"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #121
Assistant Cook

Mr Corey123,
THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, your information has helped me so much, I was recently diagnosed and it's been so overwhelming I knew a little bit about how things would change since I have a couple of family members with it but oh boy this food exchange thing has had me so challenged and then top it with learning "good carbs" from "bad carbs" it's definately been an eye opening experience and I felt I really needed to tell you how so much very you have helped me through this , again THANK YOU to you and other posts on this topic

Old 08-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #122
Executive Chef

You're so welcome!! Glad to have helped you!

~Corey123.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #123
Cook

I guess I can't really complain. My team(Doctor, nurse, nutritionist) have me on 60 carbs per meal. How I choose to use them up, is up to me (except sugar).

I really miss sweets though. I had two grandmas of Austrian/Yugoslavian descent, and they both looked like (when you got hugged you almost got smothered)and cooked like it.

Along with the noodles, and dumplings came the strudel, torts, cakes, pie (sigh!) etc. All home made, all great, and everyday.

Buuuuuuuuut! whatca' gonna do.

I am working on a cream cheese brulee in meringue shells that I have in my files. I tweaked it to sugar free. Once I try it to see how it works, I will post it (if it's good)

I guarantee it AIN"T fat free or low cal though.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 AM   #124
Senior Cook

Hey Dennis, how many sweeteners you putting in that brulee of yours?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #125
Cook

Splenda to begin with, but when the others get here I will try the others.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #126
Executive Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercliff_46
I guess I can't really complain. My team(Doctor, nurse, nutritionist) have me on 60 carbs per meal. How I choose to use them up, is up to me (except sugar).

I really miss sweets though. I had two grandmas of Austrian/Yugoslavian descent, and they both looked like (when you got hugged you almost got smothered)and cooked like it.

Along with the noodles, and dumplings came the strudel, torts, cakes, pie (sigh!) etc. All home made, all great, and everyday.

Buuuuuuuuut! whatca' gonna do.

I am working on a cream cheese brulee in meringue shells that I have in my files. I tweaked it to sugar free. Once I try it to see how it works, I will post it (if it's good)

I guarantee it AIN"T fat free or low cal though.

I truly feel for you. But even though homemade deserts taste good, and they are always tempting to try, they are considered very dangerous because they have an extremely high sugar content - not to mention any white flour that is used to make cakes, pastries, etc..

I hope that you can find a way to curb your appetite for so many sweets, or at least use low-cal sweetners as you suggest.

My glucose level shot up to a whopping 194 yesterday, and I had to work peeverishly to get it down by drinking a ton of water!! I managed to get it back down. I think I was drinking more than usual this past weekend with a dear friend who is an alcoholic. Bad mistake!

But it was the weekend, and since he wasn't obligated to participate in his program over the weekend, he decided to get loose and have a few. He knows that I'm a diabetic and that I'm limited to at least two drinks a day.

~Corey123.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #127
Cook

Gee there are times I wish I was at 192. I get epidural shots for lower back pain (I shattered three vertebra awhile back). I shoot up to 400 or better, takes about a quart of insulin or so and it comes back down again.

Your right in what your saying though. I have to say it was easier to give up a thirty year two pack a day cigarette habit then pass on a piece of strudel though.

I guess i better keep reading my bible eh! ( readin' it's one thing bub!, I know, I know) (tsk. tsk.)
Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 AM   #128
Executive Chef

I had my eyes dilated and examined for glasses today at the Joslin Diabetes Clinic.

The eye doctor told me that I have the start of a mild case of cateracts! He said there's nothing that can be done right now, that they have to come in fully, or somewhat more progressive before they can be surgically removed.

And that only one eye at a time can be done, at that!!

~Corey123.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #129
Cook

I'm a happy camper today.

I went to my Endocronologist and they said I dropped my A.C. from 8.3% to 6.7% in the last 2 months. They were all happy and my reaction was "Duh! Yuh!". I am still not sure what the A.C. stands for, but I guess it is a base line for your blood sugars and really important. Any how I got a lotta "atta boys", all around.

By the way, I think they were going to rip me a new one about my cholestrol, because I eat a ton of eggs, butter, and stuff. My cholestrol came back at 96 yeah NOT 196 but 96!!!!

Score one for the FAT GUY

I want to thank those of you who helped show me how to do it especially you Scotty.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire

Way to go Silvercliff..An HBA1c tells your endo and you what your Blood glucose is averaging each day for the last 3 months. To drop that much is fantastic...keeep up the good work

kadesma