you don't have a juicer, you usually can get one fairly inexpensively at yard sales or thrift stores. Of course, if you don't have a dishwasher, they can be a pain to clean--my theory as to why people get rid of them.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
Sous Chef

You could try lettuce wraps, as a snack or lunch dependent on what you put in them :) Basically replace the bread with a large lettuce leaf.. heres some links/ recipes Lettuce Wraps, How To Make Lettuce Wraps, Lettuce Tacos

Now that I remember them I think thats what I will start taking in my lunch, I'm a carb addict
Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
You could try lettuce wraps, as a snack or lunch dependent on what you put in them :) Basically replace the bread with a large lettuce leaf.. heres some links/ recipes Lettuce Wraps, How To Make Lettuce Wraps, Lettuce Tacos

Now that I remember them I think thats what I will start taking in my lunch, I'm a carb addict
Get over the carbs, Merlot, and come on the protein side of life. For lettuce wraps, I like romaine--put all the goodies in zippies, and then make them on site. I love cold steak sandwiches and cold steak in lettuce wraps with a splash of black bean sauce is divine. And, I think not too bad for you.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Get over the carbs, Merlot, and come on the protein side of life. For lettuce wraps, I like romaine--put all the goodies in zippies, and then make them on site. I love cold steak sandwiches and cold steak in lettuce wraps with a splash of black bean sauce is divine. And, I think not too bad for you.
For most of us getting rid of carbs goes hand in hand with more protein.

Low carb/high protein isn't all that healthy for everyone. You have Scandinavian ancestry, like me. At this time of the year our ancestors were living off seal willies and fish heads. High protein works for us.

As a friend of mine put it, "So perhaps if you and yours come from nice warm climes where olives grow on trees and clothing is optional, a low-carbohydrate diet makes about as much sense as giving up wine. But for those for whom fermenting honey was actually more convenient than fermenting grapes (what, after all, are a few bee strings when you don't have any grapes...) the situation, by which I mean the inherited metabolic situation, may be a little different."
Old 01-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
For most of us getting rid of carbs goes hand in hand with more protein.

Low carb/high protein isn't all that healthy for everyone. You have Scandinavian ancestry, like me. At this time of the year our ancestors were living off seal willies and fish heads. High protein works for us.

As a friend of mine put it, "So perhaps if you and yours come from nice warm climes where olives grow on trees and clothing is optional, a low-carbohydrate diet makes about as much sense as giving up wine. But for those for whom fermenting honey was actually more convenient than fermenting grapes (what, after all, are a few bee strings when you don't have any grapes...) the situation, by which I mean the inherited metabolic situation, may be a little different."
Well... I did take a blood type test just for the fun of it and it said I needed to eat protein primarily As for ancestory, I am Irish/ German so not really sure what I should be eating I have switched to wholegrain carbs and thrown out the white bread and pasta! I'm at least headed to a semi better start.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

It sounds great and I have some romaine in my refrig, I can't wait until Monday's lunch... ok well I can wait.. I'm ready for the weekend
Old 01-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #38
Half Baked

Canned tuna/shrimp or chicken over a bagged salad. (keep the dressing in another container)add some garbonzos or white beans for carbs.

Quinoa with nuts and veggies you like dressed lightly

Chicken sandwiches

sauteed Shrimp po boy

chili

grilled and marinated veggies with a little pasta and meat

My big one was a can of tuna in water dumped over a microwaved cup of instant brown rice and some sauteed spinach. I ate this for almost a year straight.Tastey but I lost my appetite for it eventually.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Canned tuna/shrimp or chicken over a bagged salad. (keep the dressing in another container)add some garbonzos or white beans for carbs.

Quinoa with nuts and veggies you like dressed lightly

Chicken sandwiches

sauteed Shrimp po boy

chili

grilled and marinated veggies with a little pasta and meat

My big one was a can of tuna in water dumped over a microwaved cup of instant brown rice and some sauteed spinach. I ate this for almost a year straight.Tastey but I lost my appetite for it eventually.
I am like you, I can eat the same thing everyday and be ok with it so I usually find something and stick with it, maybe adding a few seasonal things here and there. (in fact I may try your idea, it sounds great to me!)
I can't do bagged salad, I have a personal dislike for stalks in my salad, it drives me crazy to go to a restaurant and get a salad full of stalks.. maybe my one pet peeve!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

BTW, Slkylo, 4meandthem is a weight lifter. His food needs might be similar to yours.

Tags
healthy