"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #101
Executive Chef

Since dh was put on a controlled carbohydrate way of eating we use a lot less bread, but when we do have a sandwich I get the really thin sliced bread (be sure to check the carbs on those also). It is even good for toast. The biggest problem I have is finding it. Many stores don't carry it at all. Certainly with something in such epidemic proportions, there should be a lot of food coming on the market for them.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #102
Executive Chef

Yes, and oatmeal is another good source of fiber. It's also quite starchy, but it tends to travel through the digestive system rather fast, thereby not being able to break down so readily and letting loose the starch into the blood stream.

I think also, that wild rice is also a good thing, since it seems to have some kind of hulll on the outside of each grain.

You're right, LadyC! We can't just eliminate starch from the diet altogether. We can only control it, which DOES mean eating it in small amounts and in moderation so that it doesn't get out of hand and cause the glucose level to reach dangerous levels either way - up or down.

~Corey123.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:32 AM   #103
Master Chef

I aim for bread that is 13-15 carb units per slice. My husband's doctor is VERY impressed. I guess most people have more trouble with this. Anyway, you'll see me at the grocery store, reading labels to get the right number of carbs. He eats one slice of toast in the morning. Then if he's having a sandwich, he gets two slices of bread for lunch or 3 (1 1/2 sandwiches) for dinner. Our local grocery's regular bread (baked I think at their Wisconsin store) has just the right counts. When this started we tried to do that whole grain thing, but are big believers in flavor, plus some of the whole grain products are so carb heavy that you don't get to eat enough to fill you up. I agree that Barilla's pastas in the yellow package are great and nutritious. I could live on their angel hair. But I'm not the one with a problem. I make rice, pasta, or potato for supper (1 cup of rice, 1 cup of pasta, or 1 medium potato) most days. I was raised to be a salad nut, and I doubt a day every went by when I haven't had some sort of salad. Since he got the "wake-up-call" my husband (of 25 years) has truly learned to appreciate my healthy-eating habits!

I think the greatest advantage is that neither of us has a sweet tooth. I have a package of splenda in the pantry, but don't even use that much. About 10 years ago a young (at the time 4 years old) friend of ours was diagnosed with diabetes. Her mom commented on how great it was that we had good stuff for her to eat. She thought we'd gone out of our way to avoid sugar for her! Now she's a teenager, and made a point of talking to my husband about diabetes (she has also testified before congress on the subject of juvenile diabetes). What a gal!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:09 AM   #104
Executive Chef

We don't eat much rice anymore. A cup has 45 grams of carbohydrate and DH is allowed up to 55 so it doesn't seem worth it to spend almost all of them on one item. I certainly don't enjoy food shopping as much as before but sticking to almost all fresh food, it makes it a bit easier to keep up with the count. This has truly been a different experience for both of us.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #105
Master Chef

I love Sara Lee whole wheat bread. It has 13 grams of carbs per slice, and 70 calories, 10 from fat. They make several different whole grain breads, including a white one that the kids or a picky husband will eat.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #106
Executive Chef

If you eat a bowl of either Special K, shredded wheat, Wheaties or Grape Nuts with 4 ounces of skimmed or 1% milk for breakfast and lunch and just eat your regular dinner in the evening for 2 weeks, you could lose up to 10 pounds!!

I just did it, but I don't want to lose the weight too fast. I lost 10 pounds so far, and now my goal is to lose 70 pounds possibly before or by year's end.

This should hopefully put my blood glucose level back to normal range and help get rid of the borderline diabetes.

~Corey123.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #107
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
If you eat a bowl of either Special K, shredded wheat, Wheaties or Grape Nuts with 4 ounces of skimmed or 1% milk for breakfast and lunch and just eat your regular dinner in the evening for 2 weeks, you could lose up to 10 pounds!!
Congratulations Corey

You must get hungry during the day though? I've read Apples have chemicals in them that promote weight loss. Maybe we can munch on them between meals. Not before bed though, as those same chemicals make us stay awake.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/bene...ing-apples.htm
Old 07-03-2006, 07:43 AM   #108
Executive Chef

Thank you!

I eat either a low-cal low-seet granola bar, some trail mix or a piece of fruit between meals.

Also, I drink plenty of water, which also helps to flush the kidneys of any impurities and keeps me from being tempted to eat any junk food - which I've stopped eating altogether!

In place of a soda, I'll buy a bottle of water. And drink it straight down as if it were a soda!! I just can't seem to get enough water at times! But it's good for you and better than drinking something sweet all the time!!! And when I DO buy any soda, it's diet soda.

No more cake, donuts, candy, sweets, snack cakes, regular soda, sugary juices, honey buns, potato chips, corn curls or balls or any of that stuff!!

~Corey123.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #109
Senior Cook

This is a fascinating and very informative thread. It is also very timely for me since 2 months I was notified by my oncologist's nurse that my blood test showed a reading of 302. I have NEVER had a problem with my sugar but my doctor, after getting the report from the nurse, said that since I was on Prednisone for gout, that may cause my blood sugar level to rise. He took me off the Prednisone and 4 days later I had a reading of 188. Doc put me on Avandaryl and it did the job. My level was read at 82 and 84 for two days. I got off the Avandaryl in hopes of getting something cheaper and Doc put me on Glucovance which I have yet to take. I wanted to be sure that my sugar lever was really high and not just some fluke because of the Prednisone before I started taking pills I may not need. I got a prescription for a glucose test kit and my sugar levels are reading 106, 105, and 111 during the day. First thing in the morning I take a reading after a 14 hr. fast and it reads 142 and 143. Is this high???
I am in Michigan for the summer and my doctor is in Las Vegas where I live so it's difficult to talk to him over the phone.
I eat very little sweets, no doughtnuts, cake, pie, cookies but I live on fruits, melons and berries. I love pasta (and by the way, there is NO substitute for pasta Goodweed LOL) but only eat it once a week now.
What are some foods that I should be eating? What to avoid other than pasta and other starches?? Is my sugar level considered too high at a fasting reading of 142???? I have not been diagnosed as diabetic, but this sounds serious enough so I want to avoid becoming diabetic.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #110
Executive Chef

Yes, according to what a friend of mine told me, a reading of 124 or 143 IS high, and puts you in the danger zone!

Anything below 65 is also the danger zone. Weight, sugar level, eating habits such as starches and sweets all are roads to getting or having diabetes.

This also puts you in the borderline catagory, like me, if your doc ever tells you that you have it.

~Corey123.