"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-04-2006, 03:16 AM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance

My daughter is terribly depressed. In one week's time, her beloved grandfather passed, she found out she had diabetes, and then, yesterday, found out that her lifelong best friend had been found beaten and murdered.
If any of you pray, please say one for my Kerrie. She is devastated.
Constance,
Sorry to hear about Kerrie's health, I will say a prayer for her. Keep an eye on her depression, because like you said, she is dealing with alot at one time.
My 18 year old son is about 30-40 pounds overweight and doesn't have type 2 diabetes yet, but he is insulin resistant, and at 18 years old, his health and diet is the last thing on his mind. Best wishes for Kerrie's health.

Gary

Old 06-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #12
Master Chef

Thank you, Gary. I will keep an eye on her...Kerrie's my only child, since her sister died 14 years ago. I see her often, as she lives just down the lane from me and I keep her little boy 2-3 days a week.
Every once in a while, I make a casserole and send down to her so she won't have to cook. I'm going to find some healthy recipes, and try to cook for her more often.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady C
She can substitute any sugars in cooking with splenda. Her real issue is she needs to control her intake (not just sweets).

I suggest she switch to 6 smaller meals per day, 2-3 hours apart and take 30 min or more walks daily. Her intake should be reduced to have a caloric intake defecit and she will start to drop weight.

Diabetes is all about controlling your blood sugars. If she mixes some fats or proteins with her carbohydrates it will slow down the insulin reponse to those carbohydrates. Have her work with her doctor to design a diet that will work for her.
my mom is a diabetic, and she too says splenda is a great sub for sugar, I will talk to her and get any recipes she may have and pass them dpwn to you :)
by the way sorry to learn of your daughters diagnosises...
Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

But Splenda is ridiculously expensive though! Who can afford it?

~Corey123.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
But Splenda is ridiculously expensive though! Who can afford it?

~Corey123.
My guess is any one diabetic who is desperately craving sweet food would be better to spend the money on Splenda and squander their health on sugar. I think its a whole attitude thing, that sweet food tastes better when we have much less of it.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
My guess is any one diabetic who is desperately craving sweet food would be better to spend the money on Splenda and squander their health on sugar. I think its a whole attitude thing, that sweet food tastes better when we have much less of it.
Lulu,
Splenda is great for some things, but sugar can be used by diabetics..Yes I know it raises blood glucose, but since it is a carb, it can be exchanged in your meal plan so that you can have that cookie or small piece of pie..I do it sometimes. I'm fortunate not to be a sweet eater, but at times I do like something sweet. In that case, I cut carbs from my meal, eating salad,veggie and a small portion of meat, fish or chicken, then after will have let's say a piece of pie. I take a normal size piece and halve it, saving half for another day. I feel many diabetics get into trouble because they are given the feeling that diabetes is a disease of YOU can never have, or do this again. And they get very tired of the looks and comments about what they are eating!!! :) We don't need diabetes police, just family and friends who care, but don't pick at us.We need to read, learn, , getting to know what your body can handle is giving you the opportunity to stay on top of diabetes.
I have to agree that many or any of us feel that sweet tastes better, thankfully I'll take savory Plus, when your life is the issue, what something costs that will help you, is unimportant, corners can be cut on other things and you can go on living and be healthy.

kadesma
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #17
Head Chef

I just re read what I wrote and realise that it looks a bit stroppy, taken out of context with my previous post on this thread! I use Splenda in food that I know I will want to eat a more than a morsel of, because I have syndrome X so have to be careful to avoid developing diabetes. I do have a sweet tooth, and I don't think splenda really hits the spot for me as sugar does, but if its that or nithing, well I take that 95% of the time. When I do want sugar then I do have it, and love it and indulge in it. Generally I thhink things taste better now I really have to decide to have them, rather than because I made it or its there so I will eat it! LOL. Even though I have a really sweet tooth the thing I miss most, and I have it very very rarely now, maybe twice a year is mashed potato. I never knew how much I loved that!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #18
Master Chef

Goodweed, this isn't the first time I've said this, but Bravo! Luckily when hubby was diagnosed he was only somewhat overweight, and we happen to like good food. We weren't "addicted" to sweets (as a matter of fact neither of us could care less), but we do love our pastas, rice, and potatoes. Now we use a measuring cup as a serving utensil. Husband has lost 25 or so pounds (he could still lose 20 or so more), gradually. I really haven't had to change my cooking methods. But for someone morbidly obese it is going to be a drastic change no matter how you look at it. Thank you mom & dad!

I reallly feel for her, but the fact is that it is going to take a real major change for someone at her weight. Getting up and walking every day really helps the diabetics I know. Even if you just start with around the block.

If the changes are too severe, to quickly, it will be harder to keep them up.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #19
Master Chef

Claire, Kerrie is walking, and taking her 8 year old boy with her. He's pretty chubby, too. She lost a bunch of weight when she was in her early 20's, but after her child was born, she never did take off her baby fat. She's been unhappy for a long time, and just let herself go.
By the way, my husband says I guessed high on her weight. It's more like 300-350 lbs. She's 5' 8", like me, but built chunkier, and 150-175 would probably be fine for her.
Thank you all so much for your input and good thoughts.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Constance,

Has your daughter's doctor referred her to a diabetes counselor? That really helped me. My diabetes counselor was very understanding and helpful. Also, I have joined a yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetes/) which has been helpful. There are other groups too--just go to yahoo groups and type "diabetes" in search. The people who belong to the group are also diabetics (or married to or parent to one), so they know the concerns we have.

Barbara

I think your link sould be changed. I have changed it in the exaple in your quote. It should work now...

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote