Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, we have the NHS on this side of the pond - and the pharmaceutical industry holds much less sway than in the USA.

I am also a member of this club...DX a year and a half ago but not on meds yet.

I am not good at this, eat the wrong things even though I know I shouldn't. It is hard not to since I am trying to put some weight back on DH.

Maybe I am using him as an excuse..

DH had the option of meds or not. He went with the meds figuring it would happen sooner or later and is hoping to ward off the usual complications of diabetes.

I can't say it often enough: Thank you mom, thank you Mom, THANK YOU MOM. She'll never see it on this site, and I do email and send her cards saying this. She taught me to love good food, know it when I saw it. Was ahead of her time when it came to nutrition. As a result, hubby may have been overweight, and that may have been the reason he has diabetes to start with. May have .... however, it also made it simple for him to start down the right road as well. There is nothing I cook that has to change, all that had to change was how he eats the food I prepare. I know that diabetes is progressive. I also feel oh-so-good about the way I already cook and love food.

Some of you like food-related stories, and this line is good for one. When I was a teen, we used to meet with cousins for weekend campouts at Lake Lopez. Dad would get off duty at 5 p.m. on Friday, and find the pop-up camper loaded and ready to go. He'd take a shower, slip into shorts and loafers, and we'd head out.

We'd camp out, fish (with nil success, to this day I can't quite get the concept of fish). We were a group of girls (baby would be at the camp-site with mom, and us girls were in our teens), my two cousins were boys in between us in age.

We were told to be "home" at a certain time, but let it get away from us. Holy moly. We're an hour late. We ran to our camp site and my mother (I was the eldest) took me literally into the woods and took me to task. No, she didn't beat me silly, she presented me with a truth I did not know. One cousin was a diabetic.

She simply told me the truth: Be where you are supposed to be, when you promise to be there. Period.

Of course I had no idea that this cousin had health problems. But I did learn a lesson. I'm very careful about being where I say I will be, when I say I'll be there. As the eldest, I was supposed to watch my watch. We lucked out this time, but what would I have done had my cousin gotten sick? Of course I wouldn't have had a clue.

To this day I'm a bit anal about being where I say I will be, when I say I'll be there. If I think I can't do it, I'm up-front. It scared me silly to think my cousin's health was in my hands. He recovered. I learned my lesson.

I appreciate the support. I'm proud of how hubby is doing, and proud of how I learned (as a child) to cook and eat. I'm doing my darndest to keep him off meds for this. He's lost 25 lbs, and we're cornering the fruit market in this town. Lord knows what will happen when winter comes and fruit is relegated to pretty much tasteless apples, pears, and grapes from the chain grocery store. His dietician said to buy canned, then rinse it. Any advice for the late winter months?

Since I only know about diabetes due to my dog having it, I plead ignorance here. My question: the vet told me not to give the dog carrots, bananas, watermelon, or any kind of fruit due to the sugar content. Has the theory changed? Also a neighbor I had could not eat any fruit except canned. Thanks. Only asking for my own informaiton.

In the Kitchen said:
Since I only know about diabetes due to my dog having it, I plead ignorance here. My question: the vet told me not to give the dog carrots, bananas, watermelon, or any kind of fruit due to the sugar content. Has the theory changed? Also a neighbor I had could not eat any fruit except canned. Thanks. Only asking for my own informaiton.
In the Kitchen,
as a diabetic and one who has a dog pre-disposed to it, I eat fruit and occasionally give Maggie(my dog) a small slice of banana..There is sugar in fruit, so even canned will have sugar in it. Fresh fruit, the idea is to pick the smaller apple, banana, plum, whatever it is. Canned fruit, portions should be measured accoring to how much you can handle. This is figured out by testing AFTER eating the piece of fruit. The range should be no higher than 140 2 hrs. after eating the fruit.
kadesma..

Back
Top Bottom