"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I am a type 2 diabetic with a weight problem...but I have lost nearly 60 lbs by exercising, and controlling what I eat. I take a medicine called Actos, and keep track of anything I eat.

I exercise 5 times a week using a dvd of "The Biggest Loser" work out. You can use a low impact workout available on there, it has done wonders for me...check it out.

I stay away from carbs if I can.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Alix,
Corey, might not need insulin if he is still producing his own. What happens is the cells become insulin resistant and don't do their job. We now have drugs that help increase the insulin our cells use. This along with a insulin stimulator such as amaryl which forces the pancreas to produce insulin usually get the job done. If Corey's doc is up on these meds he might suggest them, as time goes on the stimulator somethines can be lowered or dropped, once under tight control some are able to control with diet and exercise alone.
Hang in there Corey, read, read, read,!!! And get a meter and strips and test for all your worth.

kadesma

Thanks for the help, guys!!

The doctor prescribed some Metformin, if any of you are familiar with that
kind.
Since he said that I'm just borderline (type 2) right now, this medicine should help keep the excess blood sugar under control.

No insulin shots are needed, nor do I need to check my blood sugar level on a daily basis. That will be done during office visits.

He did however, recommend that I make an appointment to visit a Diabetes Center that's located near my hospital to get some curriculum on the disease and to find out about a diet and exercise program to lose weight and keep the sugar level under control. They may recommend a detection device themselves.

I can still drink alcohol he said, but only two drinks a day. Don't indulge too much into that, because alcohol has a very high sugar content - especially vodka, which is my favorite liquor.

I shudder to think about it, but I might have to drink diet soda as an alternative to regular soda. I'll know more as I go along. I DID buy a scale today to help keep track of my weight.

~Corey123.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:59 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Thanks for the help, guys!!

The doctor prescribed some Metformin, if any of you are familiar with that
kind.
Since he said that I'm just borderline (type 2) right now, this medicine should help keep the excess blood sugar under control.

No insulin shots are needed, nor do I need to check my blood sugar level on a daily basis. That will be done during office visits.

He did however, recommend that I make an appointment to visit a Diabetes Center that's located near my hospital to get some curriculum on the disease and to find out about a diet and exercise program to lose weight and keep the sugar level under control. They may recommend a detection device themselves.

I can still drink alcohol he said, but only two drinks a day. Don't indulge too much into that, because alcohol has a very high sugar content - especially vodka, which is my favorite liquor.

I shudder to think about it, but I might have to drink diet soda as an alternative to regular soda. I'll know more as I go along. I DID buy a scale today to help keep track of my weight.

~Corey123.
Corey,
I use to use metformin/glucophage, it worked really well after I was taken of Rezulin a cell enhancer that caused problems for some. The metformin works by slowing down the secretion of glucose into the blood stream from the liver. It can cause a tummy ache off and on for a week or two but it will cease and things will return to normal. It also can cause gas, but not bad, and it's well worth it as it does a great job. But I have to say this that testing your b/g levels is so important, that is how we learn about our bodies and how they react to meds and carbs, protiens in our diet..Leaving it to doctor visits only is not enough, how can we know where our levels are this way? How do we learn how much bread or rice to eat without testing? I really feel you need to talk to a diabetes educator about it..Course I'm a nut about it, but I've had wonderful HBA1c's the past 15 years and my endocrinologist had to admit it was all the testing that I've done..Sorry to get on the old soap box, but like I said I'm a nut about my blood pressure and testing Good luck..I'm happy to help anyway I can.
kadesma
Old 06-10-2006, 02:53 AM   #34
Executive Chef

DH has been testing his blood sugar daily at least and sometimes more. We are both doing the plan the diabetic educator gave us, he with 55 carbs or less a meal, me with 45 or less. I am still doing the water class and have lost 14 pounds since I've been going, but am planning to drop Curves and do the water class 5 days a week. I go early and get more exercise and swim some. I also have been swimming at home since the water got warm. I want to lose 20 pounds more, but it certainly isn't coming off as soon as I wanted. My bp has dropped to 116/60, so I'm hoping to come off the bp medication when I've made a little more progress. Will see.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #35
Master Chef

I'm appreciating this thread ... hubby at this time has problems with wine and beer, but not distilled booze (look at the carb counts). I think my biggest problem was addressed by a cousin of mine who I hadn't been in touch with for years. She calls it "the diabetes uglies". Anyone supportive of diabetics but not one themselves want to chime in there?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Corey,
I use to use metformin/glucophage, it worked really well after I was taken of Rezulin a cell enhancer that caused problems for some. The metformin works by slowing down the secretion of glucose into the blood stream from the liver. It can cause a tummy ache off and on for a week or two but it will cease and things will return to normal. It also can cause gas, but not bad, and it's well worth it as it does a great job. But I have to say this that testing your b/g levels is so important, that is how we learn about our bodies and how they react to meds and carbs, protiens in our diet..Leaving it to doctor visits only is not enough, how can we know where our levels are this way? How do we learn how much bread or rice to eat without testing? I really feel you need to talk to a diabetes educator about it..Course I'm a nut about it, but I've had wonderful HBA1c's the past 15 years and my endocrinologist had to admit it was all the testing that I've done..Sorry to get on the old soap box, but like I said I'm a nut about my blood pressure and testing Good luck..I'm happy to help anyway I can.
kadesma

Thanks, but I DID mentioned that the doc told me to make an appointment to visit the Diabetes Center to try to learn more on what to eat in what amounts, what not to eat, diet and exercise, as well as keeping track of the glucose level in the blood.

The medicine alone is NOT enough, as you said. It's a start toward trying to bring the sugar level back down to mormal or near normal. But other stuff must follow.

Claire, my dear late brother had a similar problem like that, but it was beer & liquor. He had plenty of beer at home, but while he was out during the day, he would buy more beer and a 1/2 pint or pint of vodka or brandy.

He would then leave empty beer cans and small liquor bottles in just about every room in the house. His wife, his two sons, his brothers and sisters had lost him to a sad painful addiction of alcohol! The the medicine he was taking to supposed to bring the disease (diabetes) under control.

Also, his widow just told me over the weekend that he had superindulged in eating starchy foods and sweets!!

We went through a lot of pain, sorrow & suffering being forced to lose him so tragically like that. We knew deep down that he was never going to stop. We just wanted him to cut back on his drinking, hoping that he would and things would be ok with him.

I don't think anyone cried more than his wife, his two sons from a previous marriage and myself. But at least he's not suffering now. He had a stroke, but I think it was when he went into a cardiac arrest that nailed him. Plus his liver was gone either from the excessive alcohol, the diabetes itself or a combination of the two.

He and our youngest brother were the only two brothers who were real close to me. I took care of them both when they were little. Just like my late broter's two boys. They remembered me for that and they never forgot it and they thanked me for it. I told them that their dad's passing is a lesson for everyone to try to keep themselves in check and to see their physicians on a reguar basis to make sure that everything is alright with them.

~Corey123.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Claire, I don't know what you mean by the "diabetes uglies". I know there are some who are diabetic that think the rest of the world should change because they've been diagnosed. My mother is an example of that. After she was diagnosed she seemed to think the rest of the family should always eat as she was supposed to (but even she didn't). If we had a family dinner and a dessert was taken, she asked if it was made with sugar. She hasn't followed her meal plans but is quite verbal about the fact that she is diabetic to everyone. We've tried to keep our food much the same but eliminating the excess and really watching the carbs. It is probably easier now than in the past since so many others are watching the carbs.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Have you decided to cut back on starchy or floury foods like pasta, rice, potatoes, dried beans and bread?

I'm wondering if a low-carb diet is in order now, since those things don't seem to help diabetics win the war in keeping the disease down to a minimum.

~Corey123.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Corey, I'm not sure to whom you were addressing your remarks, BUT, in my opinion the only way to really be serious about counting the carbs is to know what each food contains and make an educated decision on each one. We haven't totally eliminated any of those items, but they are now considered a very small part of our diet. There are too many other things that are better for us and don't add up the carbs as quickly. I make my meal plan much different than in the past. If we do have pasta, rice or potatoes, or even bread, it is only a small part of the meal. Serving sizes are very small in these foods so sometimes it isn't worth the trouble, but if it is something important, I include a small amount. No more big pasta dishes with garlic bread. If we do have any of that it is rarely and certainly very small proportions. I like the way I feel after having eaten a healthier meal also, not that I don't ever miss some of the things, but have only a bit instead of a large portion. It seems to be working!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Actually, I was talking to you in the last post.

But I've visited the American Diabetes Association's website and found out some interesting stuff.

Sweetners such as sugar, honey, molasses and such don't have to be completely shunned from one's diet. They can still be enjoyed as long as it's done in moderation and not overindulged.

Low-cal sweeteners such as Sweet & Low, Equal Twin and Splenda whenever possible.

Reduced fat, low-fat or skim milk may be consumed in normal amounts.

Of course, black coffee with nothing in it has zero caleries.

Starchy foods can still be eaten as long as they are eaten in small portions once a day and in moderation - not every day.

Fruits and vegetables are most recommended, but corn, potatoes, peas & beans are considered a starch.

Bread can still be eaten as long as it is whole grain.

Alcohol is limited to 2 drinks a day.

Water is essential to drink. Fruit 2-0 is said to be good.

Medication for the disease is taken with the main meal, but not while drinking
alcohol.

Fatty foods are out, lean meats are good. Fried foods out.

Margerine is not good because it is made with hydrogenated fats and oils, but butter is good in moderation, not every day though.

The same measures have to be taken when eating out as well.

This is like one having to re-invented healthy eating habits all over again. And learning how to curb or drastically reduce the bad stuff. I think I'm learning a lot of things on this disease. I wish my brother had done the same thing.

~Corey123.