"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Talking Cooking healthier - ideas or suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I have joined this website to learn about cooking healthier. I have decided to lose weight/body fat. In order to do this (along with exercising), I recently began to steam my foods, instead of frying them.

I currently use a rice cooker/steamer to steam my meals. Does any one have any suggestions? recipes?

Thanks!
Korry

Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi there Korry, welcome to DC!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Master Chef

Here are a few to give you a start:
Cooks.com - Recipes - Steamed Vegetables
We don't do much with the vegetables we steam. After we take them out we may salt and pepper them, add a little lemon juice or garlic. Basically just spicing them when done and serving. We have some cajun spice we use sometimes as well.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Hi there Korry, welcome to DC!
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Here are a few to give you a start:

We don't do much with the vegetables we steam. After we take them out we may salt and pepper them, add a little lemon juice or garlic. Basically just spicing them when done and serving. We have some cajun spice we use sometimes as well.
Thanks for the weblink and the info... I usually steam my veggies and add some cajun spice to it.... I will also check the website on steaming meats (chicken, beef, etc) as this was something I wanted to know if it reduces the fat content...

thanks again,
korry
Old 01-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Hi Korry! In my web site I published some easy and tasty Italian recipes. I think my way of cooking is very 'light', if you're interested, try some of them, and let me know!
Simona
Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Hi Korry -
Welcome to DC & best of luck with eating healthier!

I think a big part of eating healthier is to know what exactly you're eating...by drastically reducing the amount of pre-packaged foods, and instead make everything from scratch.
Steaming is a great start - here's another:
I like to cut up various root vegetables, place them in a big pan, along with a whole chicken or two then put in a bit of chicken broth, salt & pepper, garlic & lemon. I like to stuff the inside of the chicken with some fresh herbs and the lemon peels as well. Then roast in the oven at 425 degrees for about 90 min till the chicken is nice and golden.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonaskitchen View Post
Hi Korry! In my web site I published some easy and tasty Italian recipes. I think my way of cooking is very 'light', if you're interested, try some of them, and let me know!
Simona
ok thanks... what is your website?

just type it out with spaces, like: w w w . m s n . c o m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Hi Korry -
Welcome to DC & best of luck with eating healthier!

I think a big part of eating healthier is to know what exactly you're eating...by drastically reducing the amount of pre-packaged foods, and instead make everything from scratch.
Steaming is a great start - here's another:
I like to cut up various root vegetables, place them in a big pan, along with a whole chicken or two then put in a bit of chicken broth, salt & pepper, garlic & lemon. I like to stuff the inside of the chicken with some fresh herbs and the lemon peels as well. Then roast in the oven at 425 degrees for about 90 min till the chicken is nice and golden.
Thanks for the welcome... I have been reducing eating prepackaged foods, fast foods, eating out at restaurants... I try to put it in tupperware to go, so I can enjoy mulitple meals on-the-go or at my destination. I have one of those "blue ice" coolers, but Im afraid after 1pm its no longer cold, lol...

Also, thanks for your recipe... sounds delicious...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I am also trying to eat a little healthier, Korry. I assume from your screen name that you just turned 30, as did I. Things don't quite "sit" like they used to.

I find that I enjoy watching "Healthy Attitude" with Ellie on Food Network (HD). She's a nutritionist so she tells you why she is using what she puts in her recipes, so it's a real learning experience.

Her recipes that I've tried have been great. We did her healthy pot pies (BF likes them better than full-fat), baked-fried chicken, and shrimp jambalaya. Do a search on food.com for "Ellie" and all of her recipes pop up. I can't wait to make her grapefruit reduction for some whitefish.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
I am also trying to eat a little healthier, Korry. I assume from your screen name that you just turned 30, as did I. Things don't quite "sit" like they used to.

I find that I enjoy watching "Healthy Attitude" with Ellie on Food Network (HD). She's a nutritionist so she tells you why she is using what she puts in her recipes, so it's a real learning experience.

Her recipes that I've tried have been great. We did her healthy pot pies (BF likes them better than full-fat), baked-fried chicken, and shrimp jambalaya. Do a search on food.com for "Ellie" and all of her recipes pop up. I can't wait to make her grapefruit reduction for some whitefish.

Good luck!

LOL... I know what you mean about the big "Three-Oh"... I have not watched that show... I will tune in when I can, and will look at her recipes...

THANKS!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef

The wife and I started cooking healthier foods at home. We quit smoking a few months back and gained some weight since. The first thing you need to know is Portion Control. It also can cost more trying to eat healthier.