"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Construction worker ISO healthy lunches.

Hello everyone! I'm a 24 year old 235lbs construction worker and I need healthy lunch help! At my job I am a lining technician, and we repair, clean, and televise sanitary sewer systems. Already you can see I don't have an easy-clean job. I need ideas for healthy, fast, meals I can pack for my 14-18 hour work days that doesn't need a lot of fuss to eat. Nutrition in mind for weight loss, but enough energy to make the day.

Any, and all tips are welcome. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Hello and Welcome to DC!!!

Could you give us some ideas about your likes and dislikes in foods or allergies? Inquiring minds wanna know

P Top

Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Master Chef

How about salads?

Make up some lunch bags with strips of lean meat and low fat cheese at the beginning of the week. A large tossed salad or even a "bag" salad from the store. A few small containers of salad dressing. Each morning fill a plastic bowl with salad, toss a bag of meat and cheese, a container of dressing and a couple pieces of fruit in a "six pack" cooler with a frozen bottle of water and go.

Don't forget your fork!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

There are about a thousand ways to make a healthy salad. You could have a great big salad in a Tupperware bowl, with a side bowl of dressing.

The combinations of salad ingredients and types of dressings are almost endless.

It's very good for you, great tasting and easy to make the evening before work.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef

welcome to dc slklyo! my favorite lunch combination would be soup and a sandwich--filling and satisfying without high costing calories if you choose carefully. maybe start with a pea, bean or lentil soup with a tomato/lettuce sandwich sprinkled with bacon bits....
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A thermos of soup or stew to keep it warm, crackers and reduced fat cheese, some fruit, maybe with low fat caramel dip. Sandwich with wet stuff in a separate baggie (lettuce, low fat mayo, tomatoes, etc.). Salads with grains and/or beans like quinoa and chickpeas. Cut up veggies with low fat ranch dip. Skim milk, low sodium V8. A handful of nuts or trailmix to nibble for a snack.

BTW, welcome to DC!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. Glad to be here with all you great people. As far as food goes, I'll try anything and I like most anything. I don't have any food allergies, so that's a plus, and I have a large lunch box for work. I like the salad idea, just wonder if I can make it filling enough and still healthy.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

To a salad, try the beans, grains, big scoop of low fat cottage cheese, some frozen baby peas, some sunflower seeds or other nuts like walnuts and cashews, raisins, grapes, pineapple or apple slices, maybe some low fat ham or pastrami, carrots, radishes, along with some snack items. Separate scoop of dressing. Maybe some blue cheese crumbles.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Master Chef

Taboule and couscous are simple to make beforehand, add what you like (olives, a little chopped meat, low-fat feta, etc) and dole out before you go to work.

A big, and I do mean BIG, cut out of calories and fat can be .... can you actually taste the slice or two of cheese you put on the meat in your meat sandwich (or for that matter on a fast-food burger)? Most of the time you cannot. Most people slap on a slice or two of American cheese and, if that's the case, give yourself a sit down and do a before and after taste test. Most of the time you can taste it on a simple cheese and bread sandwich, but not on a salami or burger. Save the cheese (and trust me, I love cheese!) for more flavorful cheeses and meals where they "star"!

I'm not sure of your financial situation, but if you can go for heartier breads that are chewier. The bread will be more filling and it will make you feel like you've had a heartier meal if you actually have to chew your bread.

If you like subs, buy a low-calorie Italian dressing to dress them, along with lots of veggies.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

And, as usual, I agree with Dawg. Beans and lentils and such are very filling. Again, something you can make in advance and dole out and eat cold (or nuke and eat from a thermos). Slivered nuts are sources of healthy fats and also are filling on such dishes.

Chili, believe it or not, is something that is very easy to make low-fat, very filling, and again, you can make a big batch, freeze (or not, lasts long in a fridge), nuke, and eat from a thermos (I swear, my husband would eat it cold).

Tags
healthy