"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Of course, some people don't like to cook with alcohol for one reason or another - and that's usually the 2nd ingredient on most cans.
WOW! I had no idea I was using alcohol whenever I would use Pam! I went and looked, and sure enough, "grain alcohol" is the second ingredient. Very interesting. I checked another can I have - it's called Professional Bak-Klene All Purpose - and here's it's ingredients: "...a blend of homogenized blend of Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Lecithin, Wheat Starch, Natural Flavor, and Propellant." That doesn't sound as bad, except for the propellant part, and that sounds kind of scary.

As far as cooking egg whites goes, just do the little bit of oil in the pan like Michael suggested. It works perfectly.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Master Chef

My daughter uses the pump stuff a lot, and it's pretty good.
I think I saw Sara Moulton making an omelet out of egg whites...I'll see if I can find her recipe.

I love tuna salad, and have found that it's just as good when you just use the white part of the hard-boiled eggs.
I tried giving the yolks to my dog, but she barfed them up.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Thanks, Elf - if you haven't noticed - I have a real problem with the US "Nutritional" labeling laws - bacause they can be manipulated and misleading. I haven't seen the "pump" stuff - just the "sprays" like PAM. I'll have to check them (pumps) out.

I agree. Pam says it's vegetable oil and then claims it's 0% fat.

Well, I got news for them. Oil is 100% fat.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:17 AM   #14
Master Chef

Out of curiousity, do you guys actually separate the eggs? What do you do with all those yolks? I took to using Egg Beaters (or something similar) many years ago (when hubby first had cholesterol/blood pressure problems), and now buy real eggs once or twice a year as a treat. But almost everything gets egg beaters. Since our famiily is two, it's rarely a whole dozen eggs (if your store won't split a dozen in half for you, find a new store!). But the frozen egg beaters are so great because they are there whenever I want them. Actually I tend to keep egg beaters (which come in a carton equivalent to 4 eggs) and scramblers (which come in a carton equivalent to two eggs) both on hand, so that I have the amount of egg I want on hand when I need it. I have a "bunch for brunch" group, and I use the egg beaters in my casseroles, and no one is the wiser. Of course, we're all getting to an age (45-60) where we APPRECIATE a healthy alternative!!! Oh, I'm lying. We have two sons of members of our group who regularly participate (in their 20s), and they love everything we cook. Of course males at that age can inhale food (while women of that age get fat if they think about food). Oh dear, I'm digressing.