Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Observations From the Battlefield

I am currently engaged in a weight, and blood glucose reduction campaign. I'm winning the battle but it still could go either way. These are thoughts coming from my experience and reactions to posts in this thread as they apply to my own situation. Far be it from me to tell anybody else what they should do.
  1. Swearing allegiance to any diet is counter-productive.
  2. Yelling with arms folded and lower lip extended that it tastes better the old way is not helpful.
  3. Resolutions to "watch it", "do better", or "try harder" without specific actions tied to them are delusional.
Here are some examples of the overall approach and some strategies I've used or plan to begin using.

I've always enjoyed fried potatoes with onion and peppers. To lighten the caloric and glycemic effects, I've lately been adding other vegetables to the pan. This morning the skillet held:
  • 2.2 ounces raw mushrooms
  • 2.2 ounces raw tomato
  • 3.5 ounces raw zucchini
Great so far; 42 calories and 4.6 grams net carbs.
Then I added:
  • 2.7 ounces raw potatoes
  • 1.6 ounces raw onion
And the numbers jump to 120 calories and 20 net carbs. So clearly any opportunities for improvement come from those last two ingredients. By the way, all those quantities are half of what I actually cooked because the first thing I did was set aside half the dish for use in a later meal.

1. Right off the bat, one idea comes to mind that is so simple I could kick myself for not thinking of it a long time ago. I nearly always cook with smallish yellow onions. By habit, I halve them, keeping one half in plastic for next time. Why not use ¼ instead.
  2. For some time now, I've been using turnips instead of potatoes in soups, stews, and simmered greens. What if I substituted turnips for some or all of the potatoes in my fried potatoes vegetable skillet? I'm not the first somebody to think of this, as is proven by 2,570,000 results in a google search for substituting fried turnips for potatoes.
Potato Turnip Comparison.jpg

So to all my fellow warriors, I wish you strength and conviction in the battle, however you choose to fight it.

When I was a personal trainer, sports nutritionist and senior fitness instructor, I studied all the "new" diet fads available and decided the best low carb diet was South Beach and the best overall diet was the Zone Diet (40-30-30), which I still follow. In addition to the Zone Diet, I also preach and practice serving sizes of 4oz of low fat protein, 1/2 cup of carbohydrates with less than 10% simple carbs, and 1 cup of vegetables. Corn and peas are NOT vegetables, they are carbohydrates! This is the same meal plan they used in the rehab center, which is one of the reasons I lost 60 pounds and manage to keep my blood sugar below 200 without insulin.

That is true. Corn is a grain and peas are a legume. But I still love them :LOL:

I am currently engaged in a weight, and blood glucose reduction campaign. I'm winning the battle but it still could go either way. These are thoughts coming from my experience and reactions to posts in this thread as they apply to my own situation. Far be it from me to tell anybody else what they should do.
  2. Yelling with arms folded and lower lip extended that it tastes better the old way is not helpful.
  3. Resolutions to "watch it", "do better", or "try harder" without specific actions tied to them are delusional.
Here are some examples of the overall approach and some strategies I've used or plan to begin using.

I've always enjoyed fried potatoes with onion and peppers. To lighten the caloric and glycemic effects, I've lately been adding other vegetables to the pan. This morning the skillet held:
  • 2.2 ounces raw tomato
Then I added:
  • 1.6 ounces raw onion
And the numbers jump to 120 calories and 20 net carbs. So clearly any opportunities for improvement come from those last two ingredients. By the way, all those quantities are half of what I actually cooked because the first thing I did was set aside half the dish for use in a later meal.

1. Right off the bat, one idea comes to mind that is so simple I could kick myself for not thinking of it a long time ago. I nearly always cook with smallish yellow onions. By habit, I halve them, keeping one half in plastic for next time. Why not use ¼ instead.
  2. For some time now, I've been using turnips instead of potatoes in soups, stews, and simmered greens. What if I substituted turnips for some or all of the potatoes in my fried potatoes vegetable skillet? I'm not the first somebody to think of this, as is proven by 2,570,000 results in a google search for substituting fried turnips for potatoes.
View attachment 37103

So to all my fellow warriors, I wish you strength and conviction in the battle, however you choose to fight it.

If any of your above statements refer to me, I'm new to this whole mess and just learning, i.e. trying to do what I think is right and trying to correct what I believe to be unhelpful to my situation. You did not specify who your list of initial comments were directed at, which leaves me a bit confused.

However, I would like to thank you for for the turnip suggestion. Never thought of doing that. I love baked turnips and will now consider using them in place of potatoes in soups. Occasionally, that is. I love my potatoes, so I don't plan on giving them up, just plan on reducing my portions.

By the same token, I'm satisfied with substituting mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes.

Another good substitute for potatoes is sunchokes. They have interesting fibre and a much better glycemic index that regular potatoes. They are quite potato like. I eat them because potatoes are nightshades and I have to limit how much nightshades I eat.

Another good substitute for potatoes is sunchokes. They have interesting fibre and a much better glycemic index that regular potatoes. They are quite potato like. I eat them because potatoes are nightshades and I have to limit how much nightshades I eat.
Thanks, taxlady. Only just realizing I don't know what a sunchoke is.:blush: Imagined an artichoke but looking at google images, I'm sure I've never cooked one, doubt I've ever eaten one, and wonder if I've ever even seen them in a grocery store. Don't remember any in Kroger. Checked Sprouts on line which says, "Not available in your area." Wonder where they're sold.
:unsure::unhappy:

Snooping around found several claims they were sweeter or nuttier than potatoes. Then I found this on Wikipedia.
Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English botanist John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:
which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men.
:LOL:Now I just gotta try them. I'm on a quest.

• 2.2 ounces raw tomato
Then I added:
  • 1.6 ounces raw onion

View attachment 37103

My mom used to do half turnip and half (or less) potato in her mash.

Sunchokes are also know as Jerusalem artichokes. They go good with Israeli couscous!

Just as an experiment, I used boiled and mashed (I actually ran them through the food processor) cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes. Once I salted and mixed them with milk and butter, no one could tell the difference!

Last edited:
I didn't know what they were either, until I just looked them up. Very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen them in the store. But because of their appearance, I likely would have passed it off as ginger.

Sunchokes are also know as Jerusalem artichokes. They go good with Israeli couscous!

Just as an experiment, I used boiled and mashed (I actually ran them through the food processor) cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes. Once I salted and mixed them with milk and butter, no one could tell the difference!

They're yummy, aren't they? :yum:

I do mine just like I do mashed potatoes. I boil the cauliflower until it's tender. Then I put it into a strainer and press out as much water as I can. Then back into the pan with a little butter, milk, salt & pepper, and whip it all up with my hand mixer. The cool thing about it is I can eat an entire medium head of cauliflower for about 130 calories, sans the cals from the milk and butter. But I don't use much.

Last edited:

One of these days I will have to try making a small amount of the mashed cauliflower. I just have a hard time imagining it as something nice tasting. We often eat cauliflower, but almost always raw. I really dislike the smell of (over) cooked cauliflower. How much does it have to be cooked to be mashable?

Hello, diabetic here :)

I think there's a lot of good advice here, and I just wanted to mention some things.

1. Every individual is different. If I knew someone the same height, weight, age, etc, as myself, and if we both followed the exact same eating plan, got the same amount of exercise, sleep, etc, our test results would still differ. Don't be discouraged if what works for someone else doesn't work for you.

2. In all the replies I've seen, fiber was mention only once. As in, "eat more vegetables and fiber". Fiber is a great aid in this endeavor - eat as much fiber as you can. I usually eat only multi-grain Wasa crackers, which has 3 g fiber in each one, and Thomas's multi-grain English muffins in the morning, with 8 g fiber, for instance. higher-fiber foods have a lower glycemic index, and help to keep the sugar count down.

3. I can eat the same food today as yesterday, and if my sugar tested 114 today, it might test 130 tomorrow. I struggle with this a lot. If I don't have enough carbs, then the counts go up as well. Then I have to add some carbs to make it go back down. Sounds backwards, but your body does need some carbs to work properly. When I was sick a year ago and didn't eat at all for 4-5 days, my sugars ran in the 180's, even with medication. OK, being sick can raise it, also.

Don't give up, don't be discouraged, and you will find out what works for you. Good luck!

(My hubby loves mashed cauliflower, and if you knew him you'd know it was a miracle. We like them drier, not soupy, but do add a bit of sour cream and butter.)

Last edited:
One site states this:

What are sunchokes?

Sunchokes are a tubular-shaped, thin-skinned root vegetable of the sunflower plant family that's in season from late fall through early spring. Often mistakenly referred to as Jerusalem artichokes, sunchokes have no origins in Jerusalem, and they really don't taste like artichokes. If anything, sunchokes can be accurately compared to potatoes, both in how they're grown underground and their earthy flavor profile. But it's possible the mix up between sunchokes and artichokes has more to do with the disenchanting root word they share: “choke.”

https://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/what-are-sunchokes

While other sites say they are known as sunroot, earth apple or Jerusalem artichokes.

It is a bit confusing.

I do enjoy turnip and potato mash. I notice that my food market has sunchokes so will most likely use all three (yukon potato, turnip and sunchoke) for a healthier version of mashed.

Last edited:
Hello, diabetic here :)

I think there's a lot of good advice here, and I just wanted to mention some things.

1. Every individual is different. If I knew someone the same height, weight, age, etc, as myself, and if we both followed the exact same eating plan, got the same amount of exercise, sleep, etc, our test results would still differ. Don't be discouraged if what works for someone else doesn't work for you.

2. In all the replies I've seen, fiber was mention only once. As in, "eat more vegetables and fiber". Fiber is a great aid in this endeavor - eat as much fiber as you can. I usually eat only multi-grain Wasa crackers, which has 3 g fiber in each one, and Thomas's multi-grain English muffins in the morning, with 8 g fiber, for instance. higher-fiber foods have a lower glycemic index, and help to keep the sugar count down.

3. I can eat the same food today as yesterday, and if my sugar tested 114 today, it might test 130 tomorrow. I struggle with this a lot. If I don't have enough carbs, then the counts go up as well. Then I have to add some carbs to make it go back down. Sounds backwards, but your body does need some carbs to work properly. When I was sick a year ago and didn't eat at all for 4-5 days, my sugars ran in the 180's, even with medication. OK, being sick can raise it, also.

Don't give up, don't be discouraged, and you will find out what works for you. Good luck!

(My hubby loves mashed cauliflower, and if you knew him you'd know it was a miracle. We like them drier, not soupy, but do add a bit of sour cream and butter.)

I LOVE the Thomas's multi-gran muffins. And they're only 100 cals each.

Great advice, thank you. And I too noticed that on a day where I ate barely any carbs, my sugar was higher than normal. I haven't cut carbs out completely, I've just cut down, like my doctor asked me to. I try and balance it out. Like if I know I'm going to have a carby dinner, I eat a carbless lunch. Today I've had a little carbs because I had a small glass of milk with my scrambled eggs. That's all I've eaten today and I just checked my sugar - 191. That's the highest I've seen it since I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my son, who is now 20.

I feel faint. And hot. Need to go outside, my anxiety just shot up 1000 points.

Today I've had a little carbs because I had a small glass of milk with my scrambled eggs. That's all I've eaten today and I just checked my sugar - 191. That's the highest I've seen it since I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my son, who is now 20.

I feel faint. And hot. Need to go outside, my anxiety just shot up 1000 points.
It sounds like you need to eat something. Your liver is releasing glucose because you haven't gotten enough calories today.

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to eat something. Your liver is releasing glucose because you haven't gotten enough calories today.

I agree! Please call your doctor if you are unsure what to do. But, don't stress, 191 is not life-threatening.

Now, for some people 191 wouldn't be all that high, but it sounds like you generally stay much lower.

I only test in the morning, before eating. I have a friend whose doctor said "test 2 hours after eating". Sometimes, it takes telling your doctor what's going on, and a bit of experimentation to get it right.

Also, please ask your doctor if there is anyplace to get some counseling. My hubby's recommended to have 25 g carbs at each meal and 15 g carbs for snacks in between and before bedtime.

I know others who need more, but they take medications. I track what I eat, and when my sugar is higher, it's usually because I've gotten down to 25 g carbs for the day.

But there are experts who can help you and will be right there for you. We all know what works in general, and for us, but you might need somebody close at hand for guidance.

I agree! Please call your doctor if you are unsure what to do. But, don't stress, 191 is not life-threatening.

Now, for some people 191 wouldn't be all that high, but it sounds like you generally stay much lower.

I only test in the morning, before eating. I have a friend whose doctor said "test 2 hours after eating". Sometimes, it takes telling your doctor what's going on, and a bit of experimentation to get it right.

Okay, guys, thanks so much.

I also believe the test strips could be partially to blame. When I went to Kroger to buy new test strips, they gave me a different brand, saying they will work with the Kroger OnSync meters. But since using these strips, my readings have been all over the place (and extremely high) and I just looked at my booklet that came with my glucose meter and it specifically says USE ONLY Kroger brand test strips. But my Kroger doesn't carry them anymore, so I just called another Kroger and they have them in stock there. So I'm going to wait until I have the correct test strips before taking my sugar again.

In the meantime, I'm eating some peanuts. I know I should have more than that. I think I'll run to Kroger and get the correct test strips and also get a couple packages of the Thomas's multigrain muffins because those are good, high-fiber snacks for me, plus they will give me some carbs, which I probably need.

In the meantime, I'm eating some peanuts. I know I should have more than that. I think I'll run to Kroger and get the correct test strips and also get a couple packages of the Thomas's multigrain muffins because those are good, high-fiber snacks for me, plus they will give me some carbs, which I probably need.

Hey, if you like crunchy (my hubby doesn't) the Wasa multi-grains are really good with peanut butter. I get the no-sugar-added peanut butter. Just one idea for a good snack :)

Glad you're OK, and yes, test strips can really give "off" results sometimes - also if they expire.

Hey, if you like crunchy (my hubby doesn't) the Wasa multi-grains are really good with peanut butter. I get the no-sugar-added peanut butter. Just one idea for a good snack :)

Glad you're OK, and yes, test strips can really give "off" results sometimes - also if they expire.

I'll try those sometime. Right now I have Triscuit Thins and Back to Nature multigrain flax-seeded flatbreads. I have a can of smoked oysters that I may munch on tonight with the Triscuits.

Back
Top Bottom