"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

I was a vegetarian for many years and the one thing I couldn't eat was.....tofu! I have a problem with textures and no matter how I made it I couldn't eat it.

Then I worked in a camp as special diets cook and I had 15 vegetarians on staff as well as weekly campers. I learned to do some interesting things with tofu for them.

1. We marinated it in a vegan soy sauce called "Bragg's" (great stuff but hard to find - any type that you will eat is good) or in a lemon juice/veggie broth/garlic mixture and fried it.

2. I made a tofu fried rice with cooked white or brown rice (whatever was on hand), onion, bell peppers, cubed tofu, dried herbs, a little soy sauce and veggie broth. This was a huge hit and great when I was running short on time.

3. I "ground it up" so it looked like cheese curds, made a simple tomato sauce and added the tofu. I served this over noodles and it was also a hit.

My DH makes a breakfast shake with tofu, banana, pineapple and soy or almond milk. He often adds coconut to it as well.

Hope that helps!

PS While preparing all these things and needing to taste them I came to love tofu and now, while I need some meat in my diet (I went anemic and they found I needed meet protien) I still incorporate as much vegetarian food into my diet as I can.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Ill keep looking for the tofu crouton recipe, im sure i have it somewhere
I will certainly look forward to that because DH can't have regular croutons and I haven't had much luck with gluten free ones. Even if your recipe uses flour, I can probably adapt it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Master Chef

Here's a recent thread started about the same time as this one where I (& others) posted a bunch of great tofu ideas:

Give me your best tofu stir fry recipe
Old 04-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
Cook

Been thinking of a diet meal starting this week. The listings here of Tofu recipes looks like a very good way to start... :D Thanks guys!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Hey, I live in Kuwait too and I'm wondering is the chain called The Sultan Centre? Because I am looking for Tofu and I am wondering which one you got it from.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I cook tofu with shrimps. It's also very good.