Craving Charcoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Have you ever heard of anyone have a craving for charcoal? Suddenly, about a month ago, I developed this terrific craving for charcoal. I'd chew on a burnt stick if I could get ahold of one. And no, I'm not pregnant.
I can't help thinking it must be something my body needs, but can't imagine what or why.

When I was a kid, my mother had to hide the powdered laundry starch from me because I'd eat it. Once she found out what I was missing nutrition wise, from the dr, the problem was solved.

I'll check a few places on the internet since I don't have anything to do until noon.:)

It's also a cure for hangovers...been drinking alot? :LOL:

edited: omg, I remember eating the charcoal off matches, too. I was such a lousey eater as a child (bird bones and tall, always underweight) that I was craving nutrients and fortunately the dr obviously solved my problem.

Last edited:
Constance, I think your problem may be somewhat more than what it appears. I can hardly imagine charcoal being needed as a nutrient for one's body. The only medicinal use of charcoal I know of is for absorption of bacteria in the stomach fluid in cases of food poisoning or some similar ailment. Perhaps it would be safer to see your doctor about it.

Cravings denote a deficiency in the system. As others have said, go to the doctor. He/She should be able to zero in on what your body might be lacking.

connie, are you craving real hardwood lump charcoal, or briquette?

it's an important question to serious grillers, ya know. ;)

j/k, i agree, see a doc or nutritionist.

They make charcoal tablets for bloating/gas/reflux/etc...
You may (like all of us) have been over eating/drinking lately...
Take a few antacids...cut back on eating/drinking...
If symptons persist or other symptons arise....See your family physician!!

Thanks for the in-put, guys. I got to thinking about this...charcoal is carbon, but when it's burned it turns into ashes...potash...potassium. I'll bet that's what I'm low on.

Yes, Uncle Bob, I have been indulging more recently. I shall take your advice.

Last edited:
Take some Tums. They have potassium I believe. See if that gets rid of the craving. It won't hurt anything to try that.

Constance said:
Thanks for the in-put, guys. I got to thinking about this...charcoal is carbon, but when it's burned it turns into ashes...potash...potassium. I'll bet that's what I'm low on.
Constance, the best source for potassium is bananas and the most effective way to administer IMO is in the form of banana cake or banana split icecream.

BT, I'm craving real hardwood charcoal...like what you'd find left from a campfire.
GB, I always eat a couple of Tums a day as a Calcium supplement, but lately, I've been waking up in the night and eating 5-6 of them.
Boufa, I like the way you think. ;)

Yes, Uncle Bob, I do. I take norvasc, prinivil, hydrochlorothiazide and a potassium supplement (80 MEQ, I think).
I also take a bunch of other medicines.

The following link provides info on Potassium as well as foods that contain it in significant amounts: Potassium

And as both fruits and dairy contribute Potassium to the diet, I gotta go with the sugar-free ice cream and bannanas idea as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Constance..

Norvasc, and Prinivil are broadly speaking ACE Inhibitors...they tend to Raise potassium levels...
The hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic (water pill) that can lower potassium levels....
You should trust only your physician with your condition..As when he does a blood work up he is looking at potassium levels etc.
I'll repeat...if symptoms persist.. she him!!

Uncle Bob...Old Indian Medicine Man;)

All kidding aside, if I woke up and Mr HB was munching on charcoal or burned sticks, I'd have him at the doctor or emergency room as soon as I got dressed.

I don't remember what it is called....but....there is some disorder linked to craving charcoal, chalk, dirt, starch. Please seek professional assistance. I hope everything turns out fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom