Damage Control....how bad did you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Just prior to the holiday season I'd succeeded in dropping 40 pounds.... Yay for me.

I knew the holidays would be tough, but entered the arena with fork in hand. Happily, the damage was only a pound and a half weight gain, since Thanksgiving. Again, yay for me.

So, now it's back to weighing and measuring everything. I'd like to drop another 15 before I'm satisfied.

How bad did you do?? For me it was the cookies and candies... If anyone brings another box of chocolates to my home, I may have to run to hide beneath the bed.

Happy New Year, everyone..

Yep, we had a huge overload of chocolate come into our house too. I've not been on the scale today, but as of a couple days ago I had been maintaining. LOL. HOWEVER, I went for a killer all you can eat sushi meal on Saturday night and I haven't been brave enough to weigh myself since then. My pants were uncomfortably tight when I got home after that meal. Oops. Talk about gluttony.

I departed the Holiday season a pound lighter than I entered it. :mrgreen:

That makes roughly 30 pounds since the end of August/beginning of September, and still dropping apparently, since I did eat just about anything I wanted and didn't gain any weight.

John

I stayed the same also even though I did eat more than Usual, but then again I was quite Busy also, so that`s probably why.

I had lost 18 of my 25 by Thanksgiving. Then like you said, those darn cookies and candies started to flow out of my kitchen! Now I'm back up 3. Not alot, but enough.

What is one supposed to do though. Not cook? I love to cook, but I was just thinking this morning, there is no way to keep cranking great stuff out of your kitchen and not at least stay the same weight if not gaining. I need to make friends with my neighbors, so I can give more stuff away and keep cookin!

I stayed the same. I don't eat more at holidays... I just eat what I want and when I have had enough, I quit. Plus when I know I'm gonna eat more, I work out more. I try to level it all off in the end.

I don't know for sure how much I gained from the holidays in particular but I know I hadn't weighed myself since the summer and the other night I hopped on the scale at work and was shocked. I'd gained 7 pounds. I knew I had gained some because my jeans weren't fitting me like they were. I so wanted to chuck that scale but its enourmous and that wasn't feesible :LOL:. That amount of weight doesn't seem like much to some but thats on top of the 10 to 15 I'd needed to loose already.
Chocolates were my downfall and when it came to the meals.....well I didn't hold back on any of the fixings so I have no one to blame but myself because I was the one that cooked it and the one that put that fork in my mouth.
So needless to say I made a commitment to myself to turn things around at the first of the year.....I needed to take back control of my life and hold myself accountable for all my actions. So I've.....

-Quit smoking......7 days today I've been smoke free
-Quit drinking soda......would be 7 days but I caved Saturday early morning and had one :(....I was having such withdrawals from everything and it did make me feel better but now that the headaches have begun to let up I know I can stick to that too. I'm not saying I will never ever have on again but I can control it now. Hopefully in time I'll try one and find it too sweet and not care to drink it.
-I'm eating healthy now and really looking at what I put in my mouth and reading the labels. I'm eating 3 square meals a day vs. 1 and this and that throughout the day.
-I joined a gym and go Friday for my orientation of all the equipment. In the meantime I'm walking 1.5 miles a day and will increase that to 3 miles a day.

So yes....like you VeraBlue and others.....I truly caved over the holidays but now I'm on the right path and I'm feeling great.

Good luck to all of you!

I don't weigh myself regularly. I tend to go by how my clothes fit and so far they are fitting the same. I've found that the more labor intensive the meal the less of it I eat when finished. Something easy like spaghetti I tend to eat more of than the salisbury steaks I made last night.

Prior to holidays I reached my target of losing 20 pounds, making me 177. I gained only one pound over the past few weeks, but have lost that. My range now is 175-178 and, since losing the 20, I know what and how much I should be eating. So binge eating just doesn't really happen any more.

Yep, we had a huge overload of chocolate come into our house too. I've not been on the scale today, but as of a couple days ago I had been maintaining. LOL. HOWEVER, I went for a killer all you can eat sushi meal on Saturday night and I haven't been brave enough to weigh myself since then. My pants were uncomfortably tight when I got home after that meal. Oops. Talk about gluttony.

I'd say it was just water gain from the sodium in the soy sauce..

Who makes all this chocolate, anyway??

I departed the Holiday season a pound lighter than I entered it. :mrgreen:

That makes roughly 30 pounds since the end of August/beginning of September, and still dropping apparently, since I did eat just about anything I wanted and didn't gain any weight.

John

Yay for you too! I'd be happy to relieve you of a particular bottle of bourbon so it won't tempt you with all it's empty calories and empty promises of joy..

I stayed the same also even though I did eat more than Usual, but then again I was quite Busy also, so that`s probably why.

From the photos I've seen of you, I'd venture to guess that you haven't gained a pound since high school...
Am I right?

I had lost 18 of my 25 by Thanksgiving. Then like you said, those darn cookies and candies started to flow out of my kitchen! Now I'm back up 3. Not alot, but enough.

What is one supposed to do though. Not cook? I love to cook, but I was just thinking this morning, there is no way to keep cranking great stuff out of your kitchen and not at least stay the same weight if not gaining. I need to make friends with my neighbors, so I can give more stuff away and keep cookin!

While my boyfriend and I are looking forward to the day we can merge our homes...for now, it's very convenient that I still can send everything I make over the weekend home with him. Would you like to send him some of your leftovers, too??;)

LMAO! You know, I would have sent him some of our leftovers if you'd posted this a week ago.

I don't know for sure how much I gained from the holidays in particular but I know I hadn't weighed myself since the summer and the other night I hopped on the scale at work and was shocked. I'd gained 7 pounds. I knew I had gained some because my jeans weren't fitting me like they were. I so wanted to chuck that scale but its enourmous and that wasn't feesible :LOL:. That amount of weight doesn't seem like much to some but thats on top of the 10 to 15 I'd needed to loose already.
Chocolates were my downfall and when it came to the meals.....well I didn't hold back on any of the fixings so I have no one to blame but myself because I was the one that cooked it and the one that put that fork in my mouth.
So needless to say I made a commitment to myself to turn things around at the first of the year.....I needed to take back control of my life and hold myself accountable for all my actions. So I've.....

-Quit smoking......7 days today I've been smoke free
-Quit drinking soda......would be 7 days but I caved Saturday early morning and had one :(....I was having such withdrawals from everything and it did make me feel better but now that the headaches have begun to let up I know I can stick to that too. I'm not saying I will never ever have on again but I can control it now. Hopefully in time I'll try one and find it too sweet and not care to drink it.
-I'm eating healthy now and really looking at what I put in my mouth and reading the labels. I'm eating 3 square meals a day vs. 1 and this and that throughout the day.
-I joined a gym and go Friday for my orientation of all the equipment. In the meantime I'm walking 1.5 miles a day and will increase that to 3 miles a day.

So yes....like you VeraBlue and others.....I truly caved over the holidays but now I'm on the right path and I'm feeling great.

Good luck to all of you!

Good for you! Remember, a gym is only as good as how many times you go! I usually ride about 6 miles each morning, but will do the occasional 3 plus mile walk. It takes just a hair over an hour to do about 3.30 miles. You'll love getting the fresh air, if you can do that walk outside. Again, good for you with all the success you've had so far!

I don't weigh myself regularly. I tend to go by how my clothes fit and so far they are fitting the same. I've found that the more labor intensive the meal the less of it I eat when finished. Something easy like spaghetti I tend to eat more of than the salisbury steaks I made last night.

There was a time when I weighed myself each and every day, almost to obsession. It was out of control...I'd hop on the scale as soon as I put the fork down. Then I went in the complete opposite direction, not weighing my self for a couple of years. I was in complete denial, even though nothing fit and I hated to have my picture taken. It was bad state of affairs, all around, this letting the eating and food take control. Now, I weigh myself every Friday morning, regardless the type of week I'd had.

Prior to holidays I reached my target of losing 20 pounds, making me 177. I gained only one pound over the past few weeks, but have lost that. My range now is 175-178 and, since losing the 20, I know what and how much I should be eating. So binge eating just doesn't really happen any more.

Good for you!

I gained about 10 lbs. My father died November 4 and it made for such a strange and terrible holiday season that I was sort of out of control. I've lost 4 of it and am staying on my healthy eating plan again for the most part. So I hope to lose more.

carolelaine, I am the opposite of you at the moment. My mother is dying and I just can't eat. I have lost weight in the past month and didn't enjoy any holiday goodies. It makes me realize be careful what you wish for....you may just get your wish (mine was to loose weight)

Yay for you too! I'd be happy to relieve you of a particular bottle of bourbon so it won't tempt you with all it's empty calories and empty promises of joy..

I keep telling you... It must be picked up, in person, in Detroit. :mrgreen:

BTW... Now it has friends :-p

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom